Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UH OH, Getting an Iphone

I don't really need one but the old flip phones are about extinct. Verizon has some good deals on the 4S. Is it a good phone or should I spring for a 5? Keep in mind I don't plan to be looking at it all day every day.

You are in so much trouble. My wife got me a druid phone. This thing is so big, if I fall in water I'll drown. All I wanted was to be able to make calls and answer calls. I miss my samsung flip phone. If it was good enough for Capt Kirk etc. Unless you've got some serious computer skills hiding somewhere, lotsa luck.

Get the current generation hardware. Apple is much more likely to include all new features of any new version of iOS for the current iphone 5 (even after a 5S or a 6 is out) than they are for the 4S. That is, here's this wizzy-wow new feature but it only works on the latest-and-greatest and also the 5, not available on the 4S.

Get an Android. I've got both & find the Android to be much more intuitive & user friendly. Samsung is making leaps and bounds over Apple in technology with the new Galaxy S4, due out in March, such as "native gestures" (just one small example is when the phone rings, you need only put it to your ear, instead of touching the screen to answer a call). Not to mention Swype is the most user intuitive keyboard you'll ever find.

Also I love how when I'm making a call, my Android fills in the remaining digits when I start typing numbers that it recognizes. My iPhone doesn't recognize a stored contact until I type in the last digit. I can also just type a persons name on the phone pad, instead of going through the long, drawn out process of pulling up the contact list or doing a search.

They also plan to release a Mini version of the Galaxy S4 which would be a nice small form factor phone if you don't like the larger phones out now, like the Galaxy Note. But with that said my Samsung phone us only a tick bigger than my iPhone 4, and I find it to be just about perfect in size. However when my contract is due for renewal I'll probably either get the Galaxy 3 which should be cheap, or hold out for the Galaxy 4, both of which are bigger than what I have now.

Edited by Chris Keen

I was just the opposite. I had Android for a while and absolutely hated everything about it. That said, I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything else. I prefer Mac OS over Windows as well...for me it's quite the difference. I thoroughly enjoy Apple products, can't same the same for Windows/Android.

My son knows my limitations and he said stay away from the droids because I'll never figure it out as easily as an Iphone. He ought to know. I've bought him every phone known to man over the last 5 years! :goof:

Keep in mind I don't plan to be looking at it all day every day.

What you plan to do and what will you end up doing now that you'll have a smart phone are two very different things... :roflol:

I'm sure. I'll end up being one of those people who never pays attention to what's going on around me. You know, the kind of people I really don't like.

You are in so much trouble. My wife got me a druid phone. This thing is so big, if I fall in water I'll drown. All I wanted was to be able to make calls and answer calls. I miss my samsung flip phone. If it was good enough for Capt Kirk etc. Unless you've got some serious computer skills hiding somewhere, lotsa luck.

The iPhone's pretty intuitive, in ways that other phones weren't for me.....

My son knows my limitations and he said stay away from the droids because I'll never figure it out as easily as an Iphone. He ought to know. I've bought him every phone known to man over the last 5 years! :goof:

To get back to your original question: There's not a huge price differential between the 4S and the 5. If you need more than 16 gigs of memory, that might limit you to buying a 5 -- don't know if the expanded memory is available on the 4S anymore.

I'm happily living with a 16 gig iPhone 4, but will probably need to upgrade later this year, as I'm now charging the phone at least daily. Bill Noyes makes a good point about future support -- especially if you like to hang onto a phone for two years or longer. That would push me toward a 5 if I had to buy right now.....

Personally I'm holding out for what replaces the 5, later this year....

Sarge, my old thunderbolt droid just gave up 2 weeks ago when HTC did an update. Served me quite well for almost 2 years. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Should have made the change sooner. HUGE screen, very intuitive, super long battery life ( it will last almost 2 days even with heavy usage) and it comes with a built in stylus. 99% of all the surfing and posting I do here on the forums is done by smart phone, since I travel so much....this response is by smart phone...soon you'll be doing this too.

Keep in mind I don't plan to be looking at it all day every day.

What you plan to do and what will you end up doing now that you'll have a smart phone are two very different things... :roflol:

That's the damn truth. After our tuesday night match is over, many of go over to a nearby mexican restaurant to eat. I was always struck by what I perceived as the ludicrous spectacle of everyone getting out their smartphones (such as they were then) and looking at emails and showing everyone else the latest cool video and I thought "that will NEVER be me". Yeah.... right..... 1 month with an iphone 3GS and I was doing the same thing. I check email all day long on my iphone when I'm out. I'll look at the occasional website. Hell, I even text now, and I NEVER thought I'd do that. (I still wouldn't do it if it weren't for Siri, that is, being able to send a msg via voice recognition.)

I have a 4s, the wife has a 5,

Spend the extra money and get the 5, for me the only real difference between the 2, is the 4s is 3G, and the 5 is 4g lte.

And the download speed on the 5 is 10x faster than the 4s.

I know it don't sound like much now, and I used to think that way, until I started to use my phone as a hotspot for my other devices,

Think dial up vs cable Internet

if you can wait, I've read on-line rumors that apple is releasing a new iPhone in March, which means the price on the 5 may drop.