Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro vs Julie Golob model

Langenator

I'm currently using a Kimber 1911 for 3-gun (because that's what I had when I started).

So I'm looking for something in a 9mm to upgrade - reduce ammo cost and number of mag changes. Preferably not a Glock, because the grip angle drives me crazy.

I couldn't find much of anything on here about the Julie Golob model. Other than the fact that it's only available with a 4.25" barrel, how does it stack up against the standard M&P Pro?

If you are prepared to buy an aftermarket barrel (about $150 or so) for it, yes, get the Pro. The 4.25s that I have shot were all more accurate than the 9mm Pros. I did get a 9mmPro and put an aftermarket barrel in it.

If you are prepared to buy an aftermarket barrel (about $150 or so) for it, yes, get the Pro. The 4.25s that I have shot were all more accurate than the 9mm Pros. I did get a 9mmPro and put an aftermarket barrel in it.

Both of my Pros shoot fine, neither need an after market barrel......your mileage may vary.

Both of my Pros shoot fine, neither need an after market barrel......your mileage may vary.

I get that from a lot of shooters...until I put a 5" plate out at 40 yards and they can't hit it. I hand them mine, down in 1 shot...then their 9mm Pro no longer shoots fine. :surprise:

I get that from a lot of shooters...until I put a 5" plate out at 40 yards and they can't hit it. I hand them mine, down in 1 shot...then their 9mm Pro no longer shoots fine. :surprise:

Mark, you use a KKM and ammo based on Hornday HAP bullets? I think my 5" Pro needs some of that medicine too.

Does it change the equation any that I don't handload?

Might. If you get a 4.25, you will be able to find some accurate factory (or reman) ammo. If you get a Pro, you might get one that that is accurate, or one that starts out that way and drifts to patterns, or one that patterns out of the box. You can always try some various ammo, like Hornady steel match, and see what you get. It might be acceptable for you and that would be great. All I am saying is to plan for the potential with a 9mm Pro, that you may not get acceptable accuracy without an aftermarket barrel.

So.......I guess mine don't shoot near as good as I thought. :)

Do you really want to pay extra for the pink grips? Why not just get a standard M&P 9 and put your own (better) FO sights on it? Should be able to do that for less than what the JG costs.

What have you done to yours?

• 3 weeks later...

@ Langenator. I agree there are a lot of aftermarket parts for the M&P. I originally shot a Glock 34. I moved over to M&P Pro 40 for limited. Additionally, I bought a the 40 because I can easily convert it to 9MM. I purchased 9MM mags and the Storm Lake 9MM conversion for it. Now I shoot USPSA Limited and 3 Gun with it in 9MM.

post-43166-135449970017_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife purchased a JG model a number of years ago to get into the sport and it's been an accurate, reliable shooter so far. We like it because it's a competitive, fun, and different gun.

Her JG moved me from Glock to M&P and I've not looked back. As Mark mentioned, the 4.25 is a VERY capable gun, so much so I also went with the "standard" length gun, slowly built it into what I felt made for an ideal production gun, and hold my own in my class (and sometimes against one above me).

The Pro models are nice for an out-of-the-box blaster, but the 4.25 models aren't really lacking anything for a Production shooter. Now, if you're going Limited racing with it, I think a modified Pro (5") gun is the place to start, but your mileage may vary.

Just my $1.02... cheers!

Do you really want to pay extra for the pink grips? Why not just get a standard M&P 9 and put your own (better) FO sights on it? Should be able to do that for less than what the JG costs.

The shop here in town has the JG model and the other M&P 9mm (sans pink grips) for the same price. Maybe a shop specific thing though.

• 3 weeks later...