Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much taper crimp

tires2burn

I have been loading Rainier 230RN and 200SWC. No problems but wondering how much crimp is needed. When I first started I had to much and it cut into the plating. I backed it off till I just have a faint ring around the bullet. Should it be tighter? I can't push the bullet in so think I'm on the right track. Any advise appreciated.

all you want is to get rid of the bell mouth

take calipers and snug up behind the bell, when you can just slide the case off the calipers your good.

remember when you crimp the brass has spring back, so if you crimp too much you size the brass and bullet but the brass then expands a little

so now your bullet fit is looser not tighter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think if you put an empty case in your barrel (chamber) you will discover that they don't really headspace on the case. Generally, you will find that end of the case a fair amount of distance ahead of the end of the barrel hood.

I think I smell a confusion with terminology.

I'm sure he meant to say... the 45acp head spaces on the rim of the case. That would be a more accurate description.

It is a tiny ledge for sure inside the barrel we all rely on. I just peered into a ancient spare 1911 model barrel I have laying near my press.

That 1911 old barrel is my head space gauge. Once in a while for grins I check using one of my Springfield barrels.

The 1911 barrel I use is from a 1911 ACP my grand pap had bought for his personal use prior to the Great War, the war to end all wars. So I'm sure

it is to original spec.......

Back then officers bought their own sidearms like that , so I understand.

Considering that the .45ACP is a rimless case, I'm pretty sure it doesn't headspace on the rim. The original .38 Supers and .38 Autos headspaced - or were supposed to - on the semi-rim they have and were pretty inaccurate.

The .45ACP is supposed to headspace on the mouth of the cartridge against the front end of the chamber, however, most are shorter than the specs call for (the cartridge cases) and you will end up with what I described previously.