Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Prismatic

TRUBL

Soooooo.....after shooting Blue Ridge, it's finally became apparent that IF I am going to continue to shoot in TAC Iron......I'll be switching to a Prismatic.

I am leaning towards the cross hair reticle, cause that is what I am used to in a scope.....but the other reticle (circle/dot) has a few circles.

I am trying to find the specs on both reticles (MOA, etc.) but there is anythign that I've found on the Leupold website.

Anyone know? Any recommendation?

Tim

The DCD reticule found in the Prismatic in the hunting section of Leupold's site seems to be the preferred choice for those guys.

Yep, talked with both of those guys at Fallen Brethren. I just bought a DCD as both said that was the way to go. The center dot is around 3MOA so it will just cover a 6" plate at 200 yards. FYI....the Larue mounts for them have a 1-2 week lead time or I'd have mine on the gun already.

Ben

Edited by wideerhunter

Did they give any indication on how the circles (or what reference in the reticule) were being used for 350-500y targets? Out to 300-350 should be easy enough.

Haven't seen any MOA subtension sheet for that reticule or drops discussed on it here in the forums, so was curious about that and why the Prismatic is the "go-to" 1X if the circles don't align well with drops....unless the turrets are easily accessible to dial on the clock?

I've been working with a prismatic for a few months now and have found the DCD reticle to be an excellent choice. The dot is about as small as it can be and still be visible. The big circles make the optic plenty fast on close stuff, and the targets are unobscured when holding over/under. I was at the range yesterday testing some new 308 loads and found it very easy to hit 400+ yd targets with the DCD reticle. I really like the sight and find it highly functional. Only two areas where it could be greatly improved. 1st, with an external module controlling illumination, it could and should be brighter. I'm learning to live without day light bright, but there really isn't any reason why this one couldn't be much brighter than it is. It's not a show stopper and would only be a benefit on the very closest and fastest courses, but hey wishing is free. 2nd, the mount down right blows. The spacer stack doesn't lock up as tight as it should and the big thumb screw is both not return to zero and comes loose while firing. A Larue or one of the new American mounts is a must. In addition, the kit doesn't come with screws long enough to support the shim stack if elevated to the same 1.5" as most other AR scope mounts. You will be forced to hunt up some screws. So plan on the scope, Larue mount, longer screws and some red loctite. When you get the shim stack the level you want, put a glob of loctite between each of the shims and then bolt it all together. That should keep things from moving around.

Using the Pris at varying ranges is simply practicing and knowing your holds. It ain't as tough as you might think though. I zero mine at 300yds. Cross over is close to 25yds with POI being a couple of inches high at 50. 100-250 are 6oclock, 350-425 are 12oclock. After than, you either need to dial, or know your drops. Honestly though, there aren't that many targets beyond 400. When there are, they get big. For instance with a 300yd zero, you would be looking at something in the ballpark of 35" drop at 500yds. 35" hold over is easy to figure out, if you have some idea of the target size. 600 is a bit more challenging at around 65-70" drop. Either need to get in some 600yd range time or dial that one. The supplied turrets are adaquate for the job. They click well and hold range well enough. A custom target turret can be purchased from Leupold. Just send in the scope with your balistic info.

Just as one other plug for the Prismatic in general... Even though this is a 1x optic, it does have a focus. My buddy is nearly blind and can get a perscription which gains him good vision within 100yds, but can't see targets beyond 100, well enough to shoot without glass. Yesterday, I asked him to try my rifle and adjust the focus for him. Bingo! He was able to see and hit the smallest targets at 400yds because he was actually looking at a clear picture only 4" away. So if you have been wanting to shoot Limited Division (tac iron), but can't see well enough, you might try looking through a Pris as it may be a functional option for you.

Edited by co-exprs

DCD is the only way to go.

I have a knob on mine - it isn't a custom dial but it is repeatable and accurate. I snagged a used LaRue mount and as others have said here, it's a must!

I used the knob once this year on the 400 yard target at FNH. It works...

Here's the shameless plug:

Edited by DyNo!

I'm not Kelly or James but I ran the Pris for a few matches last year. I based my holds based on dot widths. I would zero the dcd reticle at 250. Top of the dot was on at 200. 300 yard hold was the bottom of the dot or just touch the bottom of the dot to the top of the target. 400 yards was about 1 dot width above the target. 500 was about 1.5 dot widths.

Do the math based on around a 3moa dot and its pretty darn close. The circles just help out with hosing. Put the target in the circle and hose away.

