• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is much enlightenment to be found in following the path of:

" watching the sun pass each day from the stationary place you chose."

I have tried that path...

miranda

Edited by Miranda

I'm not sure where to start so I choose not to.

Your avatar perfectly reflects that statement.

:D

What's an Avatar? A big blue creature invented by hollywood?

Yes (it's inseparable from your background).

While your trying to reach that unfocused autopilot state, you are actively concentrating on "not" concentrating, focusing on being unfocused. IMO, until you get to the point where you are shooting just to shoot and smell the gunpowder and hear the report, and not for score or to beat the other guy you wont get to that "zen" state. And thats my pot stirring post for the day.

Focus on being unfocused? Love it! LOL!!! I do that at work all day.

I think I'd advise to try something other than "to focus" on any one thing or precept. Trying to Focus on something to exclude awareness of all other things is very difficult and sometimes undesirable. It's much easier to simply be aware of items of interest and prioritize. Let it come to you without excessive effort rather than try so hard that the pressure to focus hinders your ability to see what is obvious.

I think I'd advise to try something other than "to focus" on any one thing or precept. Trying to Focus on something to exclude awareness of all other things is very difficult and sometimes undesirable. It's much easier to simply be aware of items of interest and prioritize. Let it come to you without excessive effort rather than try so hard that the pressure to focus hinders your ability to see what is obvious.

Top-notch advice from TGO!

Almost Zen, I guess ... I was reminded while practicing the other day that "Slow is smooth; Smooth is Fast" when I quit spastically flailing, attempting to go faster. When I went slow and smooth, I eliminated much of the quick but unnecessary movements.

I saw TGO describe watching the sights on a vid clip the other day that changed my focusing methodology in the same manner as above. He said that most folks only see the sights as they're breaking the shot and when the sights return to the shooter's line of vision between eye and target. This is how I've shot Bullseye for eons and what complicated my IPSC target acquisition. My timer proved that moving my eye with the sights in recoil proved faster but FELT terribly slow - not the feeling I "needed" to convince myself that I was going fast.

Live and learn, I guess.

Mark

My .02... Since the human mind can only concentrate (really concentrate) on one thing at a time, the trick is to so completely train oneself in any discipline, whether it be shooting, working, fighting, etc, that the actions are automatic. Then, while participating in that discipline, one can enjoy the complete experience and the mind's subconscience side will take over the learned functions, and whammo! Zen-like performance. When we shoot a run, or make a play, or throw a tecnique, and it's PERFECT, we say, "wow, that was Zen!". No, you just let go and let your mind's mind take over. Oh, to be in that place more often... As I said, my .02...

• 2 months later...

My .02... Since the human mind can only concentrate (really concentrate) on one thing at a time, the trick is to so completely train oneself in any discipline, whether it be shooting, working, fighting, etc, that the actions are automatic. Then, while participating in that discipline, one can enjoy the complete experience and the mind's subconscience side will take over the learned functions, and whammo! Zen-like performance. When we shoot a run, or make a play, or throw a tecnique, and it's PERFECT, we say, "wow, that was Zen!". No, you just let go and let your mind's mind take over. Oh, to be in that place more often... As I said, my .02...

I think - when a guy is lucky enough to first stumble upon the zone/zen experience - it's a hook - and will keep you coming back, again and again.

It has been said you really do not know how to do something completely,until you have done it wrong and fixed it.Shooting is done completely when all else is removed and your just shooting. Your not trying to be faster than last time,your not trying to beat someone else's time or hits, just shooting. Your a complete shooter when your all smiles on the inside.

• 3 weeks later...

True story, before every stage, I can visualize every shot, aware of every movement, see every A, even feel the pebbles under my feet. But when the buzzer sounds, the inner dialog makes an unwelcome appearance and says, "You sure, Bro?"

True story, before every stage, I can visualize every shot, aware of every movement, see every A, even feel the pebbles under my feet. But when the buzzer sounds, the inner dialog makes an unwelcome appearance and says, "You sure, Bro?"

In that case, and in most cases, the inner dialogue appears as the result of doubt - I didn't call that one...

• 2 months later...

forumers,

Understanding how to turn off off a flashlight
and knowing what you see then.

welcome to zen...

For most folks this will lead to a discussion of the knowledge needed
to exit the room without relighting.

For others it will be an explaination of seeing
that 'know' and 'understand' are not always interchangable.

miranda

forumers,

Understanding how to turn off off a flashlight

and knowing what you see then.

welcome to zen...

For most folks this will lead to a discussion of the knowledge needed

to exit the room without relighting.

For others it will be an explaination of seeing

that 'know' and 'understand' are not always interchangable.

Maybe, never?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0787951404

I've studied Zen since childhood after reading Musashi's 'Book of Five Rings". The search for mushin is put into western terms very succinctly by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in one of his earlier works "Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play"

I highly recommend this for those seeking the 'Zen' mind.

Having said that, be mindful of the Zen saying:

'If two men meet on the road and one asks "What is the Dao?" And the other man begins to answer him, neither know.' ;)

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2

Edited by KellyTTE