Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock by one of our own!

Carlos

John Nagel (AKA Mad Scientist) just built my new open gun and it is fantastic! So far, I have shot only a few hundred trouble free rounds but John has had this gun in R&D for over a year. He has endured problems involving cracked factory Glock slides, selection of scope mounts (none suited his needs so he built his own!), ejection issues, etc. All the problems have been overcome & my gun is the result of his hard work. site1012.JPG

The slide is a custom-machined Caspian. The barrel is a KKM supported 9 major with 3 hybrid holes. The excellent titanium 7 port comp was done by another forum member, Brian Hawley at Expiramental Machining. Many of the trigger components started out as Lightning Strike parts as modified. However, the collection of parts would not work without John's extensive R&D. Here is another picture:

site1010.JPG

John may be building more of these; look for guns from Nagel Custom to make an impact in the comming season. Regards,

Douglas

Douglas ... very cool gun.

Does it have any problems with the slide whacking the scope mount because the frame flexes? If not, how did the builder overcome the tendency for that problem? Did he find a way to stiffen the frame, or does the mount somehow accomodate it?

Carlos,

Thanks for all the kind words. I am verry pleased how this gun turned out.

a big thanks goes out to the L Strike folks they are great to work with .

as far as frame flex goes there is none on this mount that is apearent .No metal transfer that I have seen.

The r-d work started 3 years ago with the Idea of making a Glock solly for uspsa open class work. I have gone thru many setbacks but stuck with it even under advise that I should give up.What you see now is the result of that work . To say the least I am proud of this project and look forward to more chalanges with the Glock platform.

Johnnie :rolleyes:

I've seen a couple of Glocks set up for open, but all looked like amateur dremel jobs. This is the cleanest open Glock I've ever seen. Really a beautiful job. I've got a friend who's been trying to get his open Glock to eject right and is ready to pull his hair out. Any hints on how you solved the ejection problem?

New guy,

Thanks for the compliment I realy tried to come up with a package for Glock people that you guys could be proud of when you show up on the line to compete with the S-I crowd. The look , the feel, the balance ,

the performance have all been tested in real match environments for 3 years. I think that my craft will only get better with feed back from the shooting public.That is why I have been a regular contributor on this Forum. If you listen carefully people will tell you what they want.

The real test on any gun no matter how cool it looks or how well it performs is reliability . To make a open gun run you have to have have a machine shop at your disposal . I make my own ejector post that makes tunning easier and I make my own parts for the exstractor system. The parts are made one at a time for each project as a service to the people that have had faith in this project.I wish it were a simple parts swap that makes these guns run but the tolarances that you work with on a mass produced gun are not always the tightest.

Open guns with a low scope present much problems getting the case out of the gun and individual tunning of each gun can be frustrating.

as each one is a little to alot diferent on the final specs . hint exstractor tension needs to be higher and the ejector needs to be tuned

to eject more out and you may need to lower the port.

Johnnie

770 402 1290

• 2 weeks later...