Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry On Luggage

outerlimits

Can't believe the size of stuff people carry on a plane. The airlines don't care about the little box that all carry on stuff is supposed to fit in. Some stuff won't even fit in the overhead bins. Last week I saw some idiot carrying on an acoustic guitar. Then there was a lady with a new mop...musta been a great sale after Christmas.

Edited by outerlimits

And they put them in the first available space, so that when the people sitting in those rows try and stow their luggage, the overhead bins are already full. I don't get why the stewardesses turn a blind eye.

And they put them in the first available space, so that when the people sitting in those rows try and stow their luggage, the overhead bins are already full. I don't get why the stewardesses turn a blind eye.

My best friend is a regional airline pilot and his fiancé is a flight attendant. The problem starts at the ticket counter and the staff there turning a blind eye. It comes down to neither flight attendants or ticket counter people feeling like arguing with people who have a sense of entitlement for a barely liveable wage.

As a frequent fliers (at least 2 flights a week), my biggest gripes are the oversized things like guitars and people who bring two items and store them both overhead. I have a small roller and a laptop case. My laptop case goes under my seat, the roller goes overhead, wheels in/out depending on the plane. I really detest the people who bring on rollers and put them in sideways and then put their laptop case up with it.

When I am on a long term assignment, I leave the roller at the hotel and travel back and forth with a duffel. Makes things easier.

Edited by JFlowers

My best friend is a regional airline pilot and his fiancé is a flight attendant. The problem starts at the ticket counter and the staff there turning a blind eye. It comes down to neither flight attendants or ticket counter people feeling like arguing with people who have a sense of entitlement for a barely liveable wage.

And it's so heavy they can't lift it up to put in the overhead bin...

After seeing someone's guitar in a hard case destroyed when checked, I don't begrudge them carrying it on. It does stink when folks have two carry ons and put them both in the overhead bins. Really, a lot of this is because the airlines started reducing the number, size, and weight of free checked bags.

IMO, If the airlines are going to charge for bags, it shouldn't matter if it is checked or carried on the plane. That would solve some of the problems. Why carry a weeks worth of clothes on the plane with you if it costs the same as checking it.