Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals

Flexmoney

I am a little put off that I would have to pay more to shoot than somebody who has won a slot.  I am the "new guy", a USPSA member for less than a year.  They should be letting me shoot at a discount.  That is what I call an economic disincentive.

I'll have to ask Mike V. that one but I know thet are trying to encourage more people to go out and shoot local and area matches and reward them by getting a slot, I suspect it is more that people who have won a slot get a discount, a reward for performance if you will. But a discount for Newbies is probably a good idea.

Pat

Thanks again Pat. I'm still sorta staggering while getting all this equipment (not the gun, the other stuff :-) and Quincy's awful far away...

So, speaking as a competitor, if one were to go for a slot, which division is most likely to succeed? The most unpopular one?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I didn't think too much of the extra $50 either.

But, I wouldn't let it keep me away from the Nationals.  I went to the Open Nat's last year and had a great time.  It's a great place to learn & it's a lot of fun.  Considering, the travel & lodging costs, an extra $50 isn't that much.

Then again, I was lucky enough to have won an Open slot and was able to get a Limited slot through my Section Coordinator.

I can understand choosing not to go because of principles.  But, then again you'll pass up a good learning opportunity.

Good luck on your decision!

Flexmoney, you are not being asked to pay a premium, people who earned slots are receiving a discount.

In fact, they probably ended up paying more for their slots because of the match fees, ammo costs, and travel expenses incurred earning those slots.

Call it what you will.  Any way you cut it...it is $50.  And the people that I know that have "won" slots haven't shot or spent more money, time or energy than me.

I am the new guy, the rank and file, the meat and potatoes... the heart of the sport.

The powers that be might want to think about charging us a little less...we might show up and actually buy some stuff from the sponsors.

Flexmoney,

If you have a chance to go to the Nationals you should take it for the experience. It's like nothing you can shoot locally. I understand about the principle of it all, but you might not have another chance for a couple years.

Bill Nesbitt

I hate that this guy is whining about $50 and wants a new shooter discount - try having to pay for 2 OF EVERYTHING and then whine about a lousy $50, kay?

What we want is a FAMILY discount.  They discount for Junior shooters, but not for wives!  What's up with that?

For me and the DH to go the nationals and shoot both matches, the entrance fees alone are $1100!!  

Now having said all that - PAY THE EXTRA $50 AND SHOOT THE NATIONALS.  There is no better learning experience!  We went our first year in the sport are hooked for life because of the great experience we had at the Nationals.

Hi Flex, sorry no offence, but I disagree with your statement that without lower level shooters there is no sport.

We run matches every sunday, the enthusiasts that set up, run and score these matches are also the best shooters, striving to improve and leaving no stone unturned in their pursuit of excellence.

As well as them,generally lower grade shooters also participate. They often don't complete the match, leaving at noon regardless and so contribute little or nothing intellectually or physically. We ran a National event two weeks ago, 12 stages, 240 rounds ,$65NZ , approx $26US including lunch. Many lower grade shooters, despite rubbing shoulders with our master grade shooters every week, didn't show.

I have spent countless hours discussing the sport, coaching and advising on gear. It seem that most of that time was wasted.

If you want something to complain about try adding an airfare from NZ to the entry fee, if not I'll catch you there.

Regards P.D.

Peanut Butter.   It makes great sandwiches.  Good energy food.  Big jar is about $4.00.   Figure how many resturant meals it takes to make up for $50.00. (not many) and save that by eating PBJ's.   This is my first Nationals too and I didn't get the dang discount either!   Now, let's get out there and have some fun.  ;)

GOT MILK?

Phil,

I'm gonna take Flex's side on this one, no offence. I think what he ment is not the shooters you are refering to. I think (correct me if I'm wrong Flex) he is talking about the 90% of people who shoot every match they can, put it all out there every time with no chanch of being match winner. They also have no chanch of ever walking up to a prize table at a big match but shoot it because they love the sport. These are the people that the big matches would not happen without. How big would the prize table be if only the shooters who had a chanch to go there were involved? For that matter how big would your local match be if only the shooters who had a chanch of being match winner showed up? I would like to see USPSA adopt a "Trophy" only policy for the larger matches and have sponsers donate to the prize table. No prize table? So what. Reduce the costs and more people will be able to enjoy it. My wife and I both shoot and we wanted to go to the area 6 championship this year but it was just not in the budget. No family discount and a prize table made the match cost too much. I'm also the guy there on every setup day and and the guy there after the match helping take the match down. Without guys like me and you there is no sport and thats what I think Flex ment. At least thats what it ment to me.

O.K.

It is not the $50...nor $1100.  It is the principle.  I'm not one to whine about $50.  I will take up an arguement if I think it could possibly have merit.

I'll often ask a question just for the fact that it hasn't been asked and the information needs to be discussed.  (My post in the BEginner's section on squib loads and up-side-down primers come to mind.)

FWIW.  I took the slot many post ago.

-------------------------

Phil,

You said:  I have spent countless hours discussing the sport, coaching and advising on gear. It seem that most of that time was wasted.

Keep up the good work.  I am sure it is appreciated more than you think.  (I appreciate it from way over here.)

From your other posts it sounds like you have pretty good local support and attendance.  There will obviously be pockets of the population which will enjoy a greater concentration of shooters (Arizona comes directly to mind).  When I said, "Without the lower level shooters there is no sport."  What I was talking about was mostly financial.  In the US we have 3,195 "C" shooters.  If you combine "A" , "M" and "GM" shooters you would have about a third of just the "C" class. (LIMITED)

Without the revenues that the lower classes generate their wouldn't be much of a National Organization, there would be very few local clubs, equipment manufacturers would dry up, etc.

---------------

Special thanks goes out to Singlestack, Bonedaddy, Nik, Chriss L., BigDave...and all the dedicated "new guys" that are here, with me, trying to learn.

You guys will be the future of the sport.

---------------

Bonedaddy,

I'll be the guy carrying around a yellow Bucket Boss and eating the PB&J...or maybe a peanutbutter, tuna & mustard sandwich.

Wish we had those Team Ancient shirts.

Flex:

Youare right, the lower level shooters are what keeps this sport growing. I'll give you an example. Myself and some buddies got together and affiliated a new club. We are the Wind River Practical Shooters, IPSC 45. Of our 20 members, only 5 are USPSA classified and all of them are C class. Two of us are "breaking over" to B class.

Having said that the lower level shooters are what keeps USPSA growing, I also believe the older and more experienced shooters (regardless of class) are pretty much the work horses and they just keep plodding along. Without their help, us new guys would pretty much be screwed. Hmmmm....looks like we all contribute something...

I suppose I shouldn't generalise, but my point is that many take for granted how IPSC works, the organising, building, scoring etc, and in my experience many of these people don't get past the lower grades because they tend to lack commitment. Thats not to discourage anyone from trying IPSC, but without the organisers, which happen to be our better shooters, there would be no sport.

Flex, on the matter of finance, you are absolutely correct. Here the sport is so small that there is no sponsorship and we operate on tiny budgets. There are rarely any prizes, though I would like to thank STI and their local dealer Alan McLean for the prize gun at this years Std. Nats, R/o's and administrators are unpaid and match fees are held to a minimum, yet still people moan!

On the bright side I just had a brilliant mornings shooting, so I'm ready to talk to some tyre kickers again!!

JT,

Let me ask you this.  Do you think that your money might have been better spent taking a class, where you would receive more personal attention?  

"The Burner" is just north of Detroit (driving distance for either of us).  I don't know how good his class is.  It is an option that I would consider next year.