Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 40 cal mags

Jromanowski

I just started shooting my first .40 cal glock. I have the glock brand 15 round mags. If i load the mags all the way to 15 it is very hard to push the mag all the way in. Once I push it all the way in, it is tough to pull the slide back. I had a similar problem when I loaded 11 into my 10 round g17 mags. Anybody else have this issue?

Jromanowski

2 possibles. 1) load your mag with the slide on your weapon locked open, or 2) load the mags with 14 (-1) rounds. I haven't had that problem, though, with my G22. I also use Dawson (and Arendondo) mag extensions with no problems.

Have the same challenge with both my 23 and 35. Cost me a DQ in a match over the weekend. I spent a lot of time researching this over the past couple days and it appears from reports from other that the correct method to load a full mag is with the slide open.

I will be loading my mags to -1 for all matches from now on. I carry 5 mags so I don't think I will have an ammo shortage. I would rather have to change mags as opposed to having feed issues.

My DQ was due to racking the slide with my finger still near the trigger, which is one of the deadly sins. The Mag was full and did not seat all the way.

Lesson learned.

Out of my 8 range mags 2 will not go to 15 rounds period, i think it has something to do with the followers as their are several gens of followers. I do have several mags that will go to 15 rounds reloadable with the slide forward so they are out their. One time i cleaned all my range mags and went to put the pile back together and found out i had 4 or 5 different followers out of 8 mags. The few that i do have that are reloadable to 15 cycle with minor ammo and a 13lb spring.

Maybe grab a few more mags and mark any that go to 15 reloadable. Or as stated previously just download to 14.

I just started shooting my first .40 cal glock. I have the glock brand 15 round mags. If i load the mags all the way to 15 it is very hard to push the mag all the way in. Once I push it all the way in, it is tough to pull the slide back. I had a similar problem when I loaded 11 into my 10 round g17 mags. Anybody else have this issue?

Why are you loading 11 in a 10 round mag?????

If your mags are new, the the springs are just that...new and stiff. After some use, you'll find that this problem will go away.

+1

Why are you loading 11 in a 10 round mag?????

If your mags are new, the the springs are just that...new and stiff. After some use, you'll find that this problem will go away.

+1

By accident, I wasn't paying attention to how many I put in. I didn't realize it until my first reload when my slide didn't go all the way back.

Tested this today with a full mag, you can actually see the bullet hitting the bottom of the Slide with it closed and it won't seat. It will seat fine with the Slide open. I am sure this has to do with the new magazine springs being tight. I am sure you could Slam it in, but not while doing it at speed, and if you all ready have one in the chamber, racking it won't help. So I added the Glock +2 Baseplates and load to 15 which seems to work OK. With 4 mags I can carry 60 rounds which should get me through most USPSA stages.

I have looked at the Arredondo Glock +5 Mag Extensions, just a little spendy, figured I would wait a bit and see how the Stages go.

I am shooting this Sunday at another range, so I will be able to see how it works out.

At least one or two +5s is definitely worth it. With 15s it takes 2 reloads to finish a 32 round stage over 1 with 20 rounders. They are definitely cheaper than sti maga

I will keep my eye out for sales, or gently used ones.

Thanks!

The new Taran Tactical basepads are nice. I have been trying out a set. They do indeed hold 20, although that last round is tight. Maybe working the springs a little more will help with that. They are machined very nice and do go on and off without any tools.

DSC_0002.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I havent used them in a match yet. I hoping they will drop easier. I put a dawson ice super heavy mag well on my gun. The first problem that I had was that i had a hard time pushing the mags all the way in with the mag well in place. Second during a couple of the reloads I had to shake the gun a little bit to get the mag to drop. i figured these mags extensions would help with both. I haven't shot with them yet, but I like the feel.

A lot has to do with the followers. Some have more material at the base than the others do. I have 4 magazines with Dawson pads on them and 2 are 20 round reloadable the other two hold 20 rounds but are 19 round reloadable. Just swapping the followers I can make all 4 tubes 20 round reloadable.