Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open gun not working

Tristan

Hello all,

I have just recently purchased an STI MatchMaster for USPSA. Despite different loads, I haven't been able to get the gun running. I have talked to a lot of experts, who have differing answers to my problem. When I try to fire, it will fire, and stop short of chambering the round. On the few occasions that the gun will cycle, you can feel the slide just barely pushing the round into the chamber. Upon examination, the disconnector on my STI Edge, has a curved profile that allows the slide to easily push it down. With my Matchmaster, if done carefully, I can actually rest the slide on the disconnector, and the slide will not fall. Many people will tell me that I need a heavier spring so the round will go into the chamber, some tell me that I need a lighter spring that will aide in the slide coming all the way back, and some will have other suggestions like bullet shape, OAL, and other things. If some of you have had this problem, I would like to hear your feedback. I would not like to send the gun back to STI, let it sit for a few months, and them calling me to say that there is nothing wrong with the gun. If any of you have any information or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all the help!

What does the disconnector on the Match Master look like (profile)? If you take the topend off of the frame and insert a magazine is it to high in the frame? You can compare it to your Limited gun. What spring is in the gun? What load are you trying to shoot? Who did you purchase the gun from?

Edited by Jaxshooter

I am having the same problem with my 2011 .38 Supercomp. The slide will stop about a half and inch from completely closing. A gentle touch on the rear of the slide will cause it to close. I went to a 12 lb. recoil spring and took one spring out of my AFTEC extractor. I also made sure that my breechface is smooth and that there is a slight bevel on the bottom of the breechface where the disconnector initially is forced down when the slide closes. It almost seems as though it takes too much effort to force the barrel up into its position. All of my rounds are drop checked, so I'm confident its not the ammo. Those are the things I've done to try and fix this problem. It's better, but still happens about every 50 rounds. Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just anxious to see the replies you get so that maybe I can get my pistol to work as well.

What spring and load are you running

and what caliber is it? What is OAL on your cartridge?

Have you drop checked the cartridges into your chamber?

Is your finger or thumb rubbing against the slide? Have

you lubricated the gun? Does this happen with one or more

of your magazines?

:cheers:

As I ran through the replies, I noticed I left out a lot of key information:

MatchMaster 2011, .38 Super Purchased from Brazos Custom

Load: Atlanta Arms and Ammo, .38 Super Major 125gr.

Spring: Light Recoil Master for .38 Super (9 lbs)

and, in reply to Jaxshooter: Yes, it appears that the disconnector is riding quite high. The profile of the disconnector of my limited gun is curved, but the limited gun is a Brazos Custom High Performance Edge, so he must have done some stuff to it. I dont really know what to call the profile of the disconnector, but it does do some wierd things.

MatchMaster 2011, .38 Super Purchased from Brazos Custom

Load: Atlanta Arms and Ammo , it appears that the disconnector is riding high.

Guess you can eliminate the ammo :bow:

I'd call Brazos and discuss matter with them - betcha they can walk you

through a solution on the phone. :cheers:

I had this happen a couple of times when I had a new aftec extractor put in my gun. I squished one of the aftec springs with a pair of pliers a little and it hasn't happened again (even with an 8 lb spring)

Is your extracter Aftec? I have also cured this problem by removing the rear spring on the Aftec.

Did the gun come with an AFTEC or non-AFTEC and you put in an AFTEC? IF the gun did not come with an AFTEC-the firing pin stop is not setup correctly for an AFTEC.

Note: I run two AFTEC springs in 38SC and 9 Major. I have installed them right out-of-package with no tuning and they run 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things come to mind, actually 4.

1. Take barrel out and drop check ammo in barrel making sure it fits. (easy and makes someones statement true above).

2. Check the extractor tension. Too much tension the round won't walk up the breach face. This will also happen with an AFTEC even finely tuned and perfect in every way, when caca build up in the extractor tunnel. Take the extractor out and clean the tunnel.

3. Recoil spring, it would not be the first time I have seen a 9# spring that wouldn't run the gun, try a 10#,11#, or even a 12# if you have one.

4. Number your mags and note which ones you are using when it fails. Put it aside.

Thats all I got because you didn't say how frequently it happens if it is 1 or 2 times in a match or 4 or 5 times out of 10 etc.

I'm not discounting the disconnector theory but never had that be an issue.