Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Grade Barrel

audioshooter

Maybe! It all comes down to accuracy. A barrel that shoots 1" groups at 25 yards will consistently beat one that shoots 3" groups. A large part of this accuracy is the match between the barrel, the slide, and the frame. A Match grade barrel will have a better inherent accuracy along with hopefully being properly fitted.

If it is not properly fit then it will likely have worse accuracy than a non-match barrel.

If possible you are better off getting a match grade barrel fitted.

I always say it comes down to shooter skill. Most factory barrels will shoot 4" or less @ 25 yards so if the shooter can hold even half of that they will probably see the groups tightening up to some extent. If the shooter can't hold anywhere close to that then the money is probably better spent elsewhere.

If the gun needs a new barrel then you might as well get a match barrel but keep in mind that "Match Grade" doesn't mean the same thing to all vendors. There are quite a few drop in "match grade" barrels out there that are not going to shoot nearly as well as a properly fitted match barrel. Sometimes a fitted bushing is all that is really needed to revive and old dog.

New(er) competitors probably don't need to spend as much money on improving gear as they tend to do.

When I started, a lot of folks shot the Springfield Loaded 1911's at the various local matches. They worked pretty good.

And, doesn't the "Loaded" come with a target/match barrel?

My take on it is that a more accurate gun would always improve accuracy on the target for any shooter, all other things being equal. For instance, a gun and ammo combo that can group within 3 inches shot by someone who can aim within 4 inches will produce groups as wide as 7 inches ( the gun and ammo error plus the shooter error), while a gun and ammo combo hat can produce a one inch group shot by someone who can aim within 4 inches will produce groups of 5 inches.

My take on it is that a more accurate gun would always improve accuracy on the target for any shooter, all other things being equal. For instance, a gun and ammo combo that can group within 3 inches shot by someone who can aim within 4 inches will produce groups as wide as 7 inches ( the gun and ammo error plus the shooter error), while a gun and ammo combo hat can produce a one inch group shot by someone who can aim within 4 inches will produce groups of 5 inches.

Sure, that is the accuracy side of it.

On the mechanical side, building such a gun requires tight tolerances...which don't leave much room for dirt. A tight gun can require much more detail to keeping it running.

Where as a shooter/gun combo that hits 7 inches...is still very likey to hit the Alpha on our (USPSA) targets.

The loaded 9mm target has a match grade barrel. My Loaded Stainless 9mm Target shoots 1.5" groups @ 25 yds. with WB or American Eagle factory ammo and 1" groups with my reloads. The gun does have a trigger job.

And, doesn't the "Loaded" come with a target/match barrel?

Only a few Loaded models come with match barrels. Three of the 4 Loaded models I own have standard barrels and the ones I benched shot ~ 4" at 25 yards. The one I upgraded to a match barrel shot 2.25".

To the points earlier, the best I can shoot unsupported is ~4" at 15 yards so the factory barrel is good enough for me.

+1

A

My SIG Allround, and all of my 1911's, and 2011's will hold under an inch at 25 yards. My plastic guns, NOT.

My match results show the difference, if there are tight, or distant targets. :goof:

Sure, that is the accuracy side of it.

On the mechanical side, building such a gun requires tight tolerances...which don't leave much room for dirt. A tight gun can require much more detail to keeping it running.

Where as a shooter/gun combo that hits 7 inches...is still very likey to hit the Alpha on our (USPSA) targets.

Match barrels are great. Speed and accuracy.

A match barrel MIGHT help shooting A's if you are regularly hitting C's, but will not change the speed required to keep up with the next classification.

Give me a gun that shoots 1 inch groups and Todd Jarrett a gun that shoots 8 inch groups.... guess who is gonna stomp my butt every time?

Now substitute Flex for me in this senario.....

Edited by wes777

At USPSA ranges which are usually within 40-50yds on the far side of it, you will not see a difference. I would get the gun first and see if you can develop a load it likes. I have a G17 that a friend of mine can make nice neat smiley faces with at 25yds. (That is on the upper A/B of a USPSA metric) When he benched it with my load at that range, he got 1.75" which is pretty good with a stock Glock. Many guns shoot rather well with a load they like. But, if you are stuck shooting WWB, or other purchased ammo, other than trigger control, a barrel may be your route to enhanced accuracy.

JZ