Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you don't have one... (roller handle and lube)

shane8168

I made two changes in my loading process lately. First, I started lubing my 9mm brass with Lanolin and HEET Iso, made a HUGE difference. I was getting an arm workout!

Second, and most importantly, I bought the cheapest roller handle attachment on EBay I could find. HOLY COW, how did I ever live without this little thing! For $18 my loading life has changed... I'm 6'4" 240 pounds and in fairly good shape, but pulling the handle on my LnL is light night and day now compared to before.

I started using Hornady One Shot Case Lube about a year ago on 9's now I use it on 40 & 45's in my 650 as well. Made a huge difference with the 9's, not as much with the others but you can still tell.

I should clarify, I started using the One Shot when I went to the U-Die on 9mm and noticed a lot more resistance.

Edited by Cowboy1629

Maybe so for a progressive. I never loaded with lube on my LCT and never had an issue. I lube the cases now for the 650 but don't really notice a whole lot of difference. It does seem to help a little bit though.

Yeah I've never lubed any brass and I've loaded with both a Dillon 550 & 650, loading 9mm, 40, and 38 Super.

If it helps ease your reloading then by all means, no two people are the same. But I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure it helps and all, but then what do you do with all that lube? I don't want it on my loaded ammo, and I don't want to add 2 more steps to my loading process.

But yeah the roller handle is a no brainer. I had the cheap plastic one on my 550 and thought it was nice, but after getting my 650 with the aluminum handle I thought "How did I ever put up with that crappy plastic one?" Lol It's like night and day, similar to having the standard handle vs. roller.

Edited by Chris Keen

Which roller handle did you get?

This one maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f21c77417

I made two changes in my loading process lately. First, I started lubing my 9mm brass with Lanolin and HEET Iso, made a HUGE difference. I was getting an arm workout!

Second, and most importantly, I bought the cheapest roller handle attachment on EBay I could find. HOLY COW, how did I ever live without this little thing! For $18 my loading life has changed... I'm 6'4" 240 pounds and in fairly good shape, but pulling the handle on my LnL is light night and day now compared to before.

Edited by Jerome

I just started using Hornady Case Lube for 9mm and it's made a hugh difference on my Hornady LNL. I spray the lube along the sides of a large zip lock bag, pour in some brass, shake it around a bit then dump it in the case feeder. Also, Federal primers made primer seating much easier for 9mm cases.

I don't use it for .40 because I run these cases through a GRX full sizing die and lube didn't help the press run any better. I think I might try the lube and skip the GRX tedious process.

Hornady Case Lube is a dry lube. It doesn't leave a oily finish so I don't remove it.

Same here, it's not like Dillon's case lube. You can't tell you put anything on the case. I usually spray mine when the cases are in the case feed hopper before starting or when I add more cases.

Lubing cases, easier on the brass, dies, press and the operator. Only way to go. Have shot with the lube on the case and tumbled if I wanted them to shine either way will work.

Spend a little time inspecting cases before dropping them in the hopper especially 9mm. I'll chunk military cases and other swagged cases. Military cases have a smaller case volume.

What are you all doing to REMOVE the lube from your finished round?

I'm using Hornady One-Shot, but you can also use Silicone Spray (cheaper, more readily available too). What I do it lay a few hundred pieces on a towl (sides up) and lightly spray. I then take the towel and bunch it up, and shake it.

The lube doesn't have to be removed because at least for me, there isn't a lot on there. Try it...see if it makes a difference!

I use a little lanolin for lube. You don't need to remove it but I toss my loaded rounds (except for frangible) into the tumbler for 5-15 minutes. That removes the lube and any tool marks from the brass. Most impartantly... It looks purdy.

Which roller handle did you get?

This one maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f21c77417

Jerome,

That's the one! Bill is a great guy too... really fast shipping!

I started loading on a progressive press in ’87 when I got a 550. Never used case lube on pistol cases until a couple years ago when I tried One-shot. It made a noticeable difference in the ease of resizing, but was still a nicety and not a necessity. When I started using a U-die (.38 super) that is when I felt it became a necessity. Just a light spritz over the case tray prior to reloading is all it takes and there is no noticeable residue or lube like when using lanolin or imperial with rifle cases. I’ve also used the cheap-o CRC silicone spray from wally world and it works pretty well also.

I wouldn’t use the lanolin type lube on pistol cases, but one shot or silicon spray is a winner in my book.

Still using the stock Dillon round ball handle with a baby sock on it. I figure if I get a new press I’ll try a new handle at which point I’ll probably wonder why it took me so long to get one!