Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Costa Ludus M&P

ltdmstr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fondled the first one when ATEi brought it down to Costa during a Costa Ludus class I was taking. I didn't get to shoot it, but I did take some photos of Costa shooting it. Seemed to cycle quickly, and dry firing it showed it had a nice trigger, but for $1500 I would pass.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

$1500 for a gun that is of absolutely no value for our games? No thanks. $1500 for any M&P is nuts.

there is life outside of competition... But inside I would think the Pro version would make an awfully nice limited gun if you put an SSS magwell on it.

Competition - You would be shooting Limited minor. That would be a crippling disadvantage.

Besides competition and carry what's left? Plinking? I guess it's a niche market to want an overpriced polymer gun with some fancy work done on it just to look at. I hope he puts aftermarket extractors in those guns for that much money. ohmy.gif

I didn't realize they only come in 9mm, that's to bad.

In general, people buy lots of guns that aren't for competition or carry. Those are just the two big reasons most of us buy them. It's just fun to shoot different guns! I'M not going to pay $1500 for that gun, but I bet some people will. It's no more ridiculous than someone buying a suped up 1911 or a custom revolver with scroll work and pearl grips.

I think most of us on here are very mission oriented, but a lot of people aren't. It's like a motorcycle, it doesn't fit a mission, but it sure is fun and it looks sexy in your garage!

$1500 may not be as far off as what you think. About $600 for the gun then $175 or so for a barrel, $100 in sights, $150 or so of Apex stuff and you're already over $1000 and that's if you do it all yourself and doesn't include machining the slide cuts or refinishing. That's not as crazy as paying nearly $4000 for a single stack that isn't that great for competition either. Granted it would only be competitive in multigun but let's be honest, any "affordable" plastic gun will be over $1000 by the time you get done messing with it and the alternative, say a 2011 will start at double that price by the time you tune it up and buy a few mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting anyone actually go out and buy the thing. Just thought it was interesting. Personally, I think having those slide cut-outs on what's supposed to be a tactical pistol is a big mistake. I do like the mag catch and the front serrations, but other than that, this is not how I'd set up my gun. And the fact that it has someone's name on it, whether Costa's or anyone elses, is another reason not to buy it.

Slide cutouts are a bad idea for any tactical weapon as they create another way for "stuff" to get into the gun and cause problems. If you want to lighten the slide, there are other ways to do it. But I guess you don't get the cool looks of the cutouts. For a serious tactical weapon, I personally wouldn't chose any of those you listed.

Why are slide cutouts a bad thing for a "tactical" M&P but not on a Berretta 92?

They are a bad thing on the 92/M9. There are competitions and selections happening now to replace the M9 by the US Army. One thing that has been made perfectly clear is no exposed barrels such as the M9 to prevent stoppages due to debris getting between slide and barrel.

I do like the mag catch

My Costa mag release/catch bent and started getting mags stuck along with causing feeding problems because the mag was setting low in the gun. They have yet to return my email and I'm too lazy to make a phone call at this point.

Good luck with your return :unsure:

I do like the mag catch

My Costa mag release/catch bent and started getting mags stuck along with causing feeding problems because the mag was setting low in the gun. They have yet to return my email and I'm too lazy to make a phone call at this point.

Wow man. That sucks. Hope you'll have a good outcome.

As for the Costa Edition M&P, I'll pass.

I do like the mag catch

Yup they manufacture pure crap. You are now the 5th time I've heard this and have witnessed it twice in person. 1 of which was with mine. I couldn't care less about returning it, if you're going to sell something for TEN times the price of the factory part and it works less than a month. Your company sucks. Threw mine in the trash, probably about as far as this gun should be thrown.

Tell us how you really feel, lol.

Gotta love an honest man. I bet his wife doesn't appreciate the honesty when it comes to the old question of if her ass looks fat in these jeans...

Haha, yeah I flew off the handle a little. But when you've been waiting all month to get to a match to shoot your new toy (I work weekends) and the mag falls out on the first stage which is also the classifier... Then it happens to another guy in your squad with the same new shiny peice of plastic. It's unbelievable how angry it will make you.

Tell us how you really feel, lol.

Gotta love an honest man. I bet his wife doesn't appreciate the honesty when it comes to the old question of if her ass looks fat in these jeans...

Haha, yeah I flew off the handle a little. But when you've been waiting all month to get to a match to shoot your new toy (I work weekends) and the mag falls out on the first stage which is also the classifier... Then it happens to another guy in your squad with the same new shiny peice of plastic. It's unbelievable how angry it will make you.

I feel your pain! My gun was new as well when I was having the issues. It was also my first time loading .40 for any gun. So when I was having feeding malfunctions, I figured it was me. The malfunctions continued for a couple matches with me chasing my tail trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, because none of my M&P9's ever choke... Then last match I got a mag stuck. WTF, right? It had about 10 rounds in it, and I was reloading on the move but it did't fall free. Had to bobble my reload and rip the mag out. After that I decided to tear the whole gun down and see what was up. This is what I found...

8192811085_80208cfd1c_c.jpg

Untitled by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

8193899710_39fd1ef7c0_z.jpg

8192811811_08d5904cbd_z.jpg

I've got another one in my 9L that seems to be fine. Not sure what's up with this one, and it was bent DOWN which I find weird as well. My only guess is it's because of the heavy mag springs, heavy weight of the mags being loaded with 20 rounds that just beat it down as the gun cycles. Clearly not a hardened part like it should be as the factory ones don't have issues. And I'm not gonna bash their customer service yet, as I've been too lazy to call them and only emailed, without any response from them at this point.