Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Eagle 9mm owner - NY resident, need source of 10 round mags

lksyotas

Hello everyone, I just purchased my first 2011 handgun today - an STI Eagle 5" 9mm. I've owned a few single stack 1911's over the years and sold my last one a year ago. Looking to get back into a 1911 (2011) style gun mainly for IDPA, steel, and 3Gun. I've been shooting a Glock 17 and 34 for past six years in competition. Just missing that sweet single action trigger. To complicate things, I'm a NY state resident and within the next month will need to have secured enough 10 round magazines to last me as our new unconstitutional law states that after the 15th of April, we will no longer be able to buy magazines in excess of 7 rounds. And all of my preban "standard" capacity mags are now illegal to possess so I'm moving them to relatives in PA.

So my dealer I purchased the Eagle from said he can order 10 round STI magazines but it may take a month to get. Anyone have a place that may have them in stock? I'd really like to secure these before its too late. I know how hard it is currently finding any magazines nation wide due to the circumstances our country is in but I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys.

Also, once I have them, is there anything I will need to do to make them reliable? I've been searching high and low for information on these particular magazines but I haven't found much. I've read that standard capacity mags usually work fine in IDPA due to only being able to load them with 10 rounds. I'm concerned that the "10 round" mags that I buy may have issues as they will be fully loaded due to their designed capacity.

Any other advice on this new gun is also appreciated. Its my first 2011 and I don't know anyone personally that has one that I can talk to about issues or things needed to make these guns run as reliable as my Glocks. Thanks everyone and sorry for the long winded post...

Edited by lksyotas

Oh sorry... just noticed...2011. I think that Tripp only does Skinnys! Call Chuck at Shooters Connection, he'll be able to help you.

Hi

I'm in Jersey but I shoot USPSA out in Freeport as well. I ordered mags from tripp research. I'm going to start shooting single stack .45. Give them a call. Their mags and customer service are great and I got the stuff in a less than a couple of weeks.

Good luck with everything.

Jan

Edited by Jan R.

Oh sorry... just noticed...2011. I think that Tripp only does Skinnys! Call Chuck at Shooters Connection, he'll be able to help you.

Hi

I'm in Jersey but I shoot USPSA out in Freeport as well. I ordered mags from tripp research. I'm going to start shooting single stack .45. Give them a call. Their mags and customer service are great and I got the stuff in a less than a couple of weeks.

Good luck with everything.

Jan

thanks Jan for the response, I had Tripp mags when I owned my STI Spartan in 9mm. They ran flawlessly and the build quality was top notch. I just called Shooters Connection and they are out of the 2011 10 round mags and do not know when they will be restocked...Darn...

I appreciate your comments though!

Brownell's has 10 rounders in their catalog but have no idea if they're in stock.

Shooter's Connection always has a good supply of everything so give them a try too.

I checked with Brownells this morning - they are in the same boat as Shooters Connection - they have no idea when the next round of ordered mags will come in. Looks like I bought the gun at the wrong time - I'll be sitting with a beautiful gun and no mags to feed it! LOL...

I checked the classifieds and it appears the one for sale is standard capacity - and Gunbroker doesn't have any 10 rounders available anymore... I'll keep my eyes out - thanks guys for providing the heads up though!

Edit - just found someone selling 10 rounders back in January, fingers crossed he has some left...

Edited by lksyotas

I ordered more magazines from Dawson a couple of weeks ago, even though they showed them as out of stock and said they didn't know when they would have them. They shipped as soon as they showed up and I got them last week.

If the mags are not date stamped how would one know when they were purchased

There in lies one of the biggest issues with the new law. I won't get into this in great detail as this is not the place to discuss but in short our local law enforcement has publicly stated that they will not be able to uphold this new law so therefore they do not stand behind it. To further the issue, all of my preban AR and Glock magazines that I've acquired over the past ten years at a premium cost are now illegal to possess. So in short, the NYS government has made law abiding citizens like myself potential felons overnight. I have no choice but to surrender my magazines that hold in excess of 10 rounds over to the police, sell them out of state, or dispose of them permanently. Time to move...

As a former LEO in NY and still a NY resident I would say , in 99% of the situations , you'd have to somehow call attention to yourself to warrant an LEO to go and find your mags and then check them to see how many rounds they hold and how many you loaded into the pistol....in other words not worth my time and energy UNLESS you were somehow doing something else fudged up that called my attention to you.

Also the date issue is one I argued with a fellow LEO about some time ago during the other AWB. I held up two magazines and told him one was pre-ban and one is post ban and defied him to tell me which was which....he couldn't. And he is what in the department is considered to be a "gun guy" and handling them for about 5 minutes while I stood there in silence watching.

NOW having said all that my brother and sister LEOs on this forum can verify that in EVERY department there is a number of people who seem to delight in being a.......Different In Cerebral Knowledge type person.

and those people make the rest of us cringe because they almost always seem to be the ones arresting the county executive's daughter for spitting on the sidewalk or the mayor's kid for walking their dog without a leash etc...

Long winded way of telling you that I'm not telling you to disregard the law but I fail to see how even experienced gun guy LEOs could enforce these laws on the shooters who only shoot competitions. Most LEOs go no where near these functions and unless when you leave one you drive like a you know what I don't see cops going to a shoot and demanding a halt to the proceedings while they check every person's equipment for illegal magazines.

I have a "friend" who owns many items that will be banned by this new law and other stuff thats supposed to be registered and hes going to "ride out the storm" and wait until after the lawsuits are done before doing anything with his stuff. There are court actions in their beginning stages and there is a general consensus that the law will be struck down at least partially.

IMHO and I'm NOT A LAWYER I would keep my stuff and only load the required # of rounds the match you're shooting in will allow. You could buy a separate bottom piece for the mag in question and have a block welded to it to prevent loading more than "X" # of rounds and use that block when shooting in restricted states and remove it and put in your standard bottom when shooting in non-restricted states.

IMHO and I'm NOT A LAWYER I would keep my stuff and only load the required # of rounds the match you're shooting in will allow.

I've received notices from two NY USPSA match directors NOT to show up at any matches

with mags that hold more than 10 rounds - not disagreeing with you, but I'd be careful

where I brought 10+ mags. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Status updated...I guess it pays to wait. My dealer I purchased the gun from emailed me today letting me know the 10 round magazines I put on backorder arrived and shipped. Now I wish I hadn't "jumped the gun" and bought several mags for a premium...hindsight is 20/20...But at least I'll have more than enough mags now to keep me running for years to come!

Edited by lksyotas