Both Reticles have a dot at 3MOA......I'm going with the DCD, much better for hosin'

It finally happened this last weekend.....I could not focus on the target AND front sight anymore. Eyes are too old I guess. (So am I)

Being able to focus the reticle and wearing glasses....win win for me.

Tim

Get the DCD as it is the only reticle that is competitive. The Turkey Plex is simply too big for 3 gun.

I had hoped that Leupold would offer the Prismatic with some variation of the CMR2 reticle, which would totally be the heat for Tac Limited. It is already the best choice but that would make it the ONLY choice. I even held my breath at the factory, demanding that they do so. They let me pass out ......

If there is enough demand however, they might reconsider.

I've never used the Pris DCD or any Pris, so bear with my question: What makes the Pris more useful than an Aimpoint? Unless I missed someone's comment above, it seems people are just learning where to hold the center dot for holds for long shots, not using any particular holdovers from the reticle itself.

My question basically strays into to what Kelly said:

I had hoped that Leupold would offer the Prismatic with some variation of the CMR2 reticle, which would totally be the heat for Tac Limited.

So other than getting Leupy make a dial for the current DCD Pris, I'm curious why choose Pris over an Aimpoint?

Thanks for humoring me....I've never looked through a Pris or shot with one. :)

If there is enough demand however, they might reconsider.

Add me to the petition. :cheers:

Edited by AustinWolv

Etched reticle with a very well defined dot. No bloom effects (not really bad with an Aimpoint). Biggest thing for me was an adjustable rear focus (like a traditional rifle scope) and clear, bright glass. When shooting limited, being able to see the targets a little better always is a good thing.

I can hit 4moa targets out to 200yds equally well with my pris or my aimpoint. Between 200 and 300 my hit percentage is the same, but the Pris is faster. Beyond 300, the pris begins to outpace any red dot very quickly in both speed and hit ratio. It's simply easier to see that you are on target with the etched black dot. The aimpoint dot is listed as the same size, but the dot is not a perfect round dot, but rather the shape of the light source in the diode. The difference in time on short targets is insignificant compared with banging away on hard targets. In rifle shooting, accuracy equals speed.

Edited by co-exprs

The Prismatic is a non-magnified optics. Most matches are now allowing them in the Tac-Iron and Heavy-Metal-Iron Divisions.

I know it's picking nits, but technically the Prismatic is a magnified optic, it just magnifies 1X. Aimpoints are non-magnified, although often incorrectly referred to as 1X.

I have a knob on mine - it isn't a custom dial but it is repeatable and accurate. I snagged a used LaRue mount and as others have said here, it's a must!

No, the shame for the Spikes team showed up at the Topton 3man 3gun team match when you kept the money you won for the Wounded Warrior side match.

The purpose of the side match was to raise money for the Warriors not to pad your pockets!

No, the shame for the Spikes team showed up at the Topton 3man 3gun team match when you kept the money you won for the Wounded Warrior side match.

The purpose of the side match was to raise money for the Warriors not to pad your pockets!

Mr. Zaiss,

You have repeatedly made slanderous statements regarding the Spikes Tactical Shooting Team both to me and our sponsor. Your accusations are completely untrue and baseless. The side match was clearly advertised that half of the money would go to the Wounded Warrior Project and the winners would keep the rest. We shot a good stage and won the money. Around $500 went to Wounded Warrior and we kept $400 which lined the pockets of the rental car company. Please refrain from defaming my character by publishing this libel.

Regards,

Ben Powell

-Spikes Tactical Shooting Team

Mr. Zaiss,

You have repeatedly made slanderous statements regarding the Spikes Tactical Shooting Team both to me and our sponsor. Your accusations are completely untrue and baseless. The side match was clearly advertised that half of the money would go to the Wounded Warrior Project and the winners would keep the rest. We shot a good stage and won the money. Around $500 went to Wounded Warrior and we kept $400 which lined the pockets of the rental car company. Please refrain from defaming my character by publishing this libel.

Regards,

Ben Powell

-Spikes Tactical Shooting Team

Sorry but I feel the Wounded Warriors needed the money more than car rental fees which I am sure you included in your travel expenses.

Even though the "rules" said you could keep the money, it would have a nice thing to give the money back to people who need it more than you do.

It is because of them that you are allowed to shoot a side match at a 3gun event.

The buzz after the awards were surprise you did not give the money back.

Baseless! You admitted in your above statement that you kept the money!