Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up a Dillon 550

Good Evening,

Just got off the phone from ordering a Dillon 550 in (.45ACP dies, strong mount, aluminum roller handle, empty case tray, bullet tray, 1" wrench, and primer flipper) from Brian Enos. This will be my first progressive metallic reloading press. I've loaded shotgun shells on a MEC Grabber for quite a few years. My bench seems to be rock-solid stable. What, if any, "tricks" or suggestiong do you have to setting it up and operating it, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Thanks

Tom

Pretty simple, although I can attest that it is a bit intimidating when you first open the box and try to sort it out mentally (likely just for those of us who haven't had recent/previous exposure to a press).

I read through the PDF a few times before mine arrived, and then had an iPad with the online version with me when I set mine up. Pretty straightforward process all in all.

Take your time setting up your station, and start with the dies farther out and work them tighter little by little until you get them adjusted where they need to be. As mentioned, be sure you have a case in and the press locked in the die when you tighten them down.

You'll love the press... amazing how many rounds you can pump out without even trying.

Roger

I think that they include a dvd on setting it up and it all makes sense, mostly. One thing that I goofed up on was the little spring thingy that holds the cartride in the shell holder on the first station (resize die). You want to make sure that it is in the middle of the case ie. isn't between the shell holder and the die. I broke the ears off of one of my shell holders because it wasn't properly adjusted. Dumb thing but wasn't paying attention.

Also when you adjust the wing nut on the rod that runs the powder measure make sure that your powder measurer slide is going all the way but just far enough. It explains it in the manual pretty well and once you put it together you will see what I mean.

A very simple machine and, as far as I'm concerned, the easiest to operate and plenty fast enough for all but the most serious reloaders. Wish I had one for each size primer.

Initial setup was a little intimidating to me. I'm just not that mechanically inclined. But with the DVD that I bought and the instruction manual I eventually got it done. Just take it slow and step by step and you'll get it done. It's a remarkably simple machine once you get it going and realize what it's doing and how it operates. I haven't been handloading very long and I learn something everyday. One thing about is you can call Dillon and they will stay on the phone with you as long as it takes to get you up and running. If something breaks it will be in the mail to you the same day. They are tops. You'll enjoy you 550. Trust me.

Keep the primer slide clean.

That's not possible unless you do you decapping on another press.

So lets just say I inherited a used 550 and the person before me decapped a lot on this press. Do I need to replace the primer slide or just disassemble and clean more often if I'm not able to have a 2nd press?

-Dan

You will know when it needs cleaning. When mine needs cleaning it is usually the bottom of the primer slide that needs attention.

Using another press kind of defeats the purpose of a progressive. The idea is one stroke = one finished round.

Keep your 550 simple....I took the case feeder off my 550 tonight. Some calibers it worked very good , some not so good. Everything seems to go smoother without it including the priming oeration.

Edited by P Taylor

You can clean/smooth the bottom of the primer slide with green scotchbrite followed by a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol.

Do not use scotchbrite or any other abrasive on the bearing (the flat piece of metal) that sits between the press and the primer slide. Just clean that with a paper towel and alcohol.

Read the manual before you try to get started.

Always tighten dies/lockrings with the ram up and a case in that die.

Good advise. Important to keep in mind that you will need to fine tune most dies until you get them exactly where you want them. Just take patience when you are learning. (we are always winning)

Dr. J - all good advice here. Also consider the Dillon tool holder and wrench set - bolts in to your strong mount on the back side. Will save you lots of time looking for the right sized allen wrench when switching toolheads and primer size.

On the primer slider and powder bar I rub on a very small amount of dry graphite - makes it very slick.

dlouie87 - you can probably find a real cheap RCBS Rockchucker (or similar single stage) on Craigslist. I deprime all my brass with a universal decapper on a Rockchucker before cleaning. Keeps the dust on the other end of the bench and off my Dillon. Takes some time but you save some on the back end by not having to clean your progressive as often. Just another way to do brass prep.

Remember that you have four things to do for each cartridge; insert the cartridge, seat the primer, advance the turret and place the bullet in.

Develop a rhythm to do it that is comfortable. You can mess up if you get out of the rhythm.

Edited by Flash66

Speaking of setup issues, does anyone else have issues with the Dillon lock rings coming loose and dies backing out? I was just loading some .45acp on my 550, and at the beginning of the session, I tested all the dies by very gently trying to turn them. I found the sizer was completely loose. It's not the first time.

Keep the primer slide clean.

That's not possible unless you do you decapping on another press.

So lets just say I inherited a used 550 and the person before me decapped a lot on this press. Do I need to replace the primer slide or just disassemble and clean more often if I'm not able to have a 2nd press?

-Dan

clean it dry...NO OIL

and get a pack of extra primer pick up tube

Edited by fishpinoy27