Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland ELS - Very basic question

shuter

Just got my ELS belt and the inner/liner belt. Never having used a "two belt" setup like this before, I'm just curious as to how it works.

Do I just thread the inner velcro belt through my belt loops then stick the outer ELS belt onto it?

Also, there's a hole in one end of the inner belt. what's that for?

There are lots of videos on Safariland's website about how to set up the ELS plates, etc., but nothing about the inner/outer belt arrangement. Probably because everyone but me gets it...

Hate to sound stupid, but it ain't the first time!

Thanks

Edited by shuter

Makes perfect sense...thanks!

The inner belt goes thru the belt loops the outer belt goes on the outside the hole on the end is just there to make it easier to pull the inner belt out of the belt loops. That would be my guess

Good point. I assume the inner belt should "buckle" in the front and the outer in the back? Or should both buckle in the back?

Also, remember to set it up so the ends (buckle area) meet up in the back so you can set up your equipment in front and on the sides.

“Do I just thread the inner velcro belt through my belt loops then stick the outer ELS belt onto it?”

Yep!

“Also, there's a hole in one end of the inner belt. what's that for?”

That hole on the inner belt tells me that is the end I thread through my belt loops first. ;) Seriously, I don’t think there is a real purpose for the inner belt hole except maybe to let you hang it on a nail when you aren’t using it.

“I assume the inner belt should "buckle" in the front and the outer in the back? Or should both buckle in the back?”

You can overlap the inner belt where ever you want. It is just a velcro liner. No real reason to have the overlap in the back.

I run an ELS belt in open and have the buckle prongs in front, but offset as far towards the holster as the belt runout or tail-end will allow. I like it on the front just for the convenience of getting the rig on (not as flexible as you young bucks!). For 3 gunning I can slide one or two 6 rnd shotshell caddies between the buckle prongs and the belt keeper on the tail-end next to my holster (don’t know if that makes sense) so that front space isn’t wasted space at all. Like all of these inner/outer two belt systems getting the inner belt nice and tight before sticking the outer belt on is important. Everybody runs their belt rig a bit differently. Don’t be afraid to try different configurations. I’ve been using mine for a few months and still tinker with the position of the mag holders.

And be sure to use the end keeper...once you load up the belt with a half box of shotgun shells, an AR mag with 30 rounds, a couple pistols mags, and a pistol...the belt with be a little heavy. If you don't use the end keeper the outer belt, with all equipment, will hit the ground at some point. I know by experience.

• 5 months later...

ELS is the way to go. Hard to finde accessories sometimes but very good stuff for sure I have two outers and one inner

use one for multigun one for USPSA great Kit.

use the QLS plate for holsters its much bigger and allows 3 screws for mounting. you will need a QLS kit one female plate one male

use ELS kit on everything else. AP custome shot gun caddies come pre dirlled for ELS forks makes em easy to setup and on and off in a flash.

I just converted all of my stuff to Safariland ELS and I did a couple of things differently.

First off, I have seen too many belts come off during stages to trust just a keeper and those pins, especially with all the weight 3 gunners typically run. So, to that end, I bought a Bianchi nylon duty belt in place of the standard ELS outer, and now I have a 3 way plastic buckle holding everything on. Then it was a fairly simple matter to just burn the holes for the ELS brackets with a soldering iron.

I also used MLS clippies for the holsters instead of QLS. They are bigger more rounded, and have the added benefit of being able to stick the holster directly on a MOLLE platform. I think they might also be stronger, but I have nothing to back that assertion up. The website says 140lb breakaway, but don't believe it, I managed to bring my 250# butt to a abrupt halt jumping off a barricade, and for a magical couple of seconds, the only thing supporting me was my holster. I can't find a QLS spec. The other thing was that the MLS holster just seems to "fit" better than the QLS. The QLS seems like the ELS's awkward big brother just trying to fit in...

In any case, being able to re-arrange gear and discard unneeded items is a godsend.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas, I wish a delivery like that would show up at my door. I'm still hoping to get my hands on one of those discount cards but I wasn't lucky enough to get one with my USPSA membership like I've heard others did. Good luck and enjoy.

You can use the ELS system with any belt by using tech-locs to secure the receiver to the belt and put the forks on whatever you're trying to attach.

Is there an "adapter plate" sold by someone to put ELS/QLS receivers on Tek-Lok units? My holster, pistol mag pouches, and rifle mag pouches all have tek-loks. Would I be better off just getting "adapters" (if available) and putting them on my ELS belt setup that way?

Thanks

You can use the ELS system with any belt by using tech-locs to secure the receiver to the belt and put the forks on whatever you're trying to attach.

Is there an "adapter plate" sold by someone to put ELS/QLS receivers on Tek-Lok units? My holster, pistol mag pouches, and rifle mag pouches all have tek-loks. Would I be better off just getting "adapters" (if available) and putting them on my ELS belt setup that way?

Thanks

You don't need adapters for the ELS brackets to fit on Tek-Lok equiped pouches, etc. They just bolt on, hole spacing is the same.

Thanks

You don't need adapters for the ELS brackets to fit on Tek-Lok equiped pouches, etc. They just bolt on, hole spacing is the same.

Thanks. I guess I'm confused. The above reply said to use tek loks "to secure the receiver to the belt and put the forks on whatever you're trying to attach." That made me think I would clamp my Tek Loks over the ELS belt, then put ELS brackets on the Tek Lok receivers, which would allow me to snap on/off using ELS but be able to move around on the belt by unsnapping the Tek Lok receivers and sliding, etc. Is this right?

Sorry, but I probably used way too many words there!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, that would work. There is a shooter up here that does that since he doesn't have a safariland belt and likes to be able to move stuff around as well as change what goes where. It makes it especially nice when you are sharing gear to just give the other shooter some tek loks with els plates on them and then transfer the pouches etc.. when needed rather than having to remove your belt everytime you need to swap stuff over. But if you have a belt that is made for the els systemic just full it up in the spots you like to have your gear places with receivers and put the prongs on all your pouches so you can move all the things around as needed and you won't have to buy another component (tek lok) to do so. As soon as I get my gear for the divisions I'm shooting a little more settled ill be going the tek lok to els route so I can adjust the belt on the fly without taking it off everytime. But I'll probably switch to all different stuff and have to repeat the process next year. I love 3-gun and so does Visa.