Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo's future availability?

robmont

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad I am working overseas right now . It doesn't gain me anymore ammo but it gives me the opportunity to buy ammo and components I find at reasonable prices , get on waiting lists and not erode the one year buffer I spent several years after Obummers first election rebuilding . I have always purchased 3-6 months worth of components at a time since like everything else in life buying bulk saves you money . I don't know when its all gonna end but I am glad I am not at home wondering if I can afford to shoot up the last of my stash in a particular caliber .

I'm not having any trouble finding practice grade 22LR now. Getting some of the higher end match stuff is a matter of price rather than availability which is a marked improvement from before.

I'm also seeing that popular competitive calibers such as 9mm are available now, but the price can still be pretty high. The orders that I put in late last year and early this year for cases of 9mm have been coming in over the last couple months so I've learned my lesson. I'm never allowing myself to get caught like that again where I had no 9mm for about six months. I'll restock much earlier now and make a big 40S&W order around the time I plan on switching over to Single Stack USPSA from Production.

It looks like we're seeing the beginning of the end of the craziness. I'm guessing we'll be back to more equalized market conditions by the end of the year.

My fear is that the ammo situation will go the way of gasoline. After every crisis gasoline prices would rise to unsupportive levels and then as the crisis subsides the prices would fall but remain at higher levels. While higher prices are prefferable to not having enough ammo or reloading components, the next crisis (whatever the source) would create more fears and hoarding which will ounce more cause shortages and higher prices.

The orders that I put in late last year and early this year for cases of 9mm have been coming in over the last couple months so I've learned my lesson. I'm never allowing myself to get caught like that again where I had no 9mm for about six months.

Yes, I learned that lesson the first time Obama was elected, so I stocked up on reloading components in nearly all of my calibers during the election when I realzed where it was going. The mistake I made was to assume that .22lr would always be available... and of course I can't reload .22lr. The irony, of course, is that I'm now totally into shooting my 10/22 in Steel Challenge-- ha!

Edited by jkrispies

My fear is that the ammo situation will go the way of gasoline. After every crisis gasoline prices would rise to unsupportive levels and then as the crisis subsides the prices would fall but remain at higher levels. While higher prices are prefferable to not having enough ammo or reloading components, the next crisis (whatever the source) would create more fears and hoarding which will ounce more cause shortages and higher prices.

Yeah...I wish I could tell you that your concern is unfounded, but it does seem that the political class could create these demand spikes often enough to raise prices for the long term. Gas prices are partially a function of the geopolitical climate (who is vexed in the Gulf and what could they do to the supply chain?) and I suspect we might be in a time where domestic US politics plays a key price influencer for firearms and ammunition for the long term.

Yes, I learned that lesson the first time Obama was elected, so I stocked up on reloading components in nearly all of my calibers during the election when I realzed where it was going. The mistake I made was to assume that .22lr would always be available... and of course I can't reload .22lr. The irony, of course, is that I'm now totally into shooting my 10/22 in Steel Challenge-- ha!

I'm not that smart so I didn't see this one coming. I knew that there would be a run on semi-automatic long guns and magazines, but it never occurred to me that I would get burned on pistol ammo much less 22LR. So, yeah, my buying habits are now permanently altered and any sort of ammo that is critical for my competitive shooting will not drop below at least a thousand rounds for 22LR and much more for anything I'm shooting for USPSA.

I had to sit on the beach for about three months after starting on USPSA because I couldn't get ammo. Never again.

I had to sit on the beach for about three months after starting on USPSA because I couldn't get ammo. Never again.

What!! I would love to sit on the beach for 3 months.

LOL!

Funny, I just traded some 12ga birdshot to my father-in-law for .22lr that was sitting in his safe forever. He had a box of 50 with a price tag of $.78. Those days are gone!!!!

