Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 with case feeder or 650 without

Here's my deal: I have a 550 without a case feeder. I need to get my son a square deal b and a case feeder for myself. Or, give him the 550 and buy me a 650, but I cannot afford the case feeder for the 650. What do you guys think?

550 with the casefeeder is my first answer. I still would like to know what you plan on loading. Some loading pattern may show a need for the 650. You can wait on the feeder.

+1

Thats how I did it. I admit I didnt last long before I ordered the casefeeder though. Love it now.

I have been using my 550 w/out case for so long and it was ok...but when i installed a case feeder , it was a night and day convenient....plus i can control the turning of the shell plate especially loading 9mm with the case almost full of powder.....no spill.

I just ordered the 650 without the case feeder with the intention of ordering it when I work a little overtime. I used my buddies 550b and messed up a couple of cases not having them seated correctly, progressive rookie mistake on my part use to a single stage.

I said the same thing years ago to get the case feeder later, i sometimes wish I had one but the time in between refilling the tube is my break to QC the finish product. I choose the 650 for its autoindexing function and when Im in my reloading bench its my R & R. For now it supplys the rounds I need and when I get around to get the case feeder I would probably say to myself "why didn't I have this sooner".

Enjoy the basic 650 for now and determine what works for you.

650 all the way. I think the biggest advantage of the 650 over the 550 is the auto index and 5 tool head stations instead of 4. This will allow you to run either a powder check or a bullet feeder and still seat the bullet and crimp in separate operations. Get the 650 w/out case feeder now if you have to and then you've got lots of room to upgrade in the future with case feeder and bullet feeder! :)

Get the 650 and buy a case feeder later. Make some brass feeder tubes from PVC until you can afford the case feeder.

Can you give me the specs on the PVC tubes for the case feeder? Size, how it attaches and is there any kind of special fitting that is needed to make it attach. How many does he have and how many cases can he get per PVC tube?

Thanks