Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Volquartzen comp on a 22/45 ?

sandrooney

Run mine without one as I don't want anymore weight out in the front of the gun. Currently working on a putting together a light weight gun as Im currently running a 5.5 inch all steel upper. Going to go either factory "lite" or the tacsol

In steel challenge its more transitions than anything

It certainly depends on personal preference and skill level.

I tried some comped guns, both heavy and light and ended up with a 22/45 Lite. I am consistently faster with the lighter gun with no comp.

I used one on my 22/45 for a few years and liked it, but then I bought a TacSol lightweight top end for the gun. It's significantly faster. The light weight makes getting on target and doing transitions faster. Recoil isn't a factor. By the time you've moved to the next target, the effects of recoil won't matter.

YMMV

I prefer a really light pistol, with an aluminum brake. Not the tactical solutions one with all the holes though, that just seems to add noise, I prefer vertical ports.

It's not really the amount of recoil, it's the complete lack of it with a brake, I think it lets me call my shots better and transition harder to the next target since I have no doubt that the last shot was a hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Only the timer tells the truth. To be honest I was no faster with the comp or the light weight barrell.

The CDI was a lot higher though...

My statement was based on practice results under a timer and at matches, also using timers.

For me a light gun, with a vertically ported aluminum brake is faster. Every time. Only exception was MRDS, the weight savings didn't offset the C-More window size, ease of alignment, or something. They were slower.

Only the timer tells the truth. To be honest I was no faster with the comp or the light weight barrell.

My statement was based on practice results under a timer and at matches, also using timers.

For me a light gun, with a vertically ported aluminum brake is faster. Every time. Only exception was MRDS, the weight savings didn't offset the C-More window size, ease of alignment, or something. They were slower.

For the less cool, acronym impared guys, WTH is CDI or MRDS?

Edited by Ming the Merciless

Check out the Alchin Comp for the 22/45... I will confess that I have not run with and without against the timer, but I feel my timing is better with the comp on the end.. The alchin is a aluminum comp, does add a little weight, but not like the VQ.

I do run a TacSol barrel and VQ trigger as well on the gun, with a C-More... it's a pretty light setup and moves right along.

Check out the Alchin Comp for the 22/45... I will confess that I have not run with and without against the timer, but I feel my timing is better with the comp on the end.. The alchin is a aluminum comp, does add a little weight, but not like the VQ.

I do run a TacSol barrel and VQ trigger as well on the gun, with a C-More... it's a pretty light setup and moves right along.

I have the same set-up as above. I have shot with/without a comp and the comp definitely makes a difference. I started with the VQ comp, but shot it off twice and decided to move on to a TacSol threaded barrel and the Alchin comp.

I agree. I did some comp testing for a prospective comp/ammo test on RFC back in 2012. The best comp when it came to eliminating any muzzle flip was the Allchin. 2 big vertical ports. It is what I still use on my open Buckmark, which by the way weighs in at a whooping 27 oz.. My iron sight Buckmark just makes 20 oz. and it has a 7.25" Tac Sol barrel. My timer said that the Allchin Comp vs. the TS comp gave me at least .2s/stage run advantage. But nothing beats skill. Robby Orent can still tear me a new one with that VQ Olympic based SC gun he helped design with Scott. That thing weighs in at least 50% more than mine.It is a case of 22 YO vs 65 YO physical skills.