Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with my 8 shot

cliffwalsh

Going from my revo to single stack is not easy especially the reloads. Are there any habits we get from revo shooting that work against SS shooting and reloading. I am getting pretty good with not squeezing the trigger before I get to the target.

Anything else???

I've found it's easier for me to practice with the 1911 trigger and then switch to my Revo than the other way.

My SS shot to shot splits starts suffering fairly quickly when I focus on the Revo. I lose that short, quick slap needed for the 1911.

Make sure your index finger is along the front of the mag. Then hesitate just as you insert the mag into the well.

That hesitation seems to line things up better. As you practice it, it becomes almost imperceptible. Kind of like keeping the Revo trigger moving all the time, it's more of a sub conscious thing.

If you have an extended mag release, watch the off hand or you'll drop a mag while firing.

Also, give both parents a big glass of wine before you tell them you've discovered that you are Gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :/

I thought that was OUR secret.

Cliff, I truly hope this response makes you chuckle. Since we disagree about the 8 shot revoes, my first thought after reading the title to your topic, was did you check with anyone in Production or L10. Just trying to make you laugh. I do respect your passion for revolvers, Ed

Also, give both parents a big glass of wine before you tell them you've discovered that you are Gay.

I thought that was OUR secret.

:roflol:

My main problem is how she points. I'm in the market for an arched mainspring housing and intend to tape as much as the division allows. Other than that just tuning down the reloads to be sure about the seating and insertion points. It's hard to move slowly enough to shoot a semiauto after so much revolver.

Edited by Matt Griffin

LOL, funniest thing I've read in long time. O-Lay!!

I tried real hard to switch hands with the revolver during reloading and just could never get comfortable with it. Sounds like it is a good thing I did not change. I don't seem to have a problem switching from revolver to autoloader and the other way around.

My main problem is how she points. I'm in the market for an arched mainspring housing and intend to tape as much as the division allows. Other than that just tuning down the reloads to be sure about the seating and insertion points. It's hard to move slowly enough to shoot a semiauto after so much revolver.

Agreed after shooting Revo for a few years I had to go to an Arched MS and a short trigger on my 1911, to get it to point correctly.

Cliff, when I shot the WSSS, especially after a day of revo first, I had four unintentional shots fired for the match. (all of them went into the berm, so they weren't unsafe, just earlier than i planned on shooting them) The first one was on the first stage, shooting at a small uspsa target at 20-22 yards. I got to see through the rear sight notch for about 1/20 of a second, then the 1911 was in recoil, and I instantly thought oh c*#p, don't start unintentionally discharging on the first stage... then I heard the ding and realized that I hit the darn thing and I should continue with the rest of the stage. Proved to me that using those aiming things on the gun really does work!

So I have to really really concentrate on keeping my finger off the trigger until I've made that decision to fire. I'm so used to taking up the trigger and prepping the revo for the shot, that with a good 1911 trigger that has minimal take-up, short press to sear break and sub 3lb weight, I often don't recognize that I've fired the gun.

So the earlier advice of keeping the finger outside the trigger guard is solid advice.

I use the same grip for all handguns, so I haven't had a problem with hitting mag releases or binding cylinders. I shoot with both thumbs forward, pointing to the target, so they stay out of the way on both systems.

As for the reload, I do opposite things with the two guns. As soon as the moon has cleared the revo (support hand reload with strong hand maintaining the shooting grip), the revo is pointed straight down, with the cylinder at belt level, but shooting hand elbow up. I palm the moon into the cylinder, then rotate the support hand, closing the cylinder and obtaining the firing grip at the same time.

With the single stack, I do the opposite. The gun stays high in my vision as I pull it in closer to the body. I try to be able to look over my fingers on the grip and see my next target when I'm not looking the mag into the gun. Take a look at Travis Tomassie's open gun reload on you tube. It's been posted for a few years now, but it contains all the efficient movements to make a good auto reload.

So to answer your question, no, the mechanics of running the two guns are different in my opinion. The other basics of shooting; sights, trigger press, follow through, grip, they all remain the same, just slightly tweaked for each weapon system based on your needs.

I call it the psychic thing - reading your palm. Put your hand in front of you where you were going to read something written on your palm. That's pretty close to where the gun should be for your reload so you can see the magwell and look past the front sight to the next target.