Problem is the casual shooters are learning what we learned years ago, that you should stock up so you don't get caught without ammo to ride these things out. Problem is, they are buying up all that ammo now, at these crazy prices. I was able to walk into Walmart this weekend at 6pm and saw they had some ammo in stock. Picked up a couple of boxes. I tend to use them as a gauge, since they are usually some of the last ones to get restock of ammo for some reason. I'd say we are a couple of months before you can find ammo fairly easy, and about 6 months before we see full shelves again and can walk into any shop and get any caliber ammo you want. Luckily I was able to stock up and can ride this out.

I'm still waiting in IL...the best I can say is just keep your eyes open for any ammo and DON'T indulge price gougers by paying their outrageous prices. That only fuels the frenzy and makes you feel like an idiot when the ammo supply stabilizes. I've occupied my time with an unbelievable amount of dry fire and draws...and I'm putting a 1911 together until ammo shows up.

Regards,

John

I'm still waiting in IL...the best I can say is just keep your eyes open for any ammo and DON'T indulge price gougers by paying their outrageous prices. That only fuels the frenzy and makes you feel like an idiot when the ammo supply stabilizes. I've occupied my time with an unbelievable amount of dry fire and draws...and I'm putting a 1911 together until ammo shows up.

Regards,

John

+1 all around.

Ammo's not available, so I'm saving what I have for competitions and dry firing a lot... and spending my "saved" money on hardware like the quality scopes, holsters, and shot timers that I always wanted/needed but never had the funds to purchase.

I'll tell you right now, there's no way in the world I'm going to donate my money to an ammo gouger. As far as I'm concerned, they can be lumped together with the politicians who started this mess.

Edited by jkrispies

CCI's at Natchez again. As of 0930 eastern time, small pistol and small rifle in stock.

Yeah but, with the maximum order of 2000, once you add shipping and hazmat, you will be at about the same price level as the gougers!

Mike

..... As for me I don't think I'll ever buy less than 500 or 1000 of anything ever again.

I completely agree. My biggest problem in the future will be storage space...

On a slightly more positive note, last week at the Cabela's in Springfield, Oregon, I was able to buy some large pistol primers. I happened to be in the store just after they had unloaded the truck, and they had one case (5,000 primers) of about every size of primer. It didn't look like the sort of replenishment order that would have been placed by the store because it was just one case of everything, but at least CCI was shipping. Now, Cabela's is a big retailer and I'm sure they are near the front of the line due to contractual commitments from CCI, but still, good news.

I've also heard (hopeful) stories of no shortages in Idaho and Montana. I'll be going through both states later this month so I'm going to make it a point to stop and look for ammo and components a few times.

This panic has been more severe than most previous ones I remember because, I think, of the direct attempt to get rid of the AR-15. That alone has brought a lot of brand-new gun buyers (for ARs and basically anything that will go Bang) on to the scene, and they had zero ammo, so they are making the problem worse. The new people are also getting into reloading in a big way (or they are driving many of us who have never done it to reloading), causing backups at Dillon and presumably other reloading equipment makers.

Chris

I just when to the Sportsman's Warehouse in "Mizooula" today and they had all sorts of components and powder today. If I remember correctly, they had a bunch of HSM(Powerbond) plated bullets, Speer bullets, Accurate powders, (Rem, CCI, etc.) primers @ $36/thousand, and more. I just did a quick look and most of this was not there three or so weeks ago. The last time I checked this store out there was one 250ct box of HSM .357 158gr PHP bullets, some empty (display?) Vihtavuori powder bottles and a few other things on the shelf. They do have some sort of limit on the quantity you can buy of each item, but I didn't bother to remember since I left with only one item.

..... As for me I don't think I'll ever buy less than 500 or 1000 of anything ever again.

I completely agree. My biggest problem in the future will be storage space...

