Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molot/VEPRs finally to arrive in the US

gose

Since this was kinda hidden in another thread, I'll start a new one :)

The Molots have been used in IPSC over in Europe for quite a while now with great success, but up until lately they werent being imported into the US. However, it looks like that is going to change now, since both Centerfire and Mississippi auto arms are taking pre-orders with estimated delivery end of Oct/early Nov.

At $999 it comes with a pistol grip, picatinny rail and mag well, so you should be able to get a competitive Open gun for much less than the current $3000 Saiga conversions, slap on a comp, a sight, maybe a new stock and trigger and you're pretty much good to go.

VEPR-12-D.jpg

Interesting-they only come with a 5-rd magazine. Are larger ones going to be available?

Larger ones are available already. AFAIK, Saiga mags fit, but might need minor modifications. There are also Molot factory 8 rounders that dont fit Saigas, as well as +2 and +7 extensions.

I'm no laywer,but, don't a bunch of parts need to be changed, to be 922 compliant, before being able to legally use a hi-cap mag?

I see, in another thread, that some of the europen shooters that already have Molots, are going to Akdals. :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no laywer,but, don't a bunch of parts need to be changed, to be 922 compliant, before being able to legally use a hi-cap mag?

I see, in another thread, that some of the europen shooters that already have Molots, are going to Akdals. :surprise:

Correct - if you want to run >5 round mags you have to change out all the usual compliance parts.

Given the inherent issues with the Saiga platform, I'd still go the Akdal route myself.

Correct - if you want to run >5 round mags you have to change out all the usual compliance parts.

Given the inherent issues with the Saiga platform, I'd still go the Akdal route myself.

Yea inherent issues like having higher cap mags and lower recoil. :rolleyes:

These new guns are also not Saigas thier Molots. Different company entirely.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Pat

I'm not anti-Saiga at all - until recently I owned one myself. I got rid of it because, although it was totally reliable and a blast to shoot, I could not get over the nagging feeling that if anything broke I would be SOL... spare parts are made from unobtainium. That every Saiga 12 seemed to be made slightly different, and it was a roll of the dice if the gun ran or not, did not give me a warm and fuzzy. If Molot are importing a comprehensive selection of spare parts, then I stand corrected.

The 922r issue is, of course, a wash. The Saiga 12, Molot and Akdal all require compliance parts to make the 3-Gun ready.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Pat

I'm not anti-Saiga at all - until recently I owned one myself. I got rid of it because, although it was totally reliable and a blast to shoot, I could not get over the nagging feeling that if anything broke I would be SOL... spare parts are made from unobtainium. That every Saiga 12 seemed to be made slightly different, and it was a roll of the dice if the gun ran or not, did not give me a warm and fuzzy. If Molot are importing a comprehensive selection of spare parts, then I stand corrected.

The 922r issue is, of course, a wash. The Saiga 12, Molot and Akdal all require compliance parts to make the 3-Gun ready.

The spare parts issue is getting better as R&R is making bolt carriers now and other parts on the saiga are common with standard AK's.

Pat