Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Question

mulrick

Hi guys,

First off, I love this site, such a wealth of knowledge and so far seems to be a very civilized place compared to many of the other gun forums. It has unfortunately made me much less productive at work lately... Sorry if this is long winded.

So I searched around a bit but I wasn't getting the info that I was looking for, Im not one of those guy who asks a question before searching. I started with some USPSA 3 gun matches locally earlier this year and I am totally hooked. Been using a pretty simple iron sighted carbine for the Limited divsion, and a 16" mid length recce(ish) with a 1-4 for the tactical division. I have a ton of AR parts laying around and a few lowers so I figured now is as good of a time as any to build a dedicated 3-gun rig.

My question is to the guys running 18" rifle gas systems. I see the trend towards heavier profiles with fluting to save some weight. The stag 3g upper would be what I would go with if it weren't for the fact that I have everything I need to build an upper minus the barrel sitting on my workbench and they don't seem to be in stock anywhere. Plus I cant seem to find anyone who carries the Stag 3g specific barrel. I saw the Loki 18" double fluted which looked nice, hear it is easily sub MOA with the right ammo. Also looked at some white oak barrels but it looks like I can only get 18" rifle with 1/7 and I was hoping for 1/8.

Any advice as to where I should be shopping is great. I would like to keep the barrel in the $250-$400 range, stainless, fluted. If the manufacture can head space a bolt to fit as well, that would be amazing.

Thanks guys, sorry for the mini essay.

Best barrel IMHO is the Nordic 18" competition. $269, no need for adjustable gas, sub MOA, 1/8 stainless in .223 Wylde. The barrel extension is factory installed which is what sets the headspace. Matched bolts are a kind of a marketing gimmick.

Thanks guys, I think I will give the Nordic a second look. I like those guys, very responsive, and they support the sport which I really like. Plus I have a couple other things from them and have been impressed. Might even look at getting it fluted to save a little weight.

Good info in there... some how missed that thread, thanks.

As a second opinion.......

I would definitely consider either the Nordic/Carbonarms and Criterion barrels as good to go, I personally would rethink the fluting option, not needed and just more $$$. If the look of fluting is worth it for you, then by all means, spend all the $$$ you want on it. You aren't going to save enough weight on an 18" barrel with a decent profile to justify the cost. Also, the additional machining stresses could affect the barrel's performance. YMMV :cheers:

We have 2 of the Loki 18" barrels, one on my DPMS 3G and one on my son's rifle that I built for him. Great barrel and very accurate. We shoot out to 500 yards in one of our monthly matches and it hits hard. I also have a friend who is one of the top shooters on the 3-gun Nation tour who is using a fluted Loki 20" barrel with great success. Hard to beat at the pice. Mine is nitride coated and my son's is SS. Shaved about 6-8 ounces off the weight. I think they weigh about 33 ounces.

gerritm

I have a Nordic 16" Midlength Lilja barrel that I have been very happy with. I like how it has been turned down under the handguard, balances well and is very accurate. I wish that their 18" was the same profile.

I have a WOA 18" SPR barrel that has also been accurate, but I found it to be very nose heavy and ended up having it turned down.

I have a Nordic 16" Midlength Lilja barrel that I have been very happy with. I like how it has been turned down under the handguard, balances well and is very accurate. I wish that their 18" was the same profile.

I have a WOA 18" SPR barrel that has also been accurate, but I found it to be very nose heavy and ended up having it turned down.

hmm i also have the WOA 18" with the rifle lenght gas system and fine it okay the way it is, guess i am using a heavier stock or just we are just 2 different shooters. +1 on the very accurate sub MOA at 400 off a bench, freestyle i cam hit the berm. :)

As a second opinion.......

I would definitely consider either the Nordic/Carbonarms and Criterion barrels as good to go, I personally would rethink the fluting option, not needed and just more $$$. If the look of fluting is worth it for you, then by all means, spend all the $$$ you want on it. You aren't going to save enough weight on an 18" barrel with a decent profile to justify the cost. Also, the additional machining stresses could affect the barrel's performance. YMMV :cheers:

Yeah after talking to my Machinist friend last night, he said it would be a pain in the ass for only a few ounces. I am going to use a Samson Evo Rail which is very light weight, and a VLTOR Mur which is also pretty svelte. So I should be good.

We have 2 of the Loki 18" barrels, one on my DPMS 3G and one on my son's rifle that I built for him. Great barrel and very accurate. We shoot out to 500 yards in one of our monthly matches and it hits hard. I also have a friend who is one of the top shooters on the 3-gun Nation tour who is using a fluted Loki 20" barrel with great success. Hard to beat at the pice. Mine is nitride coated and my son's is SS. Shaved about 6-8 ounces off the weight. I think they weigh about 33 ounces.

gerritm

Yeah I have looked at the LWS... Maybe it deserves another look