Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38spl vs 357 WHY?

joestefano

I don't shoot the 627 but when I had a 610 I used 40S&W instead of 10mm even though I loaded then and could have loaded both to the same PF.

Reasons: 40 was shorter so easier to positively eject and the shorter case has less volume (closer to full when loaded) to cause potentially erratic pressures with light loads. I also feel the shorter round is easier to load into the cylinder.

I don't shoot the 627 but when I had a 610 I used 40S&W instead of 10mm even though I loaded then and could have loaded both to the same PF.

Reasons: 40 was shorter so easier to positively eject and the shorter case has less volume (closer to full when loaded) to cause potentially erratic pressures with light loads. I also feel the shorter round is easier to load into the cylinder.

+1 with what Mike said. You can also make the same velocities with less powder. :devil: Yea I'm cheap!

+1 Less powder, less air space in the case, faster reloads, more positive ejection- and cost. I guess if you are trying to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a .357, a .357 case might be advantageous due to a shorter "jump" to the throat but even .38 short colt seems to be plenty accurate for the practical shooting sports.

38spl can be loaded very light. Good round for recoil challenged people. My personal opinion is, if you buy a 357mag, shoot 357mag.

I much prefer to load all my loads for my .357 mag revolvers from the very light 38 special level loads to full house mags in magnum brass that way I don't have to spend forever cleaning the ring out of the chambers.

The real reason to use the .38 as another poster said was the shorter brass extracts more reliably and quicker.

Edited by Alaskapopo

+1 Less powder, less air space in the case, faster reloads, more positive ejection- and cost. I guess if you are trying to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a .357, a .357 case might be advantageous due to a shorter "jump" to the throat but even .38 short colt seems to be plenty accurate for the practical shooting sports.

+1, apparently Doug Carden has a short colt 50 yrd load. I don't think the jump has as much to do with accuracy as a good concentric crown, forcing cone and identical cylinder chambers. A well crafted 38 wadcutter does as well from a K or L frame PPC gun.

Edited by toothguy

The length of the case is not an issue. If your gun is mechanically correct, any case length will be accurate. What does matter is: proper alignment of the chamber to the barrel, proper size of the bullet to throat and barrel, quality forcing cone and muzzle crown, bullet weight and type, and correct velocity for rifling twist rate. The throat lines up the bullet before it gets to the barrel no matter what case it came out of. That is the function of the throat.

All the Smith revolvers that I know of have a twist rate of about 1:19. That is too slow to stabilize a slow target round like .38 wadcutter out to 50 yards. A faster twist from 1:10 to 1:14 will stabilize the target load.

As the velocity and/or bullet weight increase, the group size will decrease in a factory barrel at 50 yards. At hot .38 to .357 velocity, the factory barrel will shoot fairly good groups. A lot of new guns need some work to be mechanically to spec. Often recutting the forcing cone and muzzle crown can make a big difference.

The length of the case is not an issue. If your gun is mechanically correct, any case length will be accurate. What does matter is: proper alignment of the chamber to the barrel, proper size of the bullet to throat and barrel, quality forcing cone and muzzle crown, bullet weight and type, and correct velocity for rifling twist rate. The throat lines up the bullet before it gets to the barrel no matter what case it came out of. That is the function of the throat.

All the Smith revolvers that I know of have a twist rate of about 1:19. That is too slow to stabilize a slow target round like .38 wadcutter out to 50 yards. A faster twist from 1:10 to 1:14 will stabilize the target load.

As the velocity and/or bullet weight increase, the group size will decrease in a factory barrel at 50 yards. At hot .38 to .357 velocity, the factory barrel will shoot fairly good groups. A lot of new guns need some work to be mechanically to spec. Often recutting the forcing cone and muzzle crown can make a big difference.

Warren, don't you also want to make sure it's properly Taylor Throated? :D

L frame + 38 special = most better control

If your desire it's shooting 357 full loads*, it's another way of play.

* have no sense reload a 357 brass with 38 power, only slower on reloads.

On tipycal shooting distances (Idpa, Icore) not affect the accuracy.