Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets "New Coating"

jrbet83

Call someone? With my smart phone? Do you realize how many screens and buttons I have to navigate through to find the dial pad on this thing? This is 2012 and I'm on the internet, I prefer to keep person to person communication to a minimum. Otherwise someone might figure out that I am not really a 9 foot tall hybrid version of Robocop and the Terminator. :D

sorry, could't resist and I didn't know Bayou wasn't a vendor.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using Donnie's bullets for a while now. I am local to Donnie and pick my bullets up in person. I received some of the very first run of the new coating to test before he started selling them. I've seen no noticeable difference in the bullets performance. I've only run a single 10 shot string through the chrono and saw 4fps slower than the previous chrono session with the old coating. Way too small to say the new coating was a factor. All in all I like the new coating. My understanding is that it will greatly improve his availability and that was the reason for the change.

I also am a local to Donnie. I stopped by his shop to pick up some 200's. He had some that he wasn't satisfied with the color and he made me a deal on them. I think Donnie is a stand up guy. he wants nothing but quality associated with his bullets. I know first hand about that. If you are receiving a different velocity with the new coating, make the appropriate adjustments. We all have to make the power factor for the division we shoot. It's not that hard people!

Call someone? With my smart phone? Do you realize how many screens and buttons I have to navigate through to find the dial pad on this thing? This is 2012 and I'm on the internet...

I run Chrome w/Google Voice. So, all ya have to do is click on the number and it calls you...to call somebody (Pretty cool).

I don't even have to set down my chalice. :)

Call someone? With my smart phone? Do you realize how many screens and buttons I have to navigate through to find the dial pad on this thing? This is 2012 and I'm on the internet...

I run Chrome w/Google Voice. So, all ya have to do is click on the number and it calls you...to call somebody (Pretty cool).

I don't even have to set down my chalice. :)

Don't tell me ENOS Admins are allowed to drink Stella Artois. I thougt you guys were restricted to Kool-Aid. :eatdrink:

• 2 weeks later...

A buddy of mine is getting consistent 30 fps slower chrono readings with the new coating.

I too am getting slower velocities, probably around that 30 mark.

The other thing that frustrates me about the whole situation, is my first order last year (his prices had just gone up) I got the dull dark green finish. Placed another order earlier this year (his prices had just gone up again) and received the order in two lots. The first lot was the same dull finish but looked to be about half the coating. I know he was having supply issues, so I'm assuming it was using less coating, to try and stretch it out as much as possible. The second lot was his new dark green shiny bullet. When I asked him about it, he told me "I was having major supply issues with the original coating material adding to the delays. I decided to go another route and use this new stuff." That's not, I've been testing new coatings and came up with this new and improved version. Plus, he never even mentioned the difference in coatings over the phone or emails. I had to contact him and ask what the deal was. OK I'm done with my rant, but just disappointing when it seems like his prices are going up and quality going down.

nxj412.jpg

Iam going out on a limb here, but could you be using a powder that is temperature sensitive ? So maybe when you set up your powder drop it was nice and warm and now using the same drop temp is cold ????

• 5 weeks later...

I concur with the fact Donnie is a stand up guy. I met him at Area 4 and was very impressed with how personable he is. I have both the 2nd and 3rd gen versions and saw no different on my Maj PF loads with the 180s in 40 cal. Keep up the good work Donnie and it was a pleasure meeting you.

• 1 month later...

FWIW I recently ran two 147gr. 9mm loads (2 different powders) over the chrono with both the gen 2 and gen 3 coating. I fired 10 rounds of each load (40 rounds total). The results were as follows:

Load 1 gen 2 - Avg vel. 887.7, Avg pf 130.5

Load 1 gen 3 - Avg vel. 874.3 , Avg pf 128.5

Load 2 gen 2 - Avg vel. 902.6 , Avg pf 132.7

Load 2 gen 3 - Avg vel. 903.8, Avg pf 132.9

As you can see one load was virtually identical and the other was slightly slower. However, 13.4 fps is only a 1.5% change in velocity so I am not sure how statistically signifcant that is with a sample size of 10 rounds. I also measured the OAL of all rounds before firing. The average of the gen 2 rounds was 0.002" shorter in both cases. In previous testing I did I found a variance of +- 0.005" really didn't impact velocity much with this load so I doubt if that was a factor. Load #1 happens to be my preferred load so I will test again before loading up a large batch but I am not too worried about it.

