Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar Brass ejection

ffgats

Hello,

My midlenght 14.5 Ar ejection of the brass especially the 5.56 rounds to 5 Oclock angle, not so much with the 223 ammo, in fact its ejecting at a 3 0clock to 4 oclock. Right now the ejected brass is hitting the forward assist housing and causing some scratches , which I dont like because this is a new rifle, just got it a month ago.

this is how my rifle is set up,

Vltor standard A5 kit , but replaced the action spring to a Sprinco green spring , I still have the vltor spring that comes with kit, should I replaced the spring back to Vltor and maybe a heavier buffer.

thanks

lol, it took me 10 months to complete this rifle, funds are very limited,kidding aside, I used the sprinco action spring based on my buddys recommendationed, maybe would try to used the Vlttor spring, my rifle is not a safe queen, fired almost 500rnds in a month, just doesnt like the marks on the gun. thanks for the replies.

Experiment is probably the best thing to do, to find the right combination for your setup.

Race guns are like race cars, they are built to be used. Brass marks on the deflector are just something that happens. I have seen ar collectors take Velcro and stick it on the deflector to prevent those marks, but using a rifle during a match is going to result in marks of many kinds. My suggestion would be, enjoy the shooting more than you hate the marks, and let it ride.

Tar

I have a POF 18" piston that throws all empties forward at 1 to 2 o'clock. Seems pretty weired to me, but it functions darn near perfect, so I'm not complaining. My other DI AR's eject about like yours, and the brass deflecters have a copper patina to them. In other words, normal. :cheers:

im very familiar with the DI systems, if they were kicking them out at 1 oclock, you would more likely than not, be overgassed and the brass would be bouncing off the deflector hard enough to make them go forward, but im not sure if the piston versions have the same response. multiple fixes for DI guns, turn the gas down, run colder ammo, run a heavier buffer, etc, but again, not sure what the pistons do in the same situation.

Yeah, the brass is hitting the base of the deflector and bouncing forward. I have the 2nd generation of the POF piston system. There are 2 settings and I have it on the lower setting. Does the same on the higher (more gas) setting. I just know the thing runs great, so where the brass ends up is minor. I suppose the worry might be that an empty could bounce back into the mechanism and cause a malfunction, but I've been shooting this gun for 5 years or so, including 4 MGM Ironman (Ironmen?), with no issues.

Chances are you'll run fine and it won't be an issue, but if it's ejecting where it is, something is off. Whether or not it is realized in an stoppate, time will tell that's why we're suggesting you identify it and remediate it.

Then again, run it until the wheels come off...

:)