Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 loads/ammo - all-around use?

shuter

Montana gold 55grn .223 in pre-processed Top brass with H335 for pretty much everything. I have some 77 grain ammo but have yet to need it for anything. I like the simplicity of knowing my exact holds with the 55 grain bullets in my swaro and not needing to memorize holds for a second bullet. Until I have an issue with the 55's not cutting it, I'm sticking with it.

Appreciate it, guys! I will read up on the thread linked above...looks like a lot of good info. Thanks Mark.

shuter

Please do yourself a favor, and purchase a couple loading manuals. Sierra, Hornady and Hodgdon are a good start. I think everyone uses a load that is close to what is in those manuals.

Where are you located?

Personally, I like 69g SMK as a load. Great for load distance and/or windy days.

My next batch of reloads will probably be 62 grain. Seems like a nice compromise between the 55 and 69.

VV 133 or 135 is a great powered, just expensive.

I am finding great accuracy from Hornady Steel ammo.

For factory loads, Federal American Express 55 gr. is hard to beat for a general all-round load. Or Fed. XM193.

Agreed. I've bought some Hornady Steel Match 75 grain to try on some longer shots, but for everything this year, I've used the Federal American Eagle AE223 factory load.

I'm in Western Oregon.

Where are you located?

Personally, I like 69g SMK as a load. Great for load distance and/or windy days.

My next batch of reloads will probably be 62 grain. Seems like a nice compromise between the 55 and 69.

VV 133 or 135 is a great powered, just expensive.

I am finding great accuracy from Hornady Steel ammo.

Long range load for me is either Nosler, Sierra or Lapua 77 grain BTHP with 22 grains of N135 with Lake City Brass and Federal Match Primers.

Short Range load is 55 grain Hornady FMJ with 25.5 grains of H335.

Medium range load 52 grain Hornady BTHP with 26.3 grains of H335.

Pat

I would look for two ammo choices; or at least its what i do. I have a 55 FMJ load that i use for close in stuff under 200 and another 77 load for long range. I find that accuracy among 55 jmj can range from bad to very good and i think that the hornady 55 FMJ is about as good as it gets. I have tried some others that are not worth much at all. I fond that i get less flip and better recoil control from the 55's and its a shame to waste a good 77 punching a hole at 5 yds. With my 1.5-5 MK4, the range settings are close to the same with both.