I'm good with the emerald green description. I just started calling them gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 for lack of a better name since the actual content of the coating is apparently proprietary. My impression is that gen 1 and gen 2 were similar with gen 2 being somewhat thinner and not quite as tough. The gen 3 seems to be an entirely different materiel sourced from a different supplier.

I haven't ran my loads through the Chrono yet since I have received the new coated bullets. I will try to do so before the weekend is over with so that I can verify this for myself. I load them right to the 165/165 power factor so I have to be careful. I have a sanctioned match coming up next month and don't want to get DQ'ed.

I haven't ran my loads through the Chrono yet since I have received the new coated bullets. I will try to do so before the weekend is over with so that I can verify this for myself. I load them right to the 165/165 power factor so I have to be careful. I have a sanctioned match coming up next month and don't want to get DQ'ed.

You don't get DQ'd for not making major PF, you just are scored minor.

And if you are loading them to right at 165....you may have issues at chrono.

Chrono's are different, temperature can change things.

Most folks like to have a "little" cushion.

You don't get DQ'd for not making major PF, you just are scored minor.

And if you are loading them to right at 165....you may have issues at chrono.

Chrono's are different, temperature can change things.

Most folks like to have a "little" cushion.

This is truth right here.

I chrono'd my match loads through a CED Millineum and a Pro Chrono on the same day at the same time and got 171PF on both. Then I get to MCC and chrono at 178. GlockCan you ought to add a bit of cushion. It's only a matter of time. There are a bunch of factors that cause variant readings and one of them is going hit you at a match.

Edited by Shadowrider

Well I tried to get off work early and head out to the range...got out there too late and only got to chrono a few rounds before it got too dark for the chrono to work. So I don't consider my results to be final, but the 10 rounds that I did fire averaged 30fps slower...and I was using the 3rd generation bullets.

We have a GSSF match this weekend so I won't be able to chrono any more till next week as the range is going to be used all weekend.

Just out of curiosity was that 30 fps slower than some rounds tested in the same chrono session or 30 fps slower compared to some other time you chronoed the loads?

This was from just the one session with the new 3rd generation bullets. Using the same load/settings as I would the 2nd generation bullets. But as I said earlier, I am not through testing.

I chrono'd this weekend, and my Gen 3 160gr 9mm bullets averaged about 15 fps slower than Gen 2. In my mind, this is not a material difference, and could be attributed to the tempurature or humidity. I'm still comfortably over minimum power factor. For that matter, if I shorted the OAL a bit it could easily make up the difference.

An the new pretty coating smells better after you shoot it. No doubt, this makes it a better coating. All hail the new Gator Snot.

Lots of good information here. I am on the waiting list for my first case of Bayou Bullets and really looking forward to getting them. I have to do some more searching but if anyone has pet loads for 40 S&W at 1.135 OAL using Titegroup or N320 please feel free to share. Really looking forward to seeing how these work out of my KKM barreled Glock 35.

I love Bayou Bullets and they are all I’m using for the foreseeable future. I think they are the best mix of quality bullet, smoking, and price available. They do smoke more then when I run a JHP but I describe them as producing the same amount of smoke as a FMJ with an exposed base. I tried Titegroup with them but was unhappy with the amount of smoke (same as I was when using it with FMJs). Below are the loads I developed for my M&Ps (40 pro and 9L).

OAL is 1.135 on all loads

9MM 135gr 4.0gr WST 135PF

40S&W 140gr 4.0gr Clays 135PF

40S&W 180gr 5.5 WSF 175PF

I have gen 1, 2, 3 bullets that I plan on chronoing as soon as I get a free day that it's not snowing up here. I'll list my findings after.

Edited by ryan45kim

How long is the waiting list?

When I talked to Donnie last week he would not give me a date. I am guessing 8-10 weeks out. He did mention that he is considering shutting down backorders for a while so they can catch up. Shoot him an email and ask. I have to say that based on him calling me back and the conversation we had if the bullets perform even close to Berry's, Xtreme or others I will be shifting my purchases to Bayou!