Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm sti mags

gunner40sw

I have a 9mm edge I am going to start shooting and I have 8 sti stock mags so what I was wanting to know is how are people setting up the internals followers, springs. Will I need to add spacers and how do the taran butler base pads work

I think there is a difference between true 9mm STI mags and 9/38 tubes which are common among open shooters? I'm thinking you don't need spacers for your 9mm mags. But I'm not 100% sure as I have only bought and used 9/38's. They need spacers for 9mm usually. I silicone mine in and they usually make it all season before they come loose. Then I take them all the way down and clean and reapply silicone.

You will get more capacity by switching to Grams internals and aftermarket base pads. I use Bolens/TT's on mine.

STI 9 and 38 super bodies are the same. The 9 uses the spacer and a different follower. If you bought STI 9 mags they should have come with the spacer. Some people have success running the super follower and no spacer with 9, particularly with long loaded 9. I haven't found a downside to running the spacers so I haven't bothered to try without them. I have used the STI plastic and Hardy metal and not glued either of them in.

Just to confuse things, the SVI 9mm mags do not use or require a spacer. The tube is different than an SVI super tube.

Hello: Use the Hardy stainless steel spacers and the Grams springs and followers from Shooters Connection. I don't glue them in since I can clean them better when they are not glued in. I also get the 170mm spacers and cut them to fit the base pads I am using in the 140mm tubes. I also use the Dawson followers as well with ISMI springs. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Steel spacers and I bevel the backs at the top that way they sit flush at the rear of the mag.... Grams internals with Dawson bases and do not glue the spacers. U need to beable to remove them from the mag to clean good

Edited by calvinc78

One more question the gun came with one o the funky guiderods that I want to replace. I have a Dawson tooless guide rod sitting in a drawer not being used so I was thinking about using that. What pound guide rod spring do you use

8# is pretty typical

Wasn't thinking when I posted 8. That's in my open gun. The edge is probably sprung considerably higher.

Edited by Sarge

When I bought some mag tubes back in 2005 the paper in the bag had a different listing for 9/38 tube and a 9 tube. These were 140mm tubes. I always wondered if they had true 9mm mags without spacers.

I think there is a difference between true 9mm STI mags and 9/38 tubes which are common among open shooters? I'm thinking you don't need spacers for your 9mm mags. But I'm not 100% sure as I have only bought and used 9/38's. They need spacers for 9mm usually. I silicone mine in and they usually make it all season before they come loose. Then I take them all the way down and clean and reapply silicone.

You will get more capacity by switching to Grams internals and aftermarket base pads. I use Bolens/TT's on mine.

Anything marked as a 9MM sti mag is a mag that comes with a spacer if you had to purchase the complete magazine. For complete reliability for 9mm in an STI magazine a spacer should be utilized. Also when I was shooting STI 9MM I used STI internals and spacers. They do not need gluing etc. They stay put, don't rattle, and in my set ups work 100 percent. I can get 21 reloadable with stock STI base pads, springs, followers, and spacers in a 140MM magazine. 28 with my 170's,

Edited by PINMAN44

Brownells list two distinct part numbers for 9 and 9/38 mags. Don't know if the difference is just a spacer or if they are built different.

All it is is a spacer and follower for 9mm. The feed lip dimensions are the same. It's a 38 mag with a 9mm follower a poylmer spacer.

The mags came today and the package is marked 9x19 and not the 9x21 .38 super. So does that mean I will not need spacers

The spacer and associated 9mm follower should be inside the assembled mag. You can see the black polymer spacer at the back of the mag behind the feed lips... or you can remove the baseplate and see it when it falls out. :cheers:

Brownells list two distinct part numbers for 9 and 9/38 mags. Don't know if the difference is just a spacer or if they are built different.

All it is is a spacer and follower for 9mm. The feed lip dimensions are the same. It's a 38 mag with a 9mm follower a polymer spacer.

Grams makes a spring and follower kit specifically for use with spacers in STI mags. They are easy to fit and will give you more capacity over the STI guts.

what kind of fitting is required for the grams spring & follower to work in STI mags... my Steel Match came with one mag..i bought several more... they don't load as easily as the one that came with my pistol.. (from dawson precision).. i would like to upgrade my other 3 mags to work as good as the one that came with my pistol.