On a slightly more positive note, last week at the Cabela's in Springfield, Oregon, I was able to buy some large pistol primers. I happened to be in the store just after they had unloaded the truck, and they had one case (5,000 primers) of about every size of primer. It didn't look like the sort of replenishment order that would have been placed by the store because it was just one case of everything, but at least CCI was shipping. Now, Cabela's is a big retailer and I'm sure they are near the front of the line due to contractual commitments from CCI, but still, good news.

I've also heard (hopeful) stories of no shortages in Idaho and Montana. I'll be going through both states later this month so I'm going to make it a point to stop and look for ammo and components a few times.

This panic has been more severe than most previous ones I remember because, I think, of the direct attempt to get rid of the AR-15. That alone has brought a lot of brand-new gun buyers (for ARs and basically anything that will go Bang) on to the scene, and they had zero ammo, so they are making the problem worse. The new people are also getting into reloading in a big way (or they are driving many of us who have never done it to reloading), causing backups at Dillon and presumably other reloading equipment makers.

Chris

I just when to the Sportsman's Warehouse in "Mizooula" today and they had all sorts of components and powder today. If I remember correctly, they had a bunch of HSM(Powerbond) plated bullets, Speer bullets, Accurate powders, (Rem, CCI, etc.) primers @ $36/thousand, and more. I just did a quick look and most of this was not there three or so weeks ago. The last time I checked this store out there was one 250ct box of HSM .357 158gr PHP bullets, some empty (display?) Vihtavuori powder bottles and a few other things on the shelf. They do have some sort of limit on the quantity you can buy of each item, but I didn't bother to remember since I left with only one item.

Next stop: Missoula!

Next stop: Missoula!

There's a posting on armslist that mentioned the Sportsman's Wearhouse in Bozeman gets its ammo shipment in on Friday morning, which may also be the case for the store I went to (on a Friday evening).

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1735648/bozeman-montana-ammo-for-sale--tons-of-ammo-at-sportsmans-warehouse-yesterday-and-today

Regards,

John

+1 all around.

Ammo's not available, so I'm saving what I have for competitions and dry firing a lot... and spending my "saved" money on hardware like the quality scopes, holsters, and shot timers that I always wanted/needed but never had the funds to purchase.

I'll tell you right now, there's no way in the world I'm going to donate my money to an ammo gouger. As far as I'm concerned, they can be lumped together with the politicians who started this mess.

I'm going to agree with you on this, and add to it. After this is all said and done, remember who those price gougers were, and don't give them your business then either.

CCI's at Natchez again. As of 0930 eastern time, small pistol and small rifle in stock.

Yeah but, with the maximum order of 2000, once you add shipping and hazmat, you will be at about the same price level as the gougers!

Mike

Which is why i haven't shot in 3 months... out of Primers and Powder. Hodgdon says end of year if lucky, Primers just don't exsist... MG is a crap shoot...

I started playing my guitar and writing songs again till Jan, then my CD will be out and then hopefully i can start shooting 300-400 rounds a week again... if i can't shoot that much, it's not worth the time, extra money or hassle at all!!!

Which is why i haven't shot in 3 months... out of Primers and Powder. Hodgdon says end of year if lucky, Primers just don't exsist... MG is a crap shoot...

I guess it pays to be diligent and a little lucky. I have been shooting 2-3 times a week since the Newtown incident, and have more components on hand now than I did at the time, and have not paid any inflated prices. Primers are the toughest, but I managed to get 10k WIN SPM's when they were available from PV about a month ago.

Mike

Eureka!!! Went to wally world at 7:30am this morning for some paint. Sporting goods happened to be next door and they had Federal Auto Match .22lr at non-inflated prices! Limit one box per customer, so I sent my wife out for a 2nd box-- she got there at noon and they were all gone. Said she thought I was exaggerating when I told her to go right away because they'd be sold out by lunch. "No, honey, I wasn't exaggerating!!!"

New to this crisis but I can't help but blame most of the continuing shortages to "hoarding" and "flipping". Until there is a bit more sanity in those two areas I should expect the situation to continue.

Chuck