Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Idea of a 500 yard test. 25cent piece and five shots

AlamoShooter

So I have gotten my 260 loads tuned up and learning the game. I keep remembering a challenge game of a one shot chance at hitting a 50 cent piece. = one chance any one day

I was thinking - one shot- <_< I am more of a five shot kinda guy. so I thing make up my own "Challenge Game" = Set up any target sight in you want but when your ready for only one chance a week you tape a 25cent piece to your target set. do any sight in you want to check the wind . = But when you diecide to take the five shot challenge thats it = you want to hit your 25cent piece from 500 yards.

I taped over the 25 cent piece between two targets and thin so I could see it I used double sided tape and put it over the first = two stacked 25 cent pieces.

I got real good or real lucky and found that a 260 will blow rite through two quarters from 500 yards

I only hit the quarter one time , but I had one on top of another. I taped the quarter under the duct tape between the two targets and thin I taped a quarter over the top of the first one so it would show up in a photo what my idea was . I did not know that I would get that lucky and do it on my first try.

The air was cool and clear only about 1moa of variable wind I did my wind sight in on the lower target in the photo and checked the spotting scope twice durring the (Five Shot run) for the quarter I am certain that I hit it with the forth shot as I picked up some splater in my scope after the bullet hit. I had to hold part way in to the right side target to compensate for the wind drift.

This is the paper target after the quarters blew out the back, I found them after I had allready pulled the paper down. the quarter that was in front had a smaller hole than the one dehind it.

25Centtargetpaster12-12.jpg

25centtarget12-12.jpg

lucky is what it was, now I have to do the second time

Wow. A 1 3/8" group at 500 yards - THAT is impressive. :bow:

NO now wait a moment = Thats how far -Away- form the quarters edge the hits were. My first shot was above the quarter = I checked my spotting scope and I could see it as "high center". So I held just a bit lower , but I did not feel the wind and with out help from a spotter I could not tell the light wind was doing. confirmed the second hit off the right side about 1" out. the third was hard to confirm . But it was next to #2 . The last two shots I stayed on the gun and tried to look hard though my scope. I was disappointed after looking in the spotting scope at the end , But real happy with the best group I ever shot at 500 yards. happy enough to take a photo.

2012-12-09_500yardgroup.jpg

I Love that Vortex glass.

The Rule is one chance per week , I stayed true but really wanted that second chance.

Jamie,

What scope are you using? I assume a Vortex...but which model?

JJ

I have the 5-20 Razor with Vortex high rings. And I am spotting with the Razor spotting scope. The Drill is giving me confidence in making small adjustments to my hold point.

The "One Try per week" rule adds the necessary pressure to make it a reasonable drill.

Nice shooting Jamie! Any info about the .260 your shooting and your loads? I am in the early process of working up some .260 loads for my new gun.

A small shop guy just north of me built my gun Jack Leather -Leather Built Customs

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

its a "Leather Built custom Rifles" with a Barlein 1 -8 medium Palma barrel & Badger break and scope mount. JP stock and a Vortex 5-20 Razor EBR-2 scope

my load that gives me slightly better consitency is with Lapua Brass over the RP brass - I use the Redding typ S neck die set.

the Lapua brass messers out at 0.015" I use the 0.293" type S bushing for that brass, I get good results with RP brass when I uniform the neck its thinner at 0.013" I get good results with the 0.289 busshing.

My best friend and I had guns built as pairs to save some on the gunsmiths setup time and to so we could cross test loads and share amoe in a pinch. His gun cronos a bit higher than my loads with less powder though.

I am at 42.9 to 43.0 of Hodgdon 4350 with a 140 AMax bullet.

Both of our guns are "Short Chamberd" for hand loads only that will fit in the AI mag and still set near the lands when chamberd = I am 0.010 off of touching my lands. I get 2,785 fps with that load 10 feet from the barrel. = Stuarts gun gets the same vel with 42.5 gr of 4350- diffrent lot

• 2 months later...

Here's a competition I've been wanting to try: Smack-the-Smiley

One of the things that shooting groups doesn't do is force you to shoot at different sized targets with different appearances and different locations. This does all of that plus adds a cold-bore shot into the mix. And, you can do it on your own range at your convenience.

That looks like a fun little game to play. Proceeds go to a good cause also. I may have to check this out. No way I would win, but it would be a fun day at the range, knowing that I get to go shoot, and some of our warriors get some help from it. Doesn't get much better than that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is some great shooting! That is a great drill too. Seems like it would get in your head and force you to slow way down but still operate under pressure. Another cool idea would be try to shoot through the hole in washer. That kind of shooting falls into a whole nother realm that I've never managed to cross into.....

That is some great shooting! That is a great drill too. Seems like it would get in your head and force you to slow way down but still operate under pressure. Another cool idea would be try to shoot through the hole in washer. That kind of shooting falls into a whole nother realm that I've never managed to cross into.....

Keep in mind That I had five shots to -track- into the quarter, adjusting my hold and waiting for the wind like a bench rest shooter would do. The two other weeks that I try-ed it after that did not come out with a hit, but I did get close.

<_< shoot through a hole in a washer? ;) I could do that trick a lot easier. I have some washers from removing a 150 tower that are 3" on the inside.

Bwahahaha 3" @ 100yds would be about par for me right now sadly. I will get there though. Dot drills with my 22lr are in order for a while though. I think my 308 might actually be cheaper to shoot these days....

• 3 weeks later...

Alamo...in light wind conditions if you don't have a spotter to help you out you can always ( with adjustable objective scopes) back it out of focus a quarter turn and that will enable you to see the mirage near the target line and give you a good idea of wind conditions at the target.

Post stakes in the range at every hundred yards with surveyors ribbon tied on to give you wind at those locations.

• 3 months later...