Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Its over!

Phil Dunlop

What an awesome 2 weeks, the most amazing sporting event and only four years to wait for the next one :(

Congratulations Greece, the IOC and the awesome sportsmen and women dedicated enough to have qualified.

Oh well, back to Coronation Street.. :ph34r:

Am I allowed to hate the fact that the American gymnast has shamelessly decided to keep the gold medal, even though he didn't win it. To [H-E-Double Hockey Sticks] with technicalities. That's really pathetic.

Edited by EricW

I hate that the lack of impartiality and overwhelming incompetence of the judges from the past several Olympics is threatening to ruin amateur sports. There were major problems with the judging in just about every event I watched (swimming, diving, gymnastics mostly).

I hate that we allow professionals to play in the amateur game. I hate that there are precious few actual amateurs left at the Olympic level in any of the sports. Face it folks...almost everyone you saw on TV is getting a paycheck from Adidas, Nike, their National Olympic Committee, etc.

I hate that the opening and closing ceremonies are less about ceremony and more about spectacle.

But it could be worse...next week we have another political convention to endure. I hate that.

I hate that there are so many events that aren't sports.

If a group of people decides who wins, and sometimes even change there score because of the reaction of the crowd, can it really be a sport?

I'm not saying that it doesn't take much more athletic ability than I could ever muster, but if winning is the same as a beauty contest...

Track & Field, timed swimming events, shooting... those are sports! I can see the times and scores, andf I know who wins without 5-8 people telling me why they did or didn't. (The infamous joke about 5.5 from the Czech judge).

Hey, it is the Hate forum!

Am I allowed to hate the fact that the American gymnast has shamelessly decided to keep the gold medal, even though he didn't win it.  To [edited to protect Flex's virgin eyes] with technicalities.  That's really pathetic.

Where that...yeah there it is..

:rolleyes:

If a group of people decides who wins, and sometimes even change there score because of the reaction of the crowd, can it really be a sport?

I'm with you, Berkim....

A "sport" is where someone objectively wins... either by finishing objectively faster, objectively scoring more points, hitting something objectively closer to the center of the target, etc.

These things where a group of people get together and decide subjectively which person did the "best" are... well, I don't know what they should be called, but it isn't "sport". There are too many opportunities for mistakes, biases, and outright dishonesties to affect the outcome.

Not that rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming and aerial trampoline routines and the like aren't fun to watch, and require a huge degree of athleticism and skill... they just aren't "sports", in my book.

Bruce

And that's the main reason I watch so little of the Summer games. I'm impatient for the Winter Olympics. Not as much shooting going on then so I can actually watch! And I think the only "sport that isn't" in the Winter games is figure skating. The others are all objective.

Joel

I think the worst has to be the crazy jerk in the audience running out and accosting the lead runner in the Marathon! That was probably one of the coolest events, being run on the original course, and to win such a race would be incredibly awesome.

To have some jerk run out and grab at you on mile 22, when you're a minute ahead, and then leave you all flustered with 4 miles to go, and you get a bronze medal, is a big travesty.

Winter Olympics are cool...short track speed skating and the biathalon rock!

DogmaDog