Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun problems

quedude

I have a STI custom built 38 super which was originally built buy Chris Tilley that I bought used last year. After I purchased the gun I found that it had issues. The hammer was following and I sent the gun to someone that shall remain nameless. After shipping the gun to Texas several times and pay out the you know what for some one to throw parts in it and still have the same problem with the gun less than 5 months of getting the gun back. I don't know what to do I have no faith in the person that supposed of fixed it. Looking for advice who to send it to that won't keep the gun for months and ruin my entire season. I live in Kansas City and would travel to see a quality gunsmith that could possible fix on the spot. If anyone knows somebody that they would recommend please for me the information.

Thanks

Have you checked this by manually cycling the gun and checking for hammer follow, or does it only happen when you are firing the gun? I have had problems with hammer follow in the past, there can be a number of possible causes, but one thing you can check is your disconnector is worn. If your disconnector is not extending far enough above the frame by just a few thousandths, you will have this problem.

Edited by 1911Prof

The grip screws are tight. The gun is a M.E.G Custom which I believe used to be Chris Tilley. All the internal parts were supposedly replaced with a new grip last September and it doesn't have 1000 rounds down the pipe since the repair.

In the Kansas City area I would suggest you call Bob Hunter at 816-284-0545. I understand Bob is semi-retired now but if you contact him he might be able to help. If you want a longer drive you could call Otto Matyska at Ottocomp here in St. Louis. 314-638-3327. You will be hard pressed to find a better gunsmith anywhere on the planet.

Good Luck!

Marty

A-7424

I hand hammer follow through at nationals that cause the gun to double and triple fire :-(. The sear spring was wrong size. It was slipping to the left. Quick fix was scotch tape and I was able to finish nationals.

It could be as simple as that......I did replace the sear spring with an SVI tri-glide which is longer and wider. Never had the problem again. It can be that simple sometimes.

I had the same problem last summer with my open gun built by Krebb's. I replaced virtually all the parts from another custom 1911 with very low round count and still the same problem, the hammer following the slide and usually going into half cock. This was the first 1911 problem I could not figure out. Krebb's no longer builds pistols but I called Mark Krebbs to see if he would look at it and of course he said yes. Since Krebbs is close to me I drove the gun down to him. During this time I aquired a complete set of internal parts including sear, hammer, springs, over size pins etc. Mark was able to get the gun runing with these new parts. The only thing I can think of that made the gun work again was the oversize pins as this was the only parts I did not replace. Also since most open guns have light triggers, in the 2.5lbs to 3.0lbs.range, it doesn't take a lot of wear, especially on the hammer and sear, to cause these issues.

Went to Hunter Customs and met with Bob who is a super nice guy and he determined that the work that was performed last September was not completed to any kind of standard that the gunsmith was known for. Therefore I left the gun to order parts and get the the gun fixed correctly. If parts are available I should not miss a match with it. I will let everybody know when I get it back and thanks so much for the reference that got me in touch with Bob at Hunter Customs.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Hunter Customs to pick up my gun and found that the previous gun smith to me to the cleaners. One of the problems what that the hammer, sear, and dis connector were not replaced but I was charged for by the other company. Bob changed the parts and found that the new STI grip that the other company installed is not right. The groove that holds the sear spring is twice the size of other grips allowing the spring to fall off the sear. Bob is a great guy and will be back to Hunter Customs is I need any more work done.

• 2 months later...

Just a update we found that the grip that the previous gun smith that to me to the cleaners installed a grip that the sear spring pocket was way out of spec allowing the spring to work it's way out the pocket. I replaced the grip with the STI aluminium and have no problem with the gun since. I think the new STI aluminium grip rocks and don't me polymer grip again anytime soon.

Sorry for the delay.

Bill

Glad to hear you guys figured things out. I talked with Chuck at STI about the new style grip, he inform me it can handle major power w/o any issues. How does it feel in your hands vs the polymer ? Feel, weight & such. Thanks.

I think it is the Cat's meow it is just a little bit narrower than the polymer and the fit was absolutely incredible. I'm not a gunsmith but I installed it with out any problem. There is not any flex in the grip that I felt while shooting polymer. As far as the weight it feels that it is a little lighter than the polymer. Sound crazy but I shot a buddies 9 major gun on Tuesday and it felt heavier than my super, it's probably in my head. I shoot Para for a limited gun and the aluminium grip on my open gun feel a lot like the Para. I love so much that if I owned more STI 2011's that they all would have one!