Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lanolin lube

I know this has been posted before( I ate my vegetables), but I wanted to post my findings. I mixed 99% isopropyl alcohol with pure lanolin oil. The mix was 8 to 1. I put it into a pump spray bottle. I gave a batch of 30-06 and 50AE brass 3 sprays. The results were amazing. I'm using steel dies. There was minumum drag and was the smoothest session I've had. I've used several of the expensive brand names including One Shot. This easily beat them. No goopy mess left and the lanolin will not contaminate powder. The alcohol evaporated very fast and left just a thin coat to the brass. You must use 99% alcohol as the other %'s have water in them. Water and lanolin oil don't mix well. YMMV but ,IMO, this stuff is fabulous. As an added bonus my hands are smooth and look amazing. :D

BTW...for pistol brass, particularly with carbide dies, where lube is "optional" anyway, I found a nice way to lube the brass is to get a little pure lanolin on my fingers rub it in, and let the brass get lubed on the way from the brass bin to the shell plate. Doesn't work so well if you have a case feeder. :)

When the sizing gets tougher, you need more lanolin on the fingers.

Yeah I also think that is the general make up of the Dillon spray. I only use it on my comp to keep the gunk from building up as bad. I was told it is the lanolin that does it.

I still prefer one shot or silicone spray for case lube.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW speeding the camera up can almost keep up with a 650! :goof:

Seriously though, he lost me when he said he can lube 2000 cases with a can of one shot. I pretty much use a can a year. I load about 7-8000 a year.

WOW speeding the camera up can almost keep up with a 650! :goof:

Seriously though, he lost me when he said he can lube 2000 cases with a can of one shot. I pretty much use a can a year. I load about 7-8000 a year.

How much of your loading is rifle? I can see where he needs a lot more lube if he is only doing rifle reloading. Especially using one shot. I really do like the lanolin mixture. I use less and get better results.

I thought one shot was not the best solution for rifle brass anyway.

It's not the best for rifle brass... sometimes sticks a case. I went back to Dillon lube.

I didn't know that. It explains why I had 2 stuck 30-06 cases when I was using one shot. I thought I just had to keep spraying more of it on the cases.

I thought one shot was not the best solution for rifle brass anyway.

It's not the best for rifle brass... sometimes sticks a case. I went back to Dillon lube.

I didn't know that. It explains why I had 2 stuck 30-06 cases when I was using one shot. I thought I just had to keep spraying more of it on the cases.

too much lube on a case will cause a dimple at the shoulder. I have not stuck a case since I stoped useing one shot and went to the Dillon Lube.