Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunch/Tucking head while shooting

alecmc

That is a good video. One thing that I got out of the video is how much Bob must dry fire. Look at how often he racks the slide after dismounting it during an example presentation of the gun on target. You can tell that he is doing that subconsciously as he is explaining the point he is trying to get across. You only get into that subconscious mode of racking the slide after bringing the gun back down when you do a crap ton of dry fire.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hunching a lot when I started IPSC, until I was told to bring the gun to face, not face to the gun. Took a few months to correct.

In the long run, it actually helps to relax the upper body, and stops one from shooting low.

I think it may restrict your fine muscle movement. It looks to me like all muscles are "flexed" or under tension which over powers small movements that allow for faster sight picture

Been reading this and I have to say that when I am really dryfiring as I should, with regularity, I bring the gun to eye. Funny though that I feel the more angled grip of the Glock platform lines up my arms and head better for me.

Personally i would highly recommend watching matt burketts pratical shooting volume 1 it helped me with the very issue.

in his training video he goes thru the setups of stance right from the ground up centering yourself to your NPA and aquiring sight picture while working with a student. if anything its a excellent base to use. redevelop your grip, presentation to the target and the movements that go along with this process. It worked wonders for me :)

If your at all computer savy you can find this DVD series on piratebay :)

Cheers and keep shooting

I read this post last night and immediately thought of the pictures I've seen of myself shooting all hunched over. I went to my local Steel Challenge match today and on the last course of fire (Speed Option) I remembered to try to stand without hunching. I stood erect and the the dot just seemed to appear in front of my face, and transitions seemed much more fluid. My times were the best I've ever recorded on this course. I'm going to make this a focal point of my dry firing for a while. Like Mom always says, "Stand up straight!"

I've taken several pistol classes. It seems to me the instructors lock their heads in between their shoulders while presenting the gun. My posture is almost too relaxed and I am working to roll my elbows out more. That motion seems to be easier if I roll my back. Lots to be said in defining a rolled back versus a hunch. I notice more open shooters with shoulders down, heads up and back straight. Clearly they are aided with the optic that limited shooters don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just a beginner, but was curious if you are a rifleman?

Many rifle shooters "turkey neck" as it were.

Since i added my fastfire II to my pistol i have started to adopt a posture more like what i see the other open division shooters using. (elbows bent more, relaxed neck)

It has to be a bad habit. Its an, inherently, weak position of the body, and one which impairs movement. That some of the top shooters, now, do it, is merely indicative of how far shooting has to go before it requires athleticism of the professionals.

is a video of a world record shot put - and he doesn't hunch his shoulders. Neither do competitive bench pressers. (The two sports I can think of which involve pushing forward as hard as possible.)

This is the next thing I'm looking to improve on. My plan is to dry fire with black electrical tape at the TOP of a pair of cheap shooting glasses...hunch and tuck your chin and you'll be seeing black. No idea if it'll burn into my subconscious training it this way, but I'm going to try it. I draw on target, reload smoother, and transition sharper with my head not hunched down looking out of the tops of my eyes, so I hope to change that.