Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3nd Annual AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well my question was answered when I checked my email. I am now 20 on the pro wait list. That is great news. Thanks for the update Linda.

Now 20 people need to back out. Hahahaha. Good luck to all those who got spots

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bryan that will be a good guess. I'll post a round count in a few days. The stages will be posted in about two weeks. We are not planning any buck or slugs. I have not made a final decision on aerial clays..... suppose I need to check with Air Miller?? The Pan Am MG stage 6 with flying clays and a MGM spinner created the most banter.

Since I've never been to this match or this range....can anyone give me an expectation on a few things?

1: Terrain. Will New Balance's with heavier lugs be okay, or should I bring boots?

2: Bays? Woods? Open fields? Bring DEET? Shorts ok or need pants for ungroomed terrain and pests?

3: Rifle distances possible? (bring cheap 55gr, or need some heavier stuff for far targets?)

4: Worth bringing 3-Gun carts, or drive to stages?

When shooting at Rockcastle a variety of footwear may be needed. It is a big place and I have shot matches there in monsoon and drought-like conditions. If it is wet...Boots, maybe bring 2 pair. If it has been baked in the sun, trail running shoes or hiking boots work.

Bring bug spray. Ticks abound. I wear shorts vs pants based on the temperature, not the terrain, but there ill likely be some walking in the woods.

I may be off a bit, but I think the longest target in the pro-match thus far has been about 330 yrds. I shoot 55s at everything so can't make call r/t heavier rifle rounds.

Most stages allow you to pull up pretty close in your car, and the stages are spread out over the property, so a good 3-gun bag, and hauling gear in back of my truck, always worked well for me. Cart no needed.

Edited by Lead-Head

If you have room in your vehicle, bring your 3 gun cart...it helps to carry gear from truck to room and back. But not needed during the match...you drive from stage to stage.

DEET is a good idea.

I've shot both of the past Pro Am's with Merrells. Boots not required unless the rain hits.

I also shot the Pro stages last year with 55 gr bullets and they worked fine. Heavier bullets may cause the RO's to call hits faster. Your call.

I never needed a cart as most of the bays have parking areas close enough to work from your trunk. I wear Merrells for all matches and haven't seen the need for cleats at this match. I can't wait for the date to hurry up and get here.

If your not flying, who cares what the round count is? Bring a case of shot and 300 each of pistol and rifle then you got plenty.

300? What if I'm attacked by roving bands of rioters driving back through St. Louis on my way home? :-)

Don't drive through St.Louiy unless you got at last 2000 rounds of everything and at least 25 friends with the same!

Ahhh logistical feline........ah.....oops, tactical K9, my bad, if you are flying that must mean that you don't have the full $2000.00 for your scope project any longer :) . I know several Okies that are driving out, maybe you should post your offer over on O.S.A.

BTW all the scopes you are looking at ARE second focal plain scopes! Like the Vortex, Swarovski....etc. just thought I'd let you know cause you said you don't like second focal plain.

Edited by kurtm