Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me buy a shotgun...

hlpressley

Like that title states, I am in shotgun mode. I am looking for a nice shotgun that could possibly be used as an entry level 3 gun shotgun. I have been shooting a good bit of IDPA and I really enjoy that. I have a feeling that I may end up wanting to venture out into some 3 gun stuff in the future so I figure if I am going to buy a new shotgun I should look at one that would at least get me started in 3 gun. I really like the looks of the JM Pro from Mossberg but they seem virtually impossible to find. What other suggestions do you guys have around that same $700 price point?

Thanks in advance.

You may be able to find a Remington Competition Master for that price. I have two of them and have never had a problem with either one. When I got them the first thing I did was open up the gas ports in the barrel. One drill size is usually enough to get them to shoot 2 3/4 dram eq. shells. Mine will run 7/8 oz loads.

Run them with FP 10 or equivilent lube and you should not have any problems. It also makes them a snap to clean nothing sticks to the mag tube or gas rings. You can just wipe them off with a paper towel and relube.

Hello: Look at the Remington Versa Max Sportsman. It should be out soon. I love my Zombie Tactical Versa Max. I have talked others into getting a Versa Max after they have shot mine. OK didn't take much talking :roflol: I am in the clays mode now and looking. The searching is half the fun sometimes. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I did look into the CZ-712 but after shipping it was going to be right at $500 plus FFL. I decided to buy a Mossberg 930 Turkey model with the 24" VR barrel and FO sights today at a LGS for about $520 OTD. Came home and sent 25 rounds of cheap Federal bird shot down range without a single hiccup. I am very pleased so far, the gun shoots great and just seems to fit me.

I will be ordering the NC mag extension, barrel clamp, bolt operating handle, and a few other chokes. Anything else that you guys would recommend that I pick up for it? Looking for entry level 3 gun option.

I bought a bunch of chokes for mine and IC was the only one i ended up using.

If you want to shoot 3gun that ported barrel is going to push you in to Open class. If you want to shoot tactical make some small strips of sheet metal to cover the ports and put the nordic clamp over them.

Also use emery cloth or scotchbrite to clean the mag tube where the piston rides and make sure to lube the piston with a carbon blocking lube such as Slip 2k or FireClean. I would also split the two piston rings and scrub them clean as well.

I build up a 3gun shottie last year on the same gun, my cousin welded the lifter up and I used a dremel to hog out the loading port. You can send it to Crums and have the same work done for a fee. Other than that you should be GTG, if you have questions shoot me a PM.

I would hold out for a JM Pro. It took me a few months but I was able to find a dealer who had 10 shipped to him. Just keep checking around and you will find one. I also though about the Rem. VM tactical Zombie edition but it was literally twice as much as the JM. I spend an addition $70 on mine and gave it a Zombie theme...still $500 cheaper than a VM and mine has been flawless!

Buy a JM for $700 and maybe 10k rounds, or VM for $800 to $1400 (depending on model and mods) and more than 30k rounds. Then, when you shoot them all, head to head, there really is no comparison.

Figure out which top 30 3gunners don't have an obligation or sponsorship to shoot a particular brand...most of those guys shoot VMs.

I understand shooting within a budget better than anyone, but in competition you can end up with some regrets down the road when you make the wrong compromises. The 3 gun season is in hybernation for a couple more months. Mow some lawns, skip the starbucks and eat light for a couple of months and buy a quality gun which will last. In the long run you will spend less money, experience less headaches and be much happier. Get an M2 or a Versamax. Whichever you connect with. You know which one I like.

3GN Top 30:

17 Benelli (of which 4 are sponsored by Benelli)

5 Versamax (of which 3 are sponsored by Remington)

5 FN SLP (of which 2 are sponsored by FNH)

1 Mossberg (of which 1 is sponsored by Mossberg)

1 Beretta (Stefan Wiggins)

1 ?