Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 45ACP loads

JD45

I enjoyed the .40 thread so much I thought that a new thread for the 45 would be nice.

What is your major load?

Mine:

4.9grs. Titegroup

WLP

200gr.SWC( local caster)

1.255"OAL

Mixed brass

It smokes, but it's so cheap.

My favorite load is similar to Duane's: I use 4.6 gr. of Titegroup under either 200gr. lswc or 200gr. lrn, both MasterBlaster molycoated. Winchester LP primers. Never a failure to feed or eject with standard spring weight.

Actually, I use the same load with 230FMJ bullets, too. I know you're supposed to adjust the powder charge upward when the bullet weight is reduced, but. . . . Everything seems to work just fine at that powder charge no matter what weight bullet I load.

In Revolver Division, S&W 625 - 5" barrel

N310 x 4.40 grs. x fmj 230 grs.

Hoal. = 31,50 mm.

primer = Federal large pistol

Brass cases = Starline

.... :P .... it is a little bit .... "strong ..." (PF = 177 - 178) but it's very clean, accurate, .... every pepper go down! .... and i can shoot relaxed (i am NOT worried about Chrono Stage) :ph34r:

I really like this load:

230gr Montana Gold CMJ .45

4.0 gr Clays

1.255 OAL

.470 crimp

Winchester LP primers

Mixed brass

745 fps out of 5" Kimber = 171 PF (95 degrees, lot of humidity, near sea level)

Accurate, clean, no smoke, and soft. Plus Clays is easier to find and cheaper than VV.

WARNING: According to my book this is a max load. However I don't get any flat primers in my guns. YMMV.

When I shot .45, I liked a TMJ 200 (like the West Coast 200 SWC @ 1.245"OAL) over enough straight CLays to exceed major - though it usually took more grains that Hodgdon allows to get to Major. No problems out of an STI Edge in .45 ACP w/ ramped supported barrel. If exceeding book loads bothers you, I'd suggest V V N310 as it is outstanding, consistent powder. I believe Wilson uses it for the test load w/ his custom guns.

I'd save the Titegroup for .40. 9mm, & other high pressure rounds where it burns cleaner than in .45 (though its always consistent & cheap). Certainly could do worse in .45 (like Antique! -er, or was that "unique"?)

Ivan/BlackDragon: I think you meant Winchester 231? I started out with that powder for .45 on the advice of the guy behind the gunshop counter; it worked OK. A bit on the dirty side, but I also started out with lead & that created its own mess so I really did not notice. Same/almost the same as HP38; at least it is always available & gobs of data around. Regards, D.

I really like this load:

230gr Montana Gold CMJ .45

4.0 gr Clays

1.255 OAL

.470 crimp

Winchester LP primers

Mixed brass

745 fps out of 5" Kimber = 171 PF (95 degrees, lot of humidity, near sea level)

Accurate, clean, no smoke, and soft. Plus Clays is easier to find and cheaper than VV.

WARNING: According to my book this is a max load. However I don't get any flat primers in my guns. YMMV.

This is my favorite .45 load also. I too was cautious as it is listed as a max load. I would never have guessed that by shooting it and looking at my brass. It is very easy to shoot and no flat primers here also.

4.0 grains bullseye, 230 lead round nose, close to major(bout 170)

4.5 grains bullesye and Rainier 230 round nose about 169pf on a hot day

3.8 grains of clays and a 230 lead round nose...lots cleaner than bullseye load, and softer

4.0 grians of clays and a FMJ 230 grain...my favorite....makes major in my 45 and is clean with NO smoke...has a nice soft sound and feel.

i have also noticed with federal primers you need less of the same powders to achieve major power... federal seem to be the best, then CCI then Winchester and lastly was the ole remington primer.

many of our local die hard 45 shooters still load 231 over a lead SWC and love it..some are still using antique, or unique...

some of the guys are using WST, but i found that this powder behaves(in a 45 anyway) much like titegroup.. I didnt like it...blast sounded sharp and recoil had a fast push to it.. i would rather shoot clays in my match loads,But i will load just about anything that will burn and make major for practice.( i had 10+ pounds of bullseye, various fast shotgun powders like red dot, green dot 700x 452AA stuff like that from when i bought a bunch of used shotgun reloading stuff)

In the 45, CLAYS is KING!!!

Mine are a little warmer than most:

230 LRN, mixed brass, Federal 150 primers, 4.8 grains Titegroup for 796 fps from my Commander; or 230 FMJ, same primers and brass, 6.5 grains Unique, 830 fps also from the Commander.

Who you callin' "antique", Carlos? :D

My favorite load is over book max. but my guns like it....5.1 of Titegroup and a 230 Remington Golden Saber, or West Coast 230 TMJ. Suggest you follow Hodgdons data and go from there (I believe their web site shows 4.8 grs. of Titegroup and a 230 as max.

Accurate and brass has held up well. Very clean burning as loaded.

Paul

5.15 grain of Vihtavuori N320 over a 230 grain RN CMJ Frontier bullet. Fed LP150 primers and OAL of .1250"

Gives me a 180 PF in my old S&W 625-2. It's accurate and consistent. I had a 10fps spread on the chrono.