Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major - Cracked Slide

BillChunn

It was explained that take a steel wall hit it with a hammer then a hit in a different spot with a thin rubber mat in between. What happens?

The hammer comes back and whacks you in the forehead? :yawn:

Edited by Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

Since all my guns have been Acc-U-Railed by Doug Jones and the barrel is an Infinity from SV, another slide from SV has been ordered. The frame still has Doug's rails on it so the new slide will have to be milled and fitted.

Doug ordered the slide from SV in 9mm and now the waiting begins.....

BC

• 1 month later...

The new slide has arrived from SVI and Doug has railed it. We met today at lunch and designed how it was to be carved so it should be ready for backup work at the Ohio Championship in ten days. Hopefully the primary open gun will function flawlessly and the "black gun" will sit in the range bag.

With all the craziness going on and Brandon working on an out-of-the-country shipment at SV, two months is not too bad for a slide. The up side was that Matt finished the "silver" open gun right after the black one broke.

BC

I glad for you that the gun is back together.

On the question of recoil buffers or recoil masters, I have not used either and I was surprised that my new Trubor came with the recoil master removal tool, but a standard guide rod.

Makes me wonder if they are getting away from the recoil master concept.

Edited by ramairbrc

I run a 10 pound spring, and a Sprinco limited guide rod in my 9 major. Some people just wont listen when you tell them

it's to light of a spring in there gun. They heard some top shooter was running it, so that's what they are going to run.

I run the spring that works best for my gun. First is make sure the gun runs then I go for how it feels the tracks. I take one sight picture and double tap the gun if the second shot is low I go lighter if its too high go heavier

Called STI today they are replacing the cracked slide in Warranty. Gun was built in the 90's by Briley, 38S converted to 9 maj 3 years ago about 20k a year, no buffer, 10# spring. I have to say they stand behind the product!

So is SVI replacing the OP's?

Edited by CocoBolo

Hello: I have a shorty 9mm slide that I am pretty sure is cracked. It has been lightened to the max but not by me. I need to have it magnifluxed to see if the crack is just in the hard chrome or all the way through. I am thinking it is all the way through. Thanks, Eric

Called STI today they are replacing the cracked slide in Warranty. Gun was built in the 90's by Briley, 38S converted to 9 maj 3 years ago about 20k a year, no buffer, 10# spring. I have to say they stand behind the product!

Nice to see that STI is helping you out.

So is SVI replacing the OP's?

No. Went through Acc-U-Rail (Doug Jones) as he is one of the few authorized resellers for SVI parts. The frame has Doug's rails so he's the 'smith doing the slide.

Will be picking the gun up after lunch and hopefully it's done, with the exception of the coating on the slide. It'll still be "in the white" but I'd prefer to go to the Ohio Championship with this as my backup gun, even if it doesn't look all purrrrddddeeeee. Will have to sight it in on the range tonight as we leave tomorrow at 7:30 AM to get to Cincinnati in time to see some of the match staff shoot.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Well as stated, it ain't purdee but it shoots! Doug recommended a little different cut on the slide, kind of a modified Tri-Top. The cuts flare out before reaching the ejection port, leaving more metal to prevent the inevitable cracking.

BC

post-27119-0-44794000-1369334608_thumb.j

post-27119-0-70812300-1369334649_thumb.j