Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shotgun for under $1500?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I was wondering what the best shotgun for shooting 5-stand, Trap, Skeet and Sporting clays for fun? I had alot of fun at 5-stand with my Versa Max Tactical but was wondering what would be better for under $1500? Just thought I could gain some great info from all you people. New or used does not matter to me as long it is reliable and well made. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

If you can find a nice Beretta 303 grab it. This model was one of the best autoloaders made for SC. The 391s are also nice but the 303 has a much smoother action.I shoot a Custom Grade Kolar O/U but have 4 Beretta 303s that I will not part with. I shoot them in the rain or if I am really tired on Sunday afternoon on the last 100 targets of a 400 target match. I also shoot them for FITASC events.

I bought a Browning 325 European 32" 12 gauge for less than $1500. My suggestion would be to check around the clays clubs and sites with the goal of getting the best USED shotgun for $1500. Many competitive clays shooters are looking for the magic shotgun and regularly buy/sell.

At $1500 or less...IMHO:

Autoloaders- Beretta 390/391 series(not familiar with the new ones) with chokes tubes. Probably 30" bbls

Remington 1100- many options- same as above.

O/U- Browning 325/425 series sporting clays models...probably 30" barrels, but maybe 32". The "American" versions have porting, over-bored barrels which are heavier compared to the 'European' models which are hard to find.

Beretta 680 series-686 more than likely, maybe a 682 series used. 30" or 32" barrels.

Older 682's are much heavier than the newer ones....hence the 30 or 32 barrels.

Those options(sporting/skeet) will handle most of the sports very well. Trap "okay".

But, all the above are well known, proven, parts, service and options available and have "re-sale" value.

At that price-point, I'd avoid other discontinued or 'off-brands'...

Hello: I really appreciate the info and have been asking around here a little bit. I have some of the guns that are listed and still not sure about O/U or semi for me. My family actually shot today. We shot with a friend who brought some 28ga, 20ga and I brought my new Versa Max Tactical. My 14 year old shot the best(his first time), then my wife and 10 year old son. I won't mention how I shot :sick: I will look into the guns listed above to see what looks good and then see what I can find here. Thanks, Eric

A400 sporting or my wife loves the versa max...stay away from O/U unless your willing to pay some money. I watch some of the top sporting shooters in the nation shoot all the time and at least 3 of the top master use old 391's!

anthony matarese 2008 Nation NSCA sporting champ-HOA...won it with 391

Tony Rivera and my daughters team mate- 2006 Nation NSCA sporting champ-HOA...won it with 391

Eric, I have a 20g O/U you can borrow. It is a sweet swinging gun. I also have an older Browning Superposed 12 O/U. Both are Skeet/Skeet guns.

Skeet and Trap are pretty simple. One choke will do; Skeet for Skeet and Full for Trap.

When you get into other Clay shooting, O/U dominate because of the flexibility of using two separate chokes at the same time, usually one for the near bird and a tighter one for the far bird.

I have an older Beretta 682 Sporting O/U you can use also. I will be a Zia on Saturday but will be shooting skeet this weekend for sure.

I shot sporting clays regularly with over-unders and autos for years. I moved to the OU as my primary Clays gun because it did not require as much cleaning, had the ability for two chokes (we had some clubs that liked to throw one close bird and one far bird in a presentation), and was less prone to breakage.

At $1500 or less...IMHO:

Autoloaders- Beretta 390/391 series(not familiar with the new ones) with chokes tubes. Probably 30" bbls

O/U- Browning 325/425 series sporting clays models...probably 30" barrels, but maybe 32". The "American" versions have porting, over-bored barrels which are heavier compared to the 'European' models which are hard to find.

Beretta 680 series-686 more than likely, maybe a 682 series used. 30" or 32" barrels.

Those options(sporting/skeet) will handle most of the sports very well. Trap "okay".

But, all the above are well known, proven, parts, service and options available and have "re-sale" value.

+1 He covered all the proven competition shotguns for that price range. Excellent post.

At $1500 or less...IMHO:

+1 He covered all the proven competition shotguns for that price range. Excellent post.

Couldn't agree more.

Actually, in general the sporting shotgun market is in the gutter, and as a result, you can get a lot of gun for $1500 right now. Search the web and avoid the retailers, as they don't seem to have figured this out just yet.

Hello: I have narrowed it down to a Beretta AL391, Beretta A400 and a 28" barrel for my Versa Max. I have a shoulder that does not like too much recoil (downhill ski racing accident) so semis will be the way to go for me. I am also thinking a complete gun starting with a "B". Anyone have both of these? Which is better? Thanks, Eric

Hello: I shot an SX-3 and didn't think much of it. My Versa Max shoots softer to me. Just trying to figure out what barrel length 28" or 30" and which Beretta to get? The AL391 has better looks than the A400 xcel but the A400 has more modern features it seems. I wish I could shoot the A400 to try the KO. Thanks, Eric

Go to your states ATA trap grounds when they have a shoot and there will be vendors there with trailers full of guns . They will let you take them out and shoot them to see if you like them. Look for a gun that has an adjustable comb and butt plate,if the gun fits you it won't beat you up and you will break more targets.

I shot sporting clays regularly with over-unders and autos for years. I moved to the OU as my primary Clays gun because it did not require as much cleaning, had the ability for two chokes (we had some clubs that liked to throw one close bird and one far bird in a presentation), and was less prone to breakage.

I went to over-unders for the same reasons. That second choke can take your scores to the next level. The Browning 425 and 525 have served me well.

Bill

Hello: I have narrowed it down to a Beretta AL391, Beretta A400 and a 28" barrel for my Versa Max. I have a shoulder that does not like too much recoil (downhill ski racing accident) so semis will be the way to go for me. I am also thinking a complete gun starting with a "B". Anyone have both of these? Which is better? Thanks, Eric

You are getting great advise on guns. I love and shoot all the B guns myself - avoid the Benelli for high volume clays because the initia system will not soak up recoil on your shoulder like the Beretta and Brownings will.

The Beretta 303s are a great addition as mentioned earlier - don't rule out a Browning B-80 if you find one. They are a Beretta 303 made for Browning back in the 80s. Getting hard to find but priced very reasonable and make an excellent all around hunting-clays gun depending on the model/set-up. Good luck!

The kick off of the a400 works amazing, i had the a400 xtreme and it made a HUGE difference in felt recoil. Ive also had an sx3 wich was a great gun too. But you cant go wrong with anything from the A400 line, from 500 years of firearms beretta deffinatly know what shooters want!

Both my clays autos are 30" - Beretta 390 Sporting Clays and Browning Gold Sporting Clays. If you are going to shoot Sporting Clays and Trap - I suggest the 30 inch for auto. If Skeet - maybe 28" but I shoot my 30s at Skeet, too. The extra barrel length really helped me on long crossers.

My OU is a 32 inch.

Hello: I tried to look at some A400 yesterday but they can't keep them in stock here. Going to try one other place today if I get time. I think I will go for the 28" barrel, after talking to some good shooters here. They said it would be a better all around gun. The 30" would be better for trap and sporting clays they said. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

Hello: I guess I should have done an update. I bought a Beretta AL 391 silver side Sport(sons gun). I also bought a Beretta AL391 Tenkys Target model. The best part is that I have just over the $1500 budget for both :cheers: I have been learning alot about shotgun stuff and can now actually hit something :roflol: Thanks, Eric