Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono at IDPA

NicVerAZ

I am going to go to my first sanctioned match and was wondering what the chronograph procedure was like.

What distance is the chronograph placed at, for instance? How many rounds are audited? Is there an appeal process? For instance if you average at 130, there is a small statistic chance that slow rounds are picked out.

Chronograph three (3) rounds at a distance of ten (10) feet using a

gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same

gun type. If two (2) of the three (3) rounds exceed the power floor,

the competitor is in compliance. Prior to each shot, the muzzle of

the gun should be elevated to move the powder charge to the rear

of the case, thus giving the competitor every chance to achieve

maximum velocity.

Should the competitor’s ammunition fail to meet the power floor,

the competitor will have the option to chronograph three (3)

additional rounds through his gun.

If there is any question as to the bullet weight, a bullet should be

pulled and weighed using a powder scale. Any competitor whose

ammunition fails to meet the minimum power floor will be

disqualified from the entire match and receive a DNF score.

I've been to 7 or 8 sanctioned matches in the past 13 months. One match did a chrono check of everyone's ammo. One match did spot checks. The others did nothing. So you may find that no check is even performed. If they do chrono and your ammo is running at 130pf with typical velocity standard deviation I it is statiscally very unlikley you will have any trouble. I usually run in the 130-132 range.

Additionally, some matches will run your ammo out of their gun so you don't have to waste time. If it makes power from their gun you are fine, if it doesn't make power they will ask to use your gun.

Chronograph three (3) rounds at a distance of ten (10) feet using a

gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same

gun type. If two (2) of the three (3) rounds exceed the power floor,

the competitor is in compliance. Prior to each shot, the muzzle of

the gun should be elevated to move the powder charge to the rear

of the case, thus giving the competitor every chance to achieve

maximum velocity.

Should the competitor’s ammunition fail to meet the power floor,

the competitor will have the option to chronograph three (3)

additional rounds through his gun.

If there is any question as to the bullet weight, a bullet should be

pulled and weighed using a powder scale. Any competitor whose

ammunition fails to meet the minimum power floor will be

disqualified from the entire match and receive a DNF score.

Additionally, some matches will run your ammo out of their gun so you don't have to waste time. If it makes power from their gun you are fine, if it doesn't make power they will ask to use your gun.

Exactly how I do it.

IF you fail to make POWER Floor from my guns, the I let you know that you need to see me AFTER you have finished the match. If you come before you've finished the match and you fail, the MD's generally, but not always, will let you continue to shoot for no score. By coming after you have shot, you have shot!

I suppose that would be a good time for a double charge!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to go to my first sanctioned match and was wondering what the chronograph procedure was like.

If there is a chrono stage, expect a box check for pistol size and a weight check too. Your gun would most likely pass both, but it is up to you to make sure.

At the Florida State, the "CoF" for equipment check and chronograph was:

Stage Procedure:

DO NOT HANDLE GUN UNTIL INSTRUCTEDThree of shooter’s rounds will be fired from

shooters gun, one round will be pulled and

bullet weighed. (They did not actually pull bullets that I saw, took the shooter's word for weight.)

Gun will be weighed, fitted in the IDPA box, and externally examined for IDPA compliance.

Scales/Gun Weight:Gun meets Division weight.

IDPA Box:

Gun with magazine inserted fits in IDPA Box

IDPA Division:

Gun meets IDPA requirements for Division

Gun Safety:

All safety devices functional (The checker fiddled with my 1911 considerably to see that the thumb and grip safeties were hooked up.

Other Equipment : Meet IDPA rules

In 2005 I was able to participate at Nationals. One side "stage" was the chrono stage. A bunch of chronos all aliened to assure that one malfunctioning chrono wouldn't sink a competitor. After stating my bullet weight I fired one round that just got over power factor. The tester asked me if I wanted to fire another. I said "no" and was on my way. Since then I make sure my loads have a power cushion.

If there is a chrono stage, expect a box check for pistol size and a weight check too. Your gun would most likely pass both, but it is up to you to make sure.

My local which also hosts the state will usually have a stage where you start with yout gun in the test box. It kills two birds with one stone.

More often than not, there is no chrono but your a cheat if your ammo won't make PF. That's why not making PF is a DQ not a PE or FTDR.

As for the shooting of others reloaded rounds, I know a hand full of folks that I would shoot their ammo in one of my guns. A big hell no to shooting everyone's reloads in my guns.

Put as much steel as you can into the match and that will tend to keep people honest or at least level the field back out.

In 2005 I was able to participate at Nationals. One side "stage" was the chrono stage. A bunch of chronos all aliened to assure that one malfunctioning chrono wouldn't sink a competitor. After stating my bullet weight I fired one round that just got over power factor. The tester asked me if I wanted to fire another. I said "no" and was on my way. Since then I make sure my loads have a power cushion.

1 rd fired isn't a chrono stage that could be upheld. The rulebook states 2rds are required to be over PF and the 3rd to ensure PF IF the first 2 don't make it, and if the PF isn't obtained from the match gun, the shooters gun is used, but if the shooters gun is used then a DQ is incurred for failure to make PF.

Even if there is a chronograph at a match more often than not, it's the honor system as to what the bullet weighs.

Exactly, but I have DQ'd an couple of cheaters.

The chrono keeps the honest people honest.

I tell people to 7000 - 8000 over on the minimum division PF.