Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hit factor math

Nimitz

I should probably know how to do this but don't .... what I'm looking for is the number of points that 1 sec of time equate to in minor PF?

Ex:

If you shoot 100 pts in 10 secs that a HF of 10.0

If you now shoot only 90 pts but do it in 9 secs you still get a HF of 10.0

So, 10/1 = 10 which means each 1 sec of time is worth 10 points so I can drop 10 points so long as I go 1 sec faster and still get the same HF ..

But if I change it to only 50 pts in 10 secs that is a HF of 5.0. Dropping total points by 10 again and lowering my time by the same 1 sec only yields a HF of 4.44 so in this example 10 points does not equate to 1 sec of time.

Is this not a constant relationship or am I screwing soemthing up?

What i'm trying to understand is how much accuracy I can sacrifice and still produce the same HF? I'm asking because at the FL State match i shoot last week even though I had the 3rd highest "% points shot" & 4th highest "total number of Alphas shot" I finished in the bottom thrid due to being much slower than everyone else. The top 10, while not significantly lower in % points & Alphas, they were still measurably lower than me. This has got me wondering if it would be prudent to sacafrice a small amount of accurancy for speed?

hit factor is points divided by time... So yes someone can have lower points scored on a stage than you but if they were faster could beat you... Like you stated you have a 100 point stage you get 100 points and shoot it in 20sec... That's a HF of 5.00 and I get 85 points and shoot it in 16 secs... That's a HF of 5.31.... Lower points would win...

Edited by calvinc78

Hit Factor is a measure of efficiency. Understanding this is the key to doing well at USPSA matches.

When evaluating a plan, determine how fast you think you can shoot it and about what amount of points you can get. Use these to estimate a base hit factor for the stage. Then start looking at other ways to shoot the stage and see if the HF increases or decreases. This method requires you to know your shooting level very well.

As a general rule though, accuracy is almost always favored over speed. Most average shooters will shoot a stage in the range of a 4-6 HF (in my opinion). So assuming a 5 HF, every Charlie you drop means you need to be .4 seconds faster just to match the base hit factor. That is more than enough time to ensure that a C becomes an A at most reasonable distances.

Now consider a HF of 10. For every C hit, you would need to be .2 seconds faster to break even on the hit factor. Somewhere between 5&10 is where speed is starting to be favored; the time savings is usually in movement speed, not shooting speed.

Is this not a constant relationship or am I screwing soemthing up?

it's not a constant relationship. If you are getting more points than the top 10 in a state level match, you should try to speed up, but not to the point of not seeing your sight and knowing where its going.

If you are 'much' slower, then find out why and work more on that aspect of your game. Are you moving slowly? making decisions slowly? taking too long to acquire targets? taking too long on followup shots? There are many places you could be losing time.

Thx all. I've only been shooting a year and focusing 100% on accuracy, I stopped using my timer early on because it was causing me to rush too much. Now that I'm consistently shooting around 90% of pts the Fl State results got me wondering. As an example, Frank Garcia, the winner, shot a stage in 17.5 secs with 27 As, 4 Cs and 1 D. I shot the same stage in 34.5 secs with 32 As. He finished first and I finished 39th on that stage ...

I've just begun a new phase of training where my focus will be on movement while keeping my hit % the same as I get ready for Area 6 in April but I was just wondering if I was missing something. It is interesting to note that as the point total gets smaller speed becomes relatively more important. Our normal club matches are long field courses and we rarely do those short speed courses I saw at the State match

This has got me wondering if it would be prudent to sacafrice a small amount of accurancy for speed?

Absolutely. :devil:

Especially for C shooters - probably for B shooters - even, in some cases A shooters.

Not Masters, I wouldn't think - they need BOTH to win.

As an A open shooter, I agree completely. The closer I get to Master, the more them points matter. Gotta have both.

This has got me wondering if it would be prudent to sacafrice a small amount of accurancy for speed?

Absolutely. :devil:

Especially for C shooters - probably for B shooters - even, in some cases A shooters.

Not Masters, I wouldn't think - they need BOTH to win.

Nope. You'll get owned by the folks who won't sacrifice accuracy for speed, and who'll meet or hang close enough to your speed to beat you with a higher hit factor.....

You have to know your capabilities and how to maximize them on any given stage. If you encounter something that will slow you down compared to your competitors, better not leave any points behind.....

You find a stage that you know you can blaze through beating your competition's time, still scoop up all the points you can get -- you may need the cushion later....

The balance between speed and accuracy is an everyday evolution that changes with every stage, and really between targets. Going fast for some is easy, shooting accurately for some is easy. Now shooting fast and accurate is the wrench that wrecks the whole thing. Strange things happen when the buzzer goes off.

The balance between speed and accuracy is an everyday evolution that changes with every stage, and really between targets. Going fast for some is easy, shooting accurately for some is easy. Now shooting fast and accurate is the wrench that wrecks the whole thing. Strange things happen when the buzzer goes off.

Very true. LOL

I don't agree that just because you are currently slower means he practices more than you. More likely he's been shooting longer than you & therefore technically he's been practicing more than you ... in the past. I currently train 3 days/week; I know for a fact that 2 of our local Master class shooters don't train more than a couple of times a month yet they still smoke me at a match. The difference? They've been shooting & competing an average of 15 years or more where I only picked up a pistol for the first time 12 months ago, it will be interesting to see where I can in 14 more years ... this sport is a journey not a sprint ...