Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have to switch bullets...

hlpressley

With the recent demand in bullets and primers my supplier is out of what I normally buy which is Zero 147gr FMJ and CCI SPP #500. With that said I don't like the idea of not having components stocked up with today's happenings. I am thinking of picking up some of the Berry's plated bullets. Also I have to get a different kind of primer unfortunately. Any recommendations on primers?

Should I stick with 147gr in Berry's? I see a lot of guys using the 124gr. Also, any experience with the HBRN? The logic behind it makes sense.

I do have a good supply of TG powder so I would like to stick with that is possible. If anyone has a good load for the Berry's bullets with TG powder it would be greatly appreciated. I will be shooting it out of a stock M&P Pro 5" mostly in IDPA.

Thanks in advance for any help and or advice shared.

Edited by hlpressley

I ran exclusively Zero bullets in all division up until a couple a couple of years ago when they started to become real hit and miss on availability. Since then I have swithced over to Montana Gold and I can't complain in the least, especially with their 147gr 9mm. The shape of this bullet is identical to the Zero even though it's not an HP. The prices is about the same as the Zero and they are rarely out of stock. Montant Gold really does support the shooting sports, it's rare I don't pick up a prize certificate off ot a prize table from them and you won't have to change your load data much if at all.

I have not had success with plated, so I go to Montana Gold or Precision Delta.

If you want to wait for your order of Zeros, go to Powder Valley. They may be out of stock, but they will ship when they come in. When they do come in, they go out the door within a day or two, faster then they can even show up on their web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Montana Golds are almost as good as Zeros, and the Bayou's are my favorite in Minor. Be advised it takes more skill to load Plated, Moly, and Bayou bullets, Jacketed bullets are almost idiot proof.

Tumbling can occurr with any bullet, that is why I said almost idiot proof, it is way more common with plated, and Moly bulltet because of the additional difficulty in getting it right, powder, crimp, and don't forget not cutting the plating or coating which leads to deposits of lead and moly in the barrel. With enough reckless abandon even a bayou can become a leading factor. Normaly the Bayou leaves your gun cleaner after shooting.

Try the 124gr Berry's. I like them on top of 4.2 of TG. Less snappy than 115's but not a mushy push of 147's.

I feel there's a point where the impulse from the bullet is toooo looonnnngggg. Especially with IDPA SSP power factor.

Unless you like to outrun your bullets. :goof:

DNH

Plated bullets will eventually tumble on you. Just a matter of time.

Can you please expand on this answer. I recently had some discussion with Rainier and was looking to try a small amount. Is the tumbling due to the crimping difficulties? Maybe irregularities in the plating thickness or weight differences . Is it truly a certainty that this will eventually happen? It would appear that "everyone" knows this about plated bullets but I haven't found solid proof.I can use all the veteran wisdom I can get on this as I have never loaded plated before.

On primers, if you cannot find CCI's, go with either Federal or Winchester primers..whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH WOLF PRIMERS!!!.....out of 100 Wolf Primers, 4-6 of them won't fire and you might blow your gun up if you are shooting timed events....VERY INCONSISTENT!!

I ran Berrys 124's and 115's and they are OK, but Montana Gold 124 CMJ's are awesome, so I run them exclusively now with 4.0 of Titegroup..147's are too sluggish..

I've almost exclusively shot Montana Gold and Winchester primers in my open gun. It's never seen anything different and runs like a raped ape. There was that Magtech Primer diversion that lead to several dead primers and some weird flattening... but now that I'm back on Winchester I'll never leave.