Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! I bet that cost a pretty penny

I worked with Matt at PM and he put together a real nice package deal for me. $6k shipped. A buddy and I went in together, but it gets to stay at my house. :goof:

Edited by ajg308

The initial outlay was $3500 including the cost of materials for the enclosure. The nice thing is when I upgrade, all the stuff I have acquired since then will work on the next mill.

Now if I had a buddy that I could have spit the cost with I would have gone bigger!

That's a great deal and a great friend indeed!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

While searching for cnc conversion i ended up finding OG'S thread here and read thru it and ended up going with the same mill that he built.

Think i am right around $3k still need a few things to go with it.

I eventually will like to close it in for using coolants, but while i am still larnig to use it i am cutting wood. it is a little more forgiving than metal.

20131224_135638_zpsor8ut42g.jpg

One of the first thing made while learning.

2 days to figure out how to make the gcode and about 15 mins to cut it.

20131225_220417_zpseb1rlz7l.jpg

First attempt at Cerakoting.

It is quite a process and is all prep. Took me all day to do 2 guns and they are not without issues. I have a little orange peeling on a grip safety and one drip on one of the extractors that I did not catch and I had to do the slide twice on this gun.

I started to get the hang of it but I still need to find the sweet spot with my spray gun and I definitely need improved lighting. I will shoot this for a while then bast it and do it again after some more fine tuning. But all things considered it turned out better than I thought it would for the first time.

Now need to dial in a load. Could only find AutoComp so I grabbed 8lb. If you have a pet load lay it on me. I have 10MM mags so I can load long.

fin004.jpg

fin003.jpg

fin001.jpg

fin002.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Thanks!

120 Grit Aluminum Oxide and I have a little compressor so max pressure at 100lbs and my smallest nozzle. But after consuming the Cerekote propaganda I will be switching to 100 grit because the 120 does break down quickly as mentioned in the instructions.

But the 120 leaves a sweet finish on the gun.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

For anybody out there reading this most awesome thread and considering jumping into cnc here's the beginning of what will be a series of blog articles by Bob Warfield on bench top cnc mills. Cnccookbook is a pretty cool resource anyway for anybody looking at or already into this. Particularly the g-code tutorial!

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2014/01/08/ultimate-benchtop-cnc-mini-mill-part-1-the-donor-mill/

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is been a year so I think it is time for the review in pics. Been a great year and I would really want to give a BIG thanks to all of you who have posted in the thread and helped a brotha out!

I hope I can be more focused in 2014 with more complex and innovative ideas if not I will just keep ripping off the masters! :devil:

Without further delay.

41-1.jpgdone.jpg

fin.jpg

tpfright.jpg

gripnew.jpg