Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer spring/buffer combination for ar 15 carbine

Puma

I recently finished my first built, an AR 15 carbine. I used a carbine length gas system. I later learned that a mid length was better. Being that it is too late now which combo ( buffer Spikes T 1 or T 2 ) - spring ( Reduce power, increased power, ISMI, JP, Wolfe ) would you recommend to reduce recoil and protect gun parts. Any and all information, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated !

I recently finished my first built, an AR 15 carbine. I used a carbine length gas system. I later learned that a mid length was better. Being that it is too late now which combo ( buffer Spikes T 1 or T 2 ) - spring ( Reduce power, increased power, ISMI, JP, Wolfe ) would you recommend to reduce recoil and protect gun parts. Any and all information, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated !

I typical will use an increased power spring in a gun which is over-gassed. Same goes for a buffer system. Usually springco red (sometimes blue) spring with an H1 buffer seems to be the ticket for carbine length systems IMHO assuming no adjustable gas block.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Spikes T2 and a ISMI spring for me with a midlength gas and full weight bcg. It was reliable and had the best feeling recoil impulse IMO. I have used the same setup with Carbine length gas and liked it as well. Never tried a 9mm buffer like SMK suggested but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

CLutchUSMC, will the T-2 give you bolt 'bounce back'? I have to assume that you tried a T-1 correct ? This combination I will try this week. This past week I tried a JP buffer spring with a T - 1 and a T - 2. I like the JP with the T - 2 better however there was noticeable bolt bounce. This can be attributed to the JP being 7% stronger than the Wolff and even more than the ISMI.

I hear that ISMI springs are more durable that Wolff yet weaker strength.

What I am trying to do is find a common denominator in determining the most effective way to use the buffer weight and spring strength in taming recoil. I understand that this being said the ammunition, barrel length, muzzle brake and other variables all play a role.

Again, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

I've had good luck with the VLTOR A5 system of receiver extension, buffer and spring. It is very close to a rifle length system for use with collapsible stocks. Used to experiment with different weights of buffers, spring strengths etc.

Done. Soft shooting and reliable function.

Mark

I've had good luck with the VLTOR A5 system of receiver extension, buffer and spring. It is very close to a rifle length system for use with collapsible stocks. Used to experiment with different weights of buffers, spring strengths etc.

Done. Soft shooting and reliable function.

Mark

same here, with Vltor A5, I dont have to change spring/buffer combo for rifle, mid and carbine gas system, even with piston, although its nice to play around with other Vltor buffer weights.

• 2 weeks later...