Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

alumbufs

Racegun38s

Try asking Dawson about your gun. I've shot a stroker with an alumibuff and I think it has the feel of a deadblow hammer. I liked it alot. The polymer/plastic shok buffs flex more, they kind of make the gun feel muffled, imprecise. Your mileage may vary, hope this helps

The ones I have seen have had a few thousand rounds with no noticeable deformation. I believe it diffuses the energy from the slide in a different way. The only way I can think of describing it is imagine you take a hammer and you strike another piece of metal, the hammer usually bounces. A dead blow hammer reduces or eliminates that bounce.

prompted me to order some.

I have been using Wilson buffs. But if this really does feel alot different I will update as I experiment.

I am going to work for myself the first of October so I will have more time to experiment with the equipment.

I decided to try the alumabuffs after reading this post. For $4.50 what did I have to lose? Shoot 100 rounds with a light STI Recoilmaster then 100 rounds with the alumabuffs. The gun actually felt softer and the dot tracked better with the alumabuffs. Maybe it was just my imagination or maybe it was due to the shorter slide stroke (the buffs are pretty thick). Although it was only 100 rounds, there was no sign of deforming or wear.

I talked with one of Dawsons guys at the Nationals and he told me the aluminum buffs were designed for their Stroker guns, but they seemed to work as well in regular 5" guns.

From what I understood him to say, they seem to think that the aluminum buff doesn't really soften the felt recoil, it just provides a softer metal to metal contact when the slide comes all the way back. Sounds like a good idea, the only problem I see is short-stroking the slide.

• 1 year later...

[bump to top]

Has anyone else tried these? Page 12 of the Dawson catalog, upper left corner:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/DPCatalog44.pdf

I perceive a bounce in the recoil of different guns more than most people, which is why I don't like the Sprinco. The "dead-blow hammer" effect might be nice, wondering if more people have tried these on an Open gun. Similar thread here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=19395&hl=aluma

Edited by eric nielsen

Just a word of caution for what it is worth. I started using aluminum buffs and really liked the feel that they gave the gun. Also seemed like faster recovery. They did have a sharper but straight back recoil inpulse. Then my gun started doubling and after a lot of work it turned out to be worn trigger sear engagement. A new trigger and sear cured the problem, but I have a strong suspicion that the bounce had something to do with it. the hammer and sear wore out less than 2000 rounds after the aluminum buffs went in. I have went back to the softer ones. YMMV

I've been using them since before they came out ;), with zero problems. Most of the time I put a Hiett .090 buff behind it, because I can, but often I don't and haven't seen any problems.

When I was shooting an open gun (5" Supercomp), I noticed absolutely no difference between Dawson's aluminum shokbuffs and traditional polymer ones. I ended up leaving the aluminum one in and shot it for all or most of 2005, had thousands of rounds on that buff with very little wear.

They come in two different thicknesses, the thick ones may be for a Dawson Stroker. I suggest checking for coil bind on any spring & buff setup.

Have them in my Open gun and one of my limited guns. I can shoot the two limited guns back to back and they definitely feel different.

After several thousand rounds in my Open gun at 174+ PF with a 9# spring. You can see marks and wear on the aluminum, but no expansion like you get on an well used plastic buff.

Edited by CenTX

Thanks everyone. I measured the buffs I use now, Ed Brown and EGW, they're both about .105" thick. I only use one because starting with 2 I can't lock the slide back.

I'll try the .100 dawson aluma buffs & see how I like them. The .150 sounds too thick.