Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch 625

Lentz

Probably not enough to get anyone too excited. It would probably have to be one of those special runs through one of the distributors, and that means $$$$.

Plus, wouldn't a 6" 625 be nothing more than a 25-2 with an internal lock, out-of-spec chambers, and a peening problem?

Well you know that I would like it since I run a 6.5" :)

I run a Ti to solve the peening but Jerry said that he has trying to talk them into doing the induction hardening of the cylinder stop notches so that would solve the peening. As long as the out of spec chambers are small we can still finish the build our selves. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the 25-2 I just got is going to cost a lot of money to get running judging from the post by Carmoney. Maybe I should sell it before I even shoot it?

Any suggestions?

John, I think you misunderstood my post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 25-2, other than the fact that they usually don't shoot well with cast bullets. They shoot fine with jacketed and plated bullets. Do the action, narrow the trigger, slap on some Hogues, and you're in business.

I was trying to point out that if they made a 6" 625 today, it would have the same performance benefit as the 25-2 (namely, the longer sight radius) but with the QC problems that have plagued the recent production guns (peening and tight chambers). Might as well just start with the 25-2 and avoid those issues.

It won't happen. Some years back Jerry was trying to get S&W to make an 8-shot 627 in 9mm and just about everybody he spoke with wanted one or more. I told him I'd buy 3-4 and at our club with only about a dozen ICORE shooters they would have sold 20+. crickets chipping....

If Jerry can't get a gun built, no one can

Carmoney, Thanks for the explanation, wowee! I'm going to have it worked than. Any suggestions on the front sight? i.e. mill it off or drill it out and put in a FO? Is that silver soldered in?

Carmoney, Thanks for the explanation, wowee! I'm going to have it worked than. Any suggestions on the front sight? i.e. mill it off or drill it out and put in a FO? Is that silver soldered in?

all of the 25-2s that i have were pinned front sights

the blueing on them is just so good its hard to see the pin

Steve

If you really want a 6" just find a take off 44 mag barrel on gun broker and get it reamed out and installed.

What do you mean by reamed out? 44 mag takes .429 bullets and 45 acp takes .451 bullets. You would need to totally re-bore and re-rifle the barrel to work on a 625!

Mike