Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My limited gun build.

Ultimo-Hombre

Happy day after thanksgiving.

I am going to build myself a limited Glock 35 from scratch. Not like that is some great feat but hey, is that not one of the beauties of Gastons platform? Mere mortals can assemble them. Actually that is what I should have titled this.... Gun assembly, not build! True gunsmiths "build" guns. I merely assemble interchangeable parts. Hey no shame in it though, I prefer to feel more in tune with and in control of my pistol by knowing that I can make it run. I have learned that the glock is the only platform I have any hope of this with.

To start with I understand that this is all moot to a point as the mental focus, clarity and perfect practice are what makes a good shooter. Not the pistol.

I am starting with a OEM lower, stripped.

Next up...

Zev tech slide, leaving it stainless finish.

- lightening it with zev's "dragonfly" cuts

Sevigney rear, Dawson FO front.

Leaning toward just putting an OEM barrel in it ( is the Kkm really worth the extra coin?)

These threads are pretty boring without pics so when I get home from sun valley I will update with pics.

In the meantime anyone who has experience with zev's slides please weigh in.

KCCO!

Sounds like you've got quality parts so far. We've got a local M/GM that uses nothing but stock Glock barrels with Rainier Ballistics bullets. (He took 2nd place at Area 2 this year.)

My questions are: What about the trigger, magwell, and mag release button? I'm not going to tell you which ones to get, but they seem to be missing off your list.

You are right my list there was a few sandwiches short of a picnic! Didn't want to get too far along without starting to put up some pics. That said...

Am thinking I will use a lot of zev parts. They seem to have bier act together thier customer service folks seem decent.

The fulcrum trigger looks like a winner.

Tungsten guide rod.

I like he SJC mag button.

Have had good luck with thier heavy brass magwell but am considering the SJC as well.

Dawson Ice magwell works well, and you have the option of replacing the insert. However the Zev is a little easier to hit under pressure but it gets dinged up. The JP mag release works good but it can cut into your support hand palm if you don't round it off a bit. What ever you use it has to be the right length so you don't do an unexpected mag dump, and you don't lose your mag on a gun pick up stage. The Fulcrum trigger is nice but a bit pricey for what you're getting. The newer stock barrels are better now than they use to be, but if you're spending all this money you might as well squeeze a bit more accuracy out, and get the KKM or Storm Lake. Get the longest Tungsten guide rod available the extra weight helps a bit with recoil. If you're shooting major you might want to rethink this, and get the G24, you may like it more once you get use to the extra length., Good luck.

I bartered with a friend for the fulcrum trigger and KKM bbl in my G24. To me, the trigger is a big improvement over stock. It's no 1911 but the aluminum trigger feels much better than the spongy stock plastic. If you can, try someone else's before you spend. KKM needed to have the throat reamed a little to accommodate some bullet profiles but I feel more comfortable shooting lead with it.

I tried an extended mag release but had issues with unloading during loaded table starts. I just use the stock mag release with a lightened spring. For sights I've had excellent results with the Dawson FO front and adjustable rear. Zero issues for over 3 years.

I tried an extended mag release but had issues with unloading during loaded table starts. I just use the stock mag release with a lightened spring. For sights I've had excellent results with the Dawson FO front and adjustable rear. Zero issues for over 3 years.

Thanks for he intel guys.

Why an adjustable rear sight? I have always run a fixed so no worries of losing zero.

Why an adjustable rear sight? I have always run a fixed so no worries of losing zero.

Don't blindly follow the "fixed sights can't lose zero" mantra. They can and they do. Rear on my 35 got loose in the dovetail, I could move it about 1/8" with my finger.

What happens if you switch bullet weights and your hits aren't where you want them?

What happens if you switch bullet weights and your hits aren't where you want them?

Drift sights left or right. Hold over or hold under. Or just get adjustable sights if you plan on using different bullet weights.

Heavy magwell makes a very big difference. I just swtiched from the SJC aluminum magwell to a Zez stainless with heavy brass plug and the difference was very big shooting a match today. The felt recoil was a lot softer with the extra weight. As for the trigger I like the fulcrum and if you do a little bit of polishing work, combined with springs, it can make for a nice trigger. I say go with a SS guiderod vs. tungsten as many have had issues with tungsten rods cracking or flaking. Pair it with a ISMI spring (13# is where I ended up) and the feel is good.

Good luck and have fun with the build.

• 2 weeks later...

So had the cash in hand and called glockworx to order slide and bits, the nice fella there said they were totally cleaned out and not even taking orders on slides or custom work until dec or next year. "Don't call us we will call you" literally.

Bummer but it is what it is.

Does the vanek use the OEM trigger pad? I don't like the OEM. If I am gonna drop big coin on a hi speed trigger I want a nicer piece of metal or plastic under my finger than that fisher-price thing. I know, I know, totally irrelevant to performance but the devil is in the details right?

I had Lone wolf do me a long chambered stainless barrel that would take 185 Precision Moly's loaded out to 1.145. I used the Vanek Super Trigger, the JP magwell, the JP extended mag release with the large button, the Warren Wevigny rear sight, and teh Dawson fiber optic front. The gun really shoots well, but it is a shame I barely shoot it anymore since I started shooting the 2011 plarform Limited guns.

Does the vanek use the OEM trigger pad? I don't like the OEM. If I am gonna drop big coin on a hi speed trigger I want a nicer piece of metal or plastic under my finger than that fisher-price thing. I know, I know, totally irrelevant to performance but the devil is in the details right?

I dont know if the trigger pad is factory but it is plastic. Still a great trigger though for the money. I have used a Carver custom trigger as well (+200$) and have let friends test fire who also liked the vanek better. I would call Charlie Vanek before you order a trigger.

My only "warning" hombre is this. You better love it. I did a limited Glock 35 build and now want to pump up to STI Edge. I have all the goodies even with 9mm extra barrel and mags and cant seem to give mine away for a song.

My only "warning" hombre is this. You better love it. I did a limited Glock 35 build and now want to pump up to STI Edge. I have all the goodies even with 9mm extra barrel and mags and cant seem to give mine away for a song.

Yeah, not the greatest resale value for sure.

Happy day after thanksgiving.

I am going to build myself a limited Glock 35 from scratch. Not like that is some great feat but hey, is that not one of the beauties of Gastons platform? Mere mortals can assemble them. Actually that is what I should have titled this.... Gun assembly, not build! True gunsmiths "build" guns. I merely assemble interchangeable parts. Hey no shame in it though, I prefer to feel more in tune with and in control of my pistol by knowing that I can make it run. I have learned that the glock is the only platform I have any hope of this with.

To start with I understand that this is all moot to a point as the mental focus, clarity and perfect practice are what makes a good shooter. Not the pistol.

I am starting with a OEM lower, stripped.

Next up...

Zev tech slide, leaving it stainless finish.

- lightening it with zev's "dragonfly" cuts

Sevigney rear, Dawson FO front.

Leaning toward just putting an OEM barrel in it ( is the Kkm really worth the extra coin?)

These threads are pretty boring without pics so when I get home from sun valley I will update with pics.

In the meantime anyone who has experience with zev's slides please weigh in.

KCCO!

Enjoy!