Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell or Dawson for single stack?

818-DVC

I'm conflicted. Going to build a 9 single stack, and want to get the best magwell in terms of funneling and grip enhancement. I love that the Dawson comes with a checkered MsH, and that it fits over the grips. I like the techwell because you can get the grips to work with it. The Dawson looks a little more comfortable and like it pushes the hand higher into the gun. The techwell looks more flush but the flats don't look like much for comfort or higher grip. What do you people like?

I've used both the dawson and the techwell. I personally like the techwell a little better in that its easier to seat the magazines. I use wilson ETMs and the dawson is a little too deep to get them to seat consistently. Than being said if you're using longer base pads then there's nothing wrong with the dawson at all. I think you'll be happy either way. Hope that helps.

techwell tgo....

you can't go wrong...

i tried the dawson ice, the the techwell xt..

and seatle for the techwell tgo...

to me the tgo is perfect just enough extra surface to help with the reload, but not enough to get in the way of seating magazines.

this mag well is the best IMHO..

cheers,

Los.

I have both, and both do a great job of saving a botched reload. Both do a great job of givin your weak hand something to index on at the bottom of the grip. Both of them give you that all important High Speed Low Drag look that drives the chicks wild.

The primary difference I see is that the Dawson is a little lighter, and lets you use whatever grips you want. My guns make weight, and I prefer the alumagrips, so that's not an issue for me. On the other hand, the Dawson inserts get brittle after a while, and can be a hassle to get on and off. You need to buy a couple of extras for your bag.

As for basepads, the Techwell give you a couple of options. The Techwell SP works with any standard basepad and still gives 90% of the benefits of the full size Techwell or Dawson. The TGO makes more room for big hands. The Carry model works if your game gun rides on your hip the rest of the week.

At any rate - you won't regret either choice. Assuming you have multiple 1911s (who could just have one?), get one of each and see what works for you!

BB

Do have to cut the grips to work with the techwell?

Not if you use their alumagrips or G10 grips. They're already slotted. But lots of folks have re-worked other grips to work. Just takes a steady hand and willingness to take a router to your favorite grips.

I've tried them all. the best thing to do before you spend your money is to go to a match and ask to look at someone's gun. I had the XT my friend has an SVI. In the end I like the Dawson. The size of your hands makes difference also, it's the way it pushes your hand up into the beavertail.

I like the size and the slippery plastic on the edge of the Dawson.

If you don't fit the grips correctly on the Dawson it will be a mm or so too low and it is hard to seat mags. You just have to make sure the frame of the gun fits down in the slot in the magwell.

On the NoGap, my choice, you need to make sure the nose of your mag is not hitting the plastic. I have had to take a mm or so off the insert with some bases. It might take 3 or 4 minutes to do.

Once they fit (most stuff for a 1911 needs some fitting) they are fast. When you miss a little the mag slides well on the plastic insert and there are no gaps to catch on. If you hit the slot perfectly every time there is no need for one.

That is the XT. I have had the SP also and I prefer the SP.

What made you like the SP better?? The XT looks larger

The XT is larger and my Tripp mags are pretty much flush with it so I had to use a little extra care to make sure the mags were seated. I didn't like the look of the XT as well. Here is the same gun with an SP on it:

IMAG0333.jpg

Here is the XT with a Tripop mag in place. You can see how it fits pretty flush:

IMAG0049.jpg

Edited by Paul-the new guy

It might take a while to get used to a bigger magwell. I tried them all, but prefer the TGO since you can strip a mag from the front in the event one should hang up plus my hands hang over the bottom of the grip a little and the TGO still allow me plenty of positive contact with the grips. Also, I am a fan of the Techwell G10 grips