Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CDP vs SSP

Matt in TN

I shoot a Glock model 30, and just bought a Glock 21SF. I've always shot in SSP and really don't mind going up against the smaller calibers. I'm always just shooting against myself anyway.

That being said - everyone has always told me I should download and shoot in CDP, as I'll place better against other .45's. If that is the case, then why are the classifier scores/times lower for CDP than SSP? I was thinking about qualifying in both classes next time, but this difference has me wondering.

CDP, is 1911 only.

Incorrect. The CDP dvision was designed around the 1911, but CDP is open to any semi-auto .45 ACP that fits in the box and weighs no more than 41 oz., and meets the allowed/ prohibited modifications criteria in the rulebook. If I were to shoot a 21 in IDPA I would download to 8+1 and give the 1911 guys a run for their money. In my opinion, the difference in classifier times are a little out of line with reality, most major match results show that SSP is considerably faster than CDP. I think CDP is the hardest of the 3 auto divisions to make MA via classifier.

The CDP dvision was designed around the 1911, but CDP is open to any semi-auto .45 ACP that fits in the box and weighs no more than 41 oz., and meets the allowed/ prohibited modifications criteria in the rulebook.

My bad!

I shoot a Glock model 30, and just bought a Glock 21SF. I've always shot in SSP and really don't mind going up against the smaller calibers. I'm always just shooting against myself anyway.

That being said - everyone has always told me I should download and shoot in CDP, as I'll place better against other .45's. If that is the case, then why are the classifier scores/times lower for CDP than SSP? I was thinking about qualifying in both classes next time, but this difference has me wondering.

like what Amccallister said, it is geared towards 1911. "custom" defensive pistol means better trigger than your SSP pistols. but any 45 caliber pistol that meats the weight limit is pretty much allowed.

So in theory, the lower classifier times in CDP are because of the better triggers?

Nope ...it's always the Indian and not so much the arrow..but a good bow from which the arrow is shot ,could make a difference..

I've known several shooters download the 45acp to around 130PF and run a Glock 21 in SSP,then turn it backup to 165+ , and run it in CDP. Of course the 9mm and 40s's are cheaper to shoot,but a Glock 21/M&P can be run in all 3 auto divisions in IDPA.

So in theory, the lower classifier times in CDP are because of the better triggers?

Nope ...it's always the Indian and not so much the arrow..but a good bow from which the arrow is shot ,could make a difference..

I've known several shooters download the 45acp to around 130PF and run a Glock 21 in SSP,then turn it backup to 165+ , and run it in CDP. Of course the 9mm and 40s's are cheaper to shoot,but a Glock 21/M&P can be run in all 3 auto divisions in IDPA.

you didn't answer his question.

The same reason ESP scores are lower - all steel 1911s with the largest magwell the rules allow.

Given any shooter at any given skill level that combination wins the majority of the time. You'll notice other designs in Limited or Open in USPSA don't fare so well the majority of the time either. Plastic guns wiggle a lot once you get over 140000PF.

It's not just a 2lb trigger.

Edited by Bones

CDP, is 1911 only.

, most major match results show that SSP is considerably faster than CDP.

...but this is often the case because of fewer reloads required of and more options/risks available to the SSP/ESP shooter. Capacity doesn't matter in the classifier.

CDP is pure joy (more joy if they would let the 10MM back in!!!) something about being able to control that much gun and shoot it fast and accurate is very satisfying. That being said SSP is a blast. ESP exists solely to quench our thirst for the lowest possible times and to support our endless need for speed. Do all three plus pay the occassional tribute to the gods of the guns with that funny revolvo thingy going round and round.

Those who play all 5 tend to be very happy people for some strange reason....

You can't deny though that whatever gun you run, Nothing beats that flapping sound that a vest makes when you slap leather 8D

• 2 weeks later...

CDP is pure joy (more joy if they would let the 10MM back in!!!) something about being able to control that much gun and shoot it fast and accurate is very satisfying. That being said SSP is a blast. ESP exists solely to quench our thirst for the lowest possible times and to support our endless need for speed. Do all three plus pay the occassional tribute to the gods of the guns with that funny revolvo thingy going round and round.

Those who play all 5 tend to be very happy people for some strange reason....

You can't deny though that whatever gun you run, Nothing beats that flapping sound that a vest makes when you slap leather 8D

This is right on. I recently got my SSR gun setup and shooting all 5 divisions is a blast!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about expanding beyond SSP recently and can't decide which next step makes more sense between CDP and SSR. ESP for me seems to overlap with SSP a lot and with training I think I can be almost as fast running a Glock with ESP allowed mods. I started competing with CZ 75 Shadow with Cajun Gun Works springs. It was very satisfying to have the edge in equipment (just under 39 oz with empty 10rd mag, 5lb DA trigger and 3lb SA trigger) but I made myself transition to a Glock 34 with 25c trigger job to improve the indian. SSR is a totally different animal and I like the throw-back and against-the-grain popularity at local matches. CDP is about taming the beast and getting a 1911 is a dream of mine.

I am curious, are the times between XD45 and G21 close to 1911s?

I am curious, are the times between XD45 and G21 close to 1911s?

depends on who is shooting them.

Yes, they can be very competitive. I shot the classfier last weekend in 86.96 seconds with my G21, so I feel it's not a disadvantage at all, and probably easier to reload fast than a single stack. Until Gary Byerly or someone comes along and spanks everyone, but I don't think any gun will help me much when that happens.