Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9mm 1911 set up for SS & ESP

cyprant

I am lucky enough to know a great SS shooter who is selling me a Springfield Loaded in 9mm and he will be doing a bit of work to it for me. I have until Sunday night to change some parts hes ordering and just looking for some opinions on my set up.

STI Tactical Adjustable Sight

Brazos Micro Dot FO front sight

S&A Slim Magwell Blended into frame

VZ Operator II slim grips

Wilson Skeleton Match Trigger set @ 3lbs

Wolf springs

As of right now I am not ordering a mag release because I want to keep it IDPA legal and i dont think 1/16" more would be worth the %. I would, however be interested in one that is IDPA legal but is also drilled and tapped so I could add the button for SS and remove it for ESP. I would really want one that is checkered with out the button installed...Is any one doing this?

What 10 round mags are best?

What base pads are best?

Do the 10 rd mags with base pads stick out of the bottom very far? Pics please?

Any opinions on my set up?

Another vote for Tripp mags. I use the Dawson no gap basepads since I use the Dawson no gap magwell. I'd bet the standard Tripp basepads would work fine with the S&A magwell.

As far as checkered mag releases that are also drilled and tapped for a button...I don't know if I've ever seen one. I use the Dawson IDPA legal drilled and tapped release with the LoPro button when I'm shooting SS. I unscrew the button when I'm shooting CDP.

Hello: I think Dawson make an extended 1911 mag release that is IDPA legal and drilled and tapped for a button. You may want to weight that pistol to see if it makes weight for IDPA. If you are close look at the Briley aluminum guide rod from Sean at Power Factor Shooting. I really like them on my single stacks and my 2011's :cheers: Thanks, Eric

The Wilson and Tripp mags are bot h great products. I have found that shooting a 1911 in .40 with 9 rd mags gives a little bit of an advantage IMO as far as when and where to reload.

IDPA or USPSA or both? I am actually considering just ordering a few more Springfield 9 round mags and running those. It would definitely save me some cash by only needing to order 4 more of these vs 6 new ones that run $15 more...

I am lucky enough to know a great SS shooter who is selling me a Springfield Loaded in 9mm and he will be doing a bit of work to it for me. I have until Sunday night to change some parts hes ordering and just looking for some opinions on my set up.

STI Tactical Adjustable Sight

Brazos Micro Dot FO front sight

S&A Slim Magwell Blended into frame

VZ Operator II slim grips

Wilson Skeleton Match Trigger set @ 3lbs

Wolf springs

As of right now I am not ordering a mag release because I want to keep it IDPA legal and i dont think 1/16" more would be worth the %. I would, however be interested in one that is IDPA legal but is also drilled and tapped so I could add the button for SS and remove it for ESP. I would really want one that is checkered with out the button installed...Is any one doing this?

What 10 round mags are best?

What base pads are best?

Do the 10 rd mags with base pads stick out of the bottom very far? Pics please?

Any opinions on my set up?

Both Tripp and Wilson 10 rnd 9mm mags work great. Both fit the box and wiht a mag well are fairly flush. The Cobra System mags will give you a bit more room in the box, useful if you have very tall sights..

Have you tried a 1911 with slim grips? I did not fined them all that great so if you haven't tried them you might want to.

I have not tried slim grips, but i have shorter fingers and I do think I will like them. Parts have all been ordered so Im stuck with them for now. If they dont work out, you will see a like new slim s&a magwell and slim vz grips with bushings and screws in the classifieds... I figure I will try them for a few matches, and if I dont like them they should be easy to sell and replace.

IDPA ESP - I shoot a Stainless Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm Target with FO front & stock adj. SA rear sight. VZ Grips and 10 round Tripp mags. Trigger job 3 lbs. Remainder of gun is stock as it came from the factory. Weighs 42.5 ounces with empty 10 round Tripp mag inserted. Fits IDPA box with room to spare. Had entire gun bead blasted so it has a matte finish with no glare. Runs flawlessly with good factory ammo & handloads. I can't use a bigger mouth magwell due to the current weight...only downside. But I like the extra weight of the Stainless Steel.

My loads are as follows:

Current Load

4.1 gr. Titegroup

124 gr. MG cmj

Range brass

Federal SPP

OAL 1.140

3.9 gr. Titegroup

115 gr. Berry Plated FMJ

Range brass

Federal SPP

OAL 1.140

Backup Just in case - Winchester White Box 115 gr. FMJ OAL 1.15

All group the same, no sight adj. necessary - 10 shot group of 2" at 25 yds. POA Gun shoots better than I will ever shoot and runs flawlessly. I can't ask for better.

Back to the choice between Tripp and Wilson 9mm mags.

I have have both Wilsons and Tripps so here is why I sold the Wilsons. They both ran but the Wilsons out of the box needed the spring cut to be able to reload fast with 10 rounds in the 10 round mags. From memory I took two coils off and they worked, before that they were just too hard to seat.

The Tripps are just a lot simpler to keep clean durring a match. The Wilsons have a plastic spacer to make up for the lenght of the 9mm round and the followers are plastic and harder to get in and out of the mag. You have to take them out by getting them vertical then rotating them out of the mag tube. The Tripps spacer is metal and stays in the mag, the followers drop out the bottom when you take them apart. I can take apart and clean 2 Tripp mags in the time it takes me to do 1 Wilson.

So, judging by what your set up is, I wont make weight with my s&a magwell uh?

Is the Springfield Loaded a Stainless Version? They also have a version that is not Stainless. If it's the stainless version then most likely you will not make weight (43.0 oz.) with the magwell. If you want to cut weight then don't use VZ grips (or hollow them out), use a GI or alum. guide rod, FO front sight, hollow out the grips, remove front or rear serrations, flat top the slide and checker with lines to eliminate glare, checker front strap. Basically remove weight where it is legal to do so for SS. The non-stainless version could make weight with the SA magwell.

Edited by 40S&W