Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers & Powder availability

blacklab2011

PANIC!!!!!

I presume they were scarce before the election because chicken-little was hoarding them in anticipation. I presume they will be scarcer still for a couple months, but pretty all the hoarders should be well stocked by now.

I try to keep enough on hand to last several months.

I think I've seen this movie before. I keep a year or so's worth of components on hand because they're cheaper to buy in bulk. If things get scarce when that runs low, I'll dryfire more. I wish I could dryfire matches, because I'm a lot faster and more accurate that way!

BB

I'm ordering enough tonight to last me 5 years of shooting. wink.gif I only shoot about 7500-10000 rounds a year.

50k primers and 40 lbs of powder should about do it. Thank goodness I use small Rifle primers..

No more load development for me! LOL

I got into this sport right after the 2008 election and thought I had made a terrible mistake as I could not find a gun, powder or primers for months. I won't let that happen again.

I'm also going to order another lower and a few more cases of 5.56 to compliment my new AR as well as two more handguns. My wife and I both carry so we need a few more for around the house. cheers.gif

The only thing that won't be too much trouble to get will be Montana Gold bullets. They always seem to keep up pretty well with demand.

I think I've seen this movie before. I keep a year or so's worth of components on hand because they're cheaper to buy in bulk. If things get scarce when that runs low, I'll dryfire more. I wish I could dryfire matches, because I'm a lot faster and more accurate that way!

BB

:roflol: Too much and too accurate. I just noticed I had 15,000 more on hand as I was rearranging the loading area. I have brass, powder, and primers. Bullets, baby, bullets. That is what I need! Although I did just purchase another 5k. Go figure.I just buy them when my local guy has them. I will probably just get to the point that I have to trade some primers locally for some bullets.

Kind a what I figured, a panic that will eventually subside. I'm a fairly new shooter just getting into reloading. Hoping to reload over the winter to prepare for next season, I'll keep my eye for primers when I can find them, bullet & powder availability seems pretty good.

Kind a what I figured, a panic that will eventually subside. I'm a fairly new shooter just getting into reloading. Hoping to reload over the winter to prepare for next season, I'll keep my eye for primers when I can find them, bullet & powder availability seems pretty good.

i got a few 1000 small magnum pistol primers, after reading on here that several people tried them and couldn't tell any difference at all. I still have a cabela's coupon, so i might go get some more before the coupon expires.

Last night I ordered 2500 180 gr FMJ, and 4000 230 gr FMJ. Counting what I have on hand I have enough for the next 4 years or so. Same for powder and primers. Back in '08, is was not fun finding anything.

I'm ordering enough tonight to last me 5 years of shooting. wink.gif I only shoot about 7500-10000 rounds a year.

50k primers and 40 lbs of powder should about do it. Thank goodness I use small Rifle primers..

No more load development for me! LOL

I got into this sport right after the 2008 election and thought I had made a terrible mistake as I could not find a gun, powder or primers for months. I won't let that happen again.

I'm also going to order another lower and a few more cases of 5.56 to compliment my new AR as well as two more handguns. My wife and I both carry so we need a few more for around the house. cheers.gif

The only thing that won't be too much trouble to get will be Montana Gold bullets. They always seem to keep up pretty well with demand.

See the above to find out why we have shortages.

Oh, we will do it to ourselves. Let the panic and hoarding begin.

I hope more of the buyers will go for those $65 per K primers like they did last time. I hope they eat them too.

Lotsa shooters got up this morning and for no reason I can see, ordered enough supplies to last until the next election, which means there won't be enough left over for the rest of us.

We have met the enemy and he is us.

I hope more of the buyers will go for those $65 per K primers like they did last time. I hope they eat them too.

Lotsa shooters got up this morning and for no reason I can see, ordered enough supplies to last until the next election, which means there won't be enough left over for the rest of us.

So you order only enough bullets, primers, and powder to last one month?

So you order only enough bullets, primers, and powder to last one month?

No, I order enough to last a year. It's folks who are ordering enough to last for the next 3 Presidential elections (or they are just speculating on prices) that cause the shortage. Obama didn't cause the last shortage. We did. And, it sounds like we will be doing it again. Makes one proud.....

I hate to be rude, but did you guys not see this election coming? Why buy the day after the election? I actually have to admit I was caught off guard 4 years ago by the primer shortage, but I never ran out - just didn't have as much on the shelf as I would normally like to. I'm not suggesting people should "hoard" supplies but it seems like part of general preparedness is having what you need to ride out market fluctuation.

~Mitch

I have used Montana Gold since I started shooting but today the 124 JHP are $340 per case :surprise::surprise: Will the price ever level off??? Almost a 37% increase in 5 1/2 yrs. I use N350 and it has only risen 23%....Might have to start looking for a less expensive alternative :(

11/2012 340

06/2012 320

02/2012 325

10/2011 308

05/2011 300

05/2010 300

04/2009 290

08/2008 283

12/2007 273

08/2007 262.50

04/2007 216

I used to have a cousin, that whenever the little SH&$ started a conversation with I hate to be rude, but, I would immediately say, then STFU!

:roflol: Thanks AT - I deserve that. At least I ain't carrying an ugly knife (nor shooting an ugly gun! :cheers:

I used to have a cousin, that whenever the little SH&$ started a conversation with I hate to be rude, but, I would immediately say, then STFU!

:roflol: Thanks AT - I deserve that. At least I ain't carrying an ugly knife (nor shooting an ugly gun! :cheers:

:cheers:

I hate to be rude, but did you guys not see this election coming? Why buy the day after the election? I actually have to admit I was caught off guard 4 years ago by the primer shortage, but I never ran out - just didn't have as much on the shelf as I would normally like to. I'm not suggesting people should "hoard" supplies but it seems like part of general preparedness is having what you need to ride out market fluctuation.

~Mitch

Quite honestly I was hoping and praying that Mitt was going to win. When Obama said in a debate that he was going to reinstate an assault weapons ban I started getting my list together. When he won I put the order in.

Last time around I was one of those guys who got caught with no supplies on hand and every time I visited PV it said there are over 50 million primers on order.

That ain't happening again just so I can be looked upon as a good guy by somebody on the forum. I actually am planning on a ten year supply now. That way I might even be burned out and not shooting anymore by the time I run out.

At least I am not doing what a lot of people did by ordering a pallet of primers and selling them for 50% more than I paid for them.

Hopefully (and I'm probably wrong) there is enough rule of law and common sense left that a Republican House won't give Obama an AWB or anything he asks for.

It's the supreme court that scares me. I think the last gun related vote was decided by a single vote?