Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training for a Police/Practical Shooter.

Maxximuss

I am looking for better ideas on my training. I am Police Officer and I shoot IDPA and USPSA on the side to make myself more proficient in my career. I practice the following everyday that I suit up:

1. Draw stroke with my shot timer set to par times between 1.3 seconds down to 0.6 seconds. I start at a 1.3 to make sure my form and grip is perfect, then increase my speed till .6. I can beat .7 and still fighting for the .6.

2. Dry fire on 1/3 scale IDPA targets (3) at between 15 and 30 feet.

3. Transitions between targets will perfect sight picture.

4. Reloads with retention and tactical reloads using snap caps. (every other time)

This usually takes me about 15-20 minutes, about 25 when I do reloads.

Any ideas on what I am missing or could do better?

Validate your dry fire training by replicating the same times in live fire. If your live fire times and hit quality do not match your dry fire results then you know you are not training properly during your dry fire training sessions.

That is a good idea. I am have only tested my dead shot time, and it is no where near the distances I practice dry fire. I just started testing my dead shot times a couple days ago at about 10 yards on a full size IDPA targed. My times are similar (best being a .72) and hits are center mass. I haven't done much live fire drills by myself, I usually save my ammo for the matches. What is a good ratio of live fire to dry fire using the same drills?

+1 for Steve's book. Have you tried incorporating movement into your drills? Try stepping into a position while drawing, re-loading, etc. Can simulate having to adjust your angle for a port or getting to cover.

Phase I and II malfunction drills, strong and weak hand skills, emergency reloads, and don't forget to spend some time on accuracy improvement. You stated that you do transitions with perfect sight picture. Are you maintaining a sight picture during the transition? If so, practice finding the target with your eyes and move the sights to it.

Forget all that other crap - THANK YOU for taking your job seriously and for going out on your own to further your own training. I don't know how many times I've shot with police (even the venerable SWAT) and been disappointed and downright scared by their lack of shooting and safe gun-handling skills.

You are most appreciated for what you do every day, and for going the extra mile in order to do it better. I wish all police would follow your example.

If you are looking for ways to improve your gaming performance, then you are on the right track. If you are looking to improve your duty performance, then there are a whole other set of things you need to be training.

If it IS the latter, then PM me and I can put you in touch with some people who train military and LEO for a living.

Have you looked at Steve Anderson's books?

I just took a class from him and much of what you are talking about are things he specifically targets.

http://www.brianenos...iews.html#steve

I will look into that book. I think someone else had good things to say about it too. Is this the one where the guy made GM in like 2 years?

+1 for Steve's book. Have you tried incorporating movement into your drills? Try stepping into a position while drawing, re-loading, etc. Can simulate having to adjust your angle for a port or getting to cover.

Phase I and II malfunction drills, strong and weak hand skills, emergency reloads, and don't forget to spend some time on accuracy improvement. You stated that you do transitions with perfect sight picture. Are you maintaining a sight picture during the transition? If so, practice finding the target with your eyes and move the sights to it.

Those are all really good ideas. I do a little bit of side step on my draw stroke, but I should work on that more anyways.

Okshootist: On transitions between sight pictures I find my self leading with my eyes and my sights follow. I am not sure if anyone has told that to me in the past but it felt natural. I am glad to hear it is the correct way to do it.

Forget all that other crap - THANK YOU for taking your job seriously and for going out on your own to further your own training. I don't know how many times I've shot with police (even the venerable SWAT) and been disappointed and downright scared by their lack of shooting and safe gun-handling skills.

You are most appreciated for what you do every day, and for going the extra mile in order to do it better. I wish all police would follow your example.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. I have been very disappointed with a lot of police as well. I do know and shoot with some fantastic police shooters, its unfortunate they are the exception, not the rule. I still have faith that Law Enforcement will continue to progress in shooting proficiency. I still feel like a beginner in a lot of these matches compared to other shooters. With that said I placed 2nd in the 2012 Utah Sheriff Association Shoot (ran off of the 2012 Area 1 Championship Course, in St. George, UT), we are behind the curve on shooting aspect. I wish they would all understand their lives and the lives of those they protect WILL be on the line when they draw their firearm.

Make sure that you do seperate the practice for the games and for the real world with your duty/carry holsters. I have to leave the duty holster and equipment at work so I never do get to practice with them but when I do live fire I will work on the game aspect on most sessions and then work on the real world tactics / quick drills with my off duty at the end of one or when with other LEOs. I am more about the game though

1.3 with a duty holster is good, most (non uspsa) shooters take over 2 seconds and it has been proved several times that a perp can cover 5-7 yards before an average LEO can get it out of the holster.

(edited out because i went back and read the initial post) Remember to be honest with what you see in dry fire and let live fire validate it.

Brian

Edited by BBoyle

Make sure that you do seperate the practice for the games and for the real world with your duty/carry holsters. I have to leave the duty holster and equipment at work so I never do get to practice with them but when I do live fire I will work on the game aspect on most sessions and then work on the real world tactics / quick drills with my off duty at the end of one or when with other LEOs. I am more about the game though

1.3 with a duty holster is good, most (non uspsa) shooters take over 2 seconds and it has been proved several times that a perp can cover 5-7 yards before an average LEO can get it out of the holster.

(edited out because i went back and read the initial post) Remember to be honest with what you see in dry fire and let live fire validate it.

Brian

Thank you for the advise. The only belt and holster I practice with is my duty set up. I used to run a Glock 35 as a duty weapon and just recently my department issued us Glock 22. I practice with both guns regularly. (I am waiting to get my 22 back from evidence right now, I was involved in a shooting a couple weeks ago) I am still doing tactics training regularly, I just want to get faster and more accurate on my shooting. I hope the Game isn't changing my tactics too much... I have a video of a match a shot about a year ago where I was doing .80 draws, I am a little faster this year. Here is the link to the video

There is a lot of good stuff in here and I agree with most of it. I would say if you are training at all, you are training more than 75% of the LEOs in the Country, unless you include their mandatory qualifications. In my opinion if you follow any of the high level GMs training manuals you will improve as a USPSA/IDPA shooter and significantly as an LEO shooter. I would agree that SWATsters use/follow slightly different tactics than 100% "run and gun", but the average police officer/detective merely being able to quickly draw their pistol and make fast accurate shots is going to get them where they need to be.....home.

Keep up the good work, it's great that you care :cheers:

Keep up the good work, Maxx! As an old FTO, I'm happy to see someone willing to work on their skills. I began shooting USPSA a long time ago for the same reasons as you and like SV said above, you're WAY ahead of the average copper.

Two things I had to keep in mind when practicing - the timer is for USPSA only. Rushing through a scene or (2) failing to utilize cover are bad ideas at work. VERY bad ideas. This is not to say that the ability to run like hell should be ignored :surprise:

Shooting and reloading from "cover" and pie-ing corners was how I shot USPSA matches for several years, using my duty gear. It was the best training opportunity I had at the time. My scores sucked, but that wasn't why I was there.

Good luck to you!

Mark

10-7

Look at your USPSA and IDPA shooting as a sport that will increase your shear gun handling skills. Rely on your tactical training and instincts while working to dictate your tactics. Combine the two together and you're a force to be reckoned with. In 17 years of playing both "games" I've never had a situation where I did anything tactically incorrect that came from shooting USPSA. One thing to really put some thought into is holster and mag pouch postions. If you shoot a different rig for sport then position the holster and mag pouch the same as your duty belt. I don't use my duty holster for competition but I am religious about doing some dry draws when I gear up for work just to get my mind set back into the duty holster. Don't let anyone tell you that shooting games is bad for your job. Be safe.

Funny RMS, I heard those same

Don't let anyone tell you that shooting games is bad for your job. Be safe.

Is that baloney still going around? RMS, I heard those same admonitions decades ago and occasionally hear them even now - always from people who should know better. After a few seasons of IPSC, moving and shooting and reloading when necessary was second nature. Maxx, forge ahead!

Mark

Thank you for the advise everyone. I am glad to hear these suggestions from experienced officers and shooters. I will continue you my practice and incorporate your advise into it. I hope all of you stay safe and keep shooting. Maybe one day I will see you at Nationals... Please let me know of anything else you think of or learn on this subject.

• 1 month later...

Maxximuss, let us know how you like the book. I'm currently thinking of purchasing the MGM Attack Target for our department. I think the attack target will make training more realistic and possibly inspire those officers who don't practice enough, to